PDA

View Full Version : Aim 6

dbbolton
January 29th, 2007, 02:46 AM
has anyone else tried this program ? what did you think ?

here's what i like about it:
- nice interface
- features that have been available on trillian for ages (like tabs, "friendly names," and improved buddy list tool-tips)

here's what i don't like about it:
- ads
- uses about 30MB of RAM while idling
- runs suspicious background process "aolsoftware.exe" (which uses another 10MB of RAM). this process automatically regenerates if ended while aim6.exe (the main executable) is running, and does not terminate when aim6.exe is ended. if aolsoftware.exe is deleted, or its content is erased with notepad, then aim6.exe will not run. i suspect that aolsoftware.exe is what gathers all of the private information about you, your computer, and your usage of the program mentioned blatantly in the end-user agreement.

i think that i'll stick with trillian.

FuturePilot
January 29th, 2007, 03:09 AM
I don't like it. Triton was pretty good. I think they killed a somewhat good instant messenger with AIM 6. You can't log in as invisible anymore. And they changed all the menus around. One thing I found annoying was that even if you set it so that it doesn't run at start up, and you run it a few times, it starts running at start up despite you telling it not to. Basically they took an OK IM and turned it bad.

dbbolton
January 29th, 2007, 04:19 AM
the menus are pretty bad, but i feel they integrate well with other windows apps.

blaqmarket
March 9th, 2007, 06:04 AM
is it possible to get aim 6 to work in ubuntu? because compared to gaim i like it much much more

karellen
March 9th, 2007, 08:47 AM
in windows I use only yahoo mess and google talk, in ubuntu only gaim for all my accounts

Cloudy
March 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I don't like the 6.0 interface at all, maybe I'm just being too critical but it seems like they dumped all the good stuff from prior releases and replaced with, um, not-so-good stuff. :P

John Boardman
March 28th, 2007, 01:19 AM
AIM is simply an acronym for AOL Instant Messaging, a product of America On-line. - AOLsofttware.exe is an essential part of the program - you can't run AIM without it. It is not a virus or a Trojan and does not harvest personal information. AIM can be turned off but normally it runs in the background in case someone tries to use AIM to reach you.

That said, I find it annoying that aolsoftware.exe it can have multiple copies running at the same time, thereby taking up memory. You can use taskmaster to delete all or some of these copies from RAM with no difficulty - AOL products (including AIM) will retrieve them when activated if needed.

dbbolton
March 28th, 2007, 02:36 AM
i'm pretty sure that aim 5 just requires aim.exe to run.

bigee1212
March 28th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Why would you use aim 6? It's too clunky. If you have to use a client from AOL, just use the old AIM (version 5.9 I think).

Or better yet, use the gaim beta, it's extremely stable on my windows partition.

dbbolton
March 28th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Why would you use aim 6? It's too clunky. If you have to use a client from AOL, just use the old AIM (version 5.9 I think).

Or better yet, use the gaim beta, it's extremely stable on my windows partition.
i use trillian basic.

igknighted
March 30th, 2007, 04:45 PM
i use trillian basic.

w00t, I dropped the $15 for trillian pro a few years back and I've never regretted it... well, aside from the fact that I cannot use it on Linux.

booksbuggy
October 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM
well Gaim is something like Trillian......... Won't it be fun if they link Gaim with trillian :D

forger
October 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM
you resurrected a really old thread booksbuggy :) gaim is now known as pidgin (http://pidgin.im)