PDA

View Full Version : This is the time to promote Ubuntu

ShagzModo
January 29th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hi All....

Tomorrow will be the launch of uncle Bill's new OS.
The System requirements needed to run Vista are a good reason to choose a good alternative.

I'm a long time linux user, and I have been promoting it amongst friends colleagues and family.

Let's all promote UBUNTU!
This is really the time to get more people to use linux....

rgds,

Shagsmodo

Lord Darth Vader
January 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM
This is exactly what I have done since I started using Ubuntu more than 3 months ago. However I have to say that most of the people are afraid of changing their habits when it comes to OS they use. I think it is a common belief that Linux is for expert IT people. I am not sure what can change this concept as it is not the case anymore, I believe.
I gave up using windows after one week of trying Ubuntu on my laptop.

some_random_noob
January 29th, 2007, 08:42 AM
With you all the way!

- I baggs New Zealand :D

Goober
January 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Ahh, VISTA ... I have had XP for 4 years now. In that time, twice it has corrupted itself so bad that I was forced to go to Linux. In fact, XP's inability to be a constant and consistent OS is what led me to Ubuntu in the first place.

I have a friend who is going to be installing Edgy - He's seen it in my Computer, and loves it. All of my friends are like me, poor College students living from month to month with fairly basic computers, that run XP decently. That is not nearly good enough for VISTA however. And there have been so many reports about VISTA not allowing 3rd party applications and such that I honestly believe that VISTA will not be as big of a hit as some think it will be. All that I can say is that I will do my part, and good luck!

3rdalbum
January 29th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Vista will be as big a hit as DRMed audio CDs: people will be forced either to buy or go without, and they'll choose to buy, but they won't like it.

I just encountered my first DRMed audio CD. All those boffins at SonyBMG and all those millions of dollars couldn't prevent me from ripping the tracks with my 2nd optical drive (/dev/hdd) :-)

atu
January 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Hi,
It's sad to read that the most reasons not to use vista are technical ones. There are other reasons which play major roles in my decision. Think about.

adam.tropics
January 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hi,
It's sad to read that the most reasons not to use vista are technical ones. There are other reasons which play major roles in my decision. Think about.

I don't know about sad....for me, since I am happy with my current setup (hardware wise) and am not in the market for a new computer, I just can't justify the cost. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy using Ubuntu and have no urge to change in that respect, but I would like to get to grips with Vista too at some point. If for no other reason than knowing the ins and outs of the choices available to me. I guess I will wait till the next computer and keep the freebie!

Sunnz
January 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM
badvista/fsf has a campaign thing on the release date I think... those who live in the US might be able to help.

HotForLinux
July 31st, 2009, 02:38 AM
Promote GNU-Linux / Ubuntu in your e-mails - Ubuntu signature (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1227349)

overdrank
July 31st, 2009, 02:41 AM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5451/necromancing.jpg