PDA

View Full Version : Free Plugin for streaming files like in youtube?

PartisanEntity
January 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Hello all,

As far as I understood it, sites like google video and youtube use a flash plug-in to display and stream the videos that are uploaded on to their servers.

My question is, how hard/easy would it be to set something similar up on a hosted server to use privately between friends?

SSTwinrova
January 29th, 2007, 12:49 AM
The plugin is what is required by your browser to see the Flash. If you mean you want to set up a private YouTube/Google Video site, there may be some free projects geared towards that, but in order to just view the movie, nothing special is done besides just inserting the Flash movie into the page.

RAV TUX
January 29th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hello all,

As far as I understood it, sites like google video and youtube use a flash plug-in to display and stream the videos that are uploaded on to their servers.

My question is, how hard/easy would it be to set something similar up on a hosted server to use privately between friends?

you could host a SMF forum and then use a modification to share videos like youtube and googlevideo in the forum

banjobacon
January 29th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Doing a simple search on Google, this was the first result: http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=Flash_Video_Player

It seems to be a flash player for displaying FLV files on websites. You'd still have to generate the FLV file yourself, though. Maybe ffmpeg or mencoder can do that.