PDA

View Full Version : Financing a dedicated bug fixer?

tomplast
January 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I was thinking if we all users could start a fund where we would raise money for a full time job for a person would commit fixes to bugs within the software supported in Ubuntu. What do you think about that?

I was thinking if we all users could start a fund where we would raise money for a full time job for a person would commit fixes to bugs within the software supported in Ubuntu. What do you think about that?

Sorry for double-posting. I just wanted to change bug hunter to bug fixer in the title but got two threads instead :/. Is there no delete buton?

RAV TUX
January 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Sorry for double-posting. I just wanted to change bug hunter to bug fixer in the title but got two threads instead :/. Is there no delete buton?

threads and post merged.

aysiu
January 28th, 2007, 10:12 AM
You can post a bounty on Launchpad.
https://launchpad.net/bounties/

tomplast
January 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM
You can post a bounty on Launchpad.
https://launchpad.net/bounties/

I do not talk about any specific bounty... If you read my text I'm talking about if we all could raise money so we could hire someone who then could work dedicated with fixing bugs...

aysiu
January 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I do not talk about any specific bounty... If you read my text I'm talking about if we all could raise money so we could hire someone who then could work dedicated with fixing bugs...
If we were raising money, who would be in charge of keeping that money? How would the person "we" hire be assured the income flow would be steady? Would there be an organization watching over the funds? Where would the funds be kept? Would this organization have to file non-profit status? Would it have a business manager?

The logistics could get really messy.

maniacmusician
January 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
If we were raising money, who would be in charge of keeping that money? How would the person "we" hire be assured the income flow would be steady? Would there be an organization watching over the funds? Where would the funds be kept? Would this organization have to file non-profit status? Would it have a business manager?

The logistics could get really messy.
Bingo.

The only way I can think of to get around that is if we donate the money to canonical and they hire someone. like a community-funded salary :) but as aysiu said, it wouldn't be a steady income, and not a very appealing job. Also, thats a really general specification. How can one person or even a small team of people try to fix all the bugs? Isn't that what developers are for?

In addition, many (if not most) bugs are upstream-related, meaning that they're the responsibility of the people who created the buggy application. Sure we could try to fix their bugs, but they may not even accept our patches. Also, each application will have a different style of coding (and different programming language), so a significant amount ot time may have to be spent on just a handful of apps, whereas it would take the original coder much less time. The best way is to probably just report upstream bugs to the responsible party.

Basically, it'd require an army for what you want, not a single person or small team.

Unless I'm just off my rocker and misunderstood you. Hey, it is 5:30 am, almost, and I haven't slept yet. [getting around to that]