PDA

View Full Version : Licence / music question

Polygon
January 29th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I have been contemplating making a flash movie in my free time ( once i find some... lol) but i have a question that has been bugging me:

I was contemplating using the creative commons license to license my work, but i have a few questions

The thing is, im going to have music which isnt mine (as in from a cd that i bought, non free). Should i even bother to ask for permission to use the music? I have a feeling that even if i do ask, they wont respond.

and If i select "allow commercial use", is that illegal cause it has stuff that isnt mine (the music)?

thx :D

banjobacon
January 29th, 2007, 03:03 AM
You probably can't license the work as a whole with a CC license without permission from the song's copyright holder.

Go ahead and ask for permission to use the song. If that doesn't work out, maybe you can find a CC-licensed song you can work with instead.

banjobacon
January 29th, 2007, 03:12 AM
From the Creative Commons website:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Before_Licensing

Make sure you have the rights

Before applying a Creative Commons license to a work, you need to make sure you have the authority to do so. This means that you need to make sure that the person who owns the copyright in the work is happy to have the work made available under a Creative Commons license.

If you are the creator of the work, then you are probably the owner of copyright and so can license the work how you wish. If you made the work as part of our employment, then your employer probably owns the rights to the work and so only your employer can decide to apply a Creative Commons license. If you made the work under an agreement, you need to check the terms of that agreement to see if the rights to the work were transferred to someone else.

If you are combining pre-existing works made by other people or working in conjunction with other people to produce something, you need to make sure that you have express and explicit permission to apply a Creative Commons license to the end result. You don’t have this kind of permission in the case of, say, a Madonna CD or a Italo Calvino novel, that you purchase, because these are made available under “all rights reserved” copyright. You can only secure this kind of permission if you are in direct contact with the person, discuss Creative Commons licensing with them and they agree to a specific license; of course, if you are combining a work that is already Creative Commons-licensed then you will also have the rights! (provided your use is consistent with the terms of that license)

Polygon
January 29th, 2007, 03:26 AM
thanks for that, ah well. I just create my own licence then. thanks