PDA

View Full Version : Why do you choose your browser over others?

Hex_Mandos
January 28th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I always like looking at different software, and browsers are one of my favorite programs to explore. I personally like Firefox, having tried other good alternatives like Opera, Konqueror, Seamonkey and Flock. But I always keep wondering why others use the browsers they use, especially in the Linux world where pretty much everybody knows that there are alternatives to the default options. Why do you choose your browser over others? (Please, don't use this thread to bash other browsers. I might like Firefox, but I'm not going to bash its competition, there are several worthy products out there)

Myself: I use Firefox mainly because of its extensibility. I like being able to customize its functionality to my needs. I also like its handling of RSS feeds, and I find its default handling of tabs much more comfortable than Seamonkey or Flock's (browsers that have some degree of compatibility with FF, all stemming from the common Mozilla source). Finally, it's (mostly) Free as in Freedom, and I value that (although I occasionally use proprietary software).

Tomosaur
January 28th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I use Firefox mostly, just because I'm used to it. I do really like Opera, but it's interface doesn't seem as clean to me as Firefox. I've tried Flock before, but I wasn't too impressed with it. I can see why lots of people like it, since it promotes community and such, but it's just not something which interests me.

bionnaki
January 28th, 2007, 04:49 AM
I use firefox.
although I do really love konqueror - there are just a few things that it cannot do that firefox can.

ComplexNumber
January 28th, 2007, 05:01 AM
i use FF because .....well, i only have to go through the following thought processes:
a) IE is out of the question for many reasons and because of lack of trust in it
b) the other main one is opera, and although i have heard good things about it, the way i see it is: if its not broken, don't fix it. firefox does me fine. i'm used to the extensions the way firefox does them. it integrates fairly well into gnome.

therefore, i see no reason to change.

pseudo_nz
January 28th, 2007, 05:29 AM
I use firefox.
although I do really love konqueror - there are just a few things that it cannot do that firefox can.

Like what? I use firefox at the moment, but I want to try Konqueror (I just can't get kmail to open links straight to it, in spite of advice from people here).

I tried Opera back when I was using XP, but I didn't like the way it dealt with emails, so gave up and went back to firefox.

RandomJoe
January 28th, 2007, 05:33 AM
I started using Firefox when it was able to work better than the other alternatives at the time. Now, Konq and others are perfectly capable - perhaps even better. But I *know* Firefox, and I like how it works. Guess now I'm kinda like all those people who won't change off IE for anything... :D

Others are good, but since I don't have a reason to switch I don't bother. Firefox doesn't give me problems, and they don't offer features compelling enough for me to change.

aysiu
January 28th, 2007, 05:36 AM
I'm with ComplexNumber and RandomJoe.

At the time I picked Firefox, it offered all the functionality I needed, and I've found no reasons to explore anything else extensively.

Now, Opera and Konqueror are pretty fully featured (the latest release of Opera in particular has a lot of goodies that I usually cover with Firefox extensions), but I've just grown so accustomed to the way Firefox does stuff that I've stuck with it. There's no compelling reason for me to switch to Opera. The learning curve is too steep to get a fraction of a second faster browsing speed and a closed source browser. With tabbed browsing, speed isn't a factor for me in choosing a web browser.

FyreBrand
January 28th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I use Konqueror for 80% of my browsing and Firefox for the other 20%. Firefox works better for me on some Java based sites such as Moodles and Google. I have all features available on those sites in Firefox. I also like how I can sync my browser via GoogleSync between home and work. I love the combo of NoScript and adblock. It's fun to surf with a browser that puts control in your hands.

Other than that I would use Konqueror for everything from browsing to just everything. I love Konq and it's super powerful. I can sftp/ssh into my web folders and it's just like a directory on my own hard drive. It's just another thing I love about Linux and what makes this OS so fun to use and explore.

I use Opera for testing web pages in. I like Opera, but The first two suit my needs.

teet
January 28th, 2007, 05:43 AM
b) the other main one is opera, and although i have heard good things about it, the way i see it is: if its not broken, don't fix it. firefox does me fine. i'm used to the extensions the way firefox does them. it integrates fairly well into gnome.

I agree.

It takes quite a lot to get me to switch a program I use on a daily basis. The new program has to not only be AS GOOD as the old program, but it has to offer me something more to give me incentive to put the time in to switch/get accustomed to it.

-teet

Hex_Mandos
January 28th, 2007, 05:43 AM
pseudo_nz: Konqueror is a good browser: It's 100% standards-compliant, does everything we expect from a browser, is plugin-compatible (I used to think it wasn't) and has some nifty tricks (like an easy way to change the way it's identified). However, it doesn't display things like my WordPress TinyMCE editor nicely, and doesn't allow me to resize it. And in my Wordpress 2.1 installation, I can't use the tabbed editor. I use WordPress daily, so I can't use Konqueror.

Also, I don't want my RSS feeds to be handled by Akgregator. I use online services, because I don't want to reconfigure my reader every time I format my drive. I prefer the way Firefox does feeds.

23meg
January 28th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Firefox. I simply can't give up the functionality of some extensions (Scrapbook and Greasemonkey in special), and it's open source, unlike Opera, which is the only other browser I'd consider using full time.

kevinlyfellow
January 28th, 2007, 05:54 AM
When I was first using linux, there were no good browsers for linux. I jumped between galeon, netscape, mozilla and konqueror (my fav at the time, although, it was uncomfortable since I use gnome!). Finally one came along that just felt right, firebird. Extensions were coming out and man was that sweet. Really the extensions have provided me with a browser that is customized to me and no one else, and that is just simply cool. In fact, my favorite extension is NukeAnything, and when on other browsers (and other people's ff) I'm always looking for the remove button. I also like ff because it is open. It also looks nice in gnome, so thats another good reason for me to use it. I went back to windows for about a year and when using ie, I realize how dependent I became of tabbed browsing.

I considered using epiphany for a while, but it was frustrating and not worth it. I did this because I have some paranoid fears that Mozilla Corp will become evil.

So I guess that I choose firefox because it came at the right time for me and then I got locked into its features. I guess that if I needed to choose another browser I would look for customizability. I really want it to do the things that I want it to do, and not what the developers choose for me (as I write this from gnome :-b).

Bezmotivnik
January 28th, 2007, 06:06 AM
I use FireFox for the extensions.

I had a total nosebleed of a time with Opera in both Linux and XP,

DJ_Peng
January 28th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I first started using Firefox because it wasn't IE, and I had tried Opera before and wasn't thrilled with it. I still use Opera and IE to check my web pages, but my daily surfing goes in Firefox. I stuck with it mainly because I can use it the was I want to. I may not have my browser extended to hell and back like some have, but I have a nice list of extensions installed.

I've taken to liking Firefox so much that I started testing early versions about a year or so ago. and I love how responsive the developers are to the users. I've seen a number of items brought up by the users that have been fixed within a few nightly builds, and I've seen how fast they get vulnerabilities fixed. It's that kind of attention to the little things with users that got my loyalty. Plus I can't wait to try out what they're working on for Firefox 3. Now if we could only get IE Tab working in Linux with IEs4Linux to mak eit easier to check tings out...

kevCast
January 28th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Firefox for now because it's the best, but once Songbird gets the kinks figured out, I'll probably be using that.

Spr0k3t
January 28th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I'm in the depths of FireFox. I used to have Opera and used it religiously over anything else. Then I found I could configure FireFox the same way I had Opera set... no turning back now. I've steered clear from IE since it's inception, even before Microsoft swallowed the company who created it. However, when I'm cruising through questionable material, text only through the terminal with a Lynx alternative.

RAV TUX
January 28th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I always like looking at different software, and browsers are one of my favorite programs to explore. I personally like Firefox, having tried other good alternatives like Opera, Konqueror, Seamonkey and Flock. But I always keep wondering why others use the browsers they use, especially in the Linux world where pretty much everybody knows that there are alternatives to the default options. Why do you choose your browser over others? (Please, don't use this thread to bash other browsers. I might like Firefox, but I'm not going to bash its competition, there are several worthy products out there)

Myself: I use Firefox mainly because of its extensibility. I like being able to customize its functionality to my needs. I also like its handling of RSS feeds, and I find its default handling of tabs much more comfortable than Seamonkey or Flock's (browsers that have some degree of compatibility with FF, all stemming from the common Mozilla source). Finally, it's (mostly) Free as in Freedom, and I value that (although I occasionally use proprietary software).

I never limit myself to 1 anything, whether it is an OS or browser

I primarily use 3 browsers...

1. Firefox:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061117 Firefox/2.0

2. Konqueror
3.5.5 in KDE 3.5.5

3. Opera:
Opera/9.10 (X11; Linux i686; U; en)
Build: 521, System: i686, 2.6.19-gentoo-r4, Qt library: 3.3.6,
Java Runtime Environment installed

black_magician
January 28th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I use Firefox exclusively. I just love the ablitlity of some extensions out there. No more ad's, Tabs, Live Bookmarks, FasterFox, and I generally try to stick with Open Source software whenever possible.

riven0
January 28th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I use Opera because it's the fastest and best looking browser out there. It also has nifty little extensions, like the eyeglass bar, the note taker and the widgets. Its memory footprint is smaller than Firefox, also.

raul_
January 28th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Epiphany. It's gnome-ish and i like the thought that i don't depend on extensions :) although epiphany has a LOT of extensions. I think epiphany is big time underrated

RAV TUX
January 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Epiphany. It's gnome-ish and i like the thought that i don't depend on extensions :) although epiphany has a LOT of extensions. I think epiphany is big time underratedagreed

aysiu
January 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM
It has a lot?

More than what's listed in these two links?
http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/extensions
http://mike.depalatis.net/epiphany/extensions.html

If so, I'm curious and may try Epiphany again.

raul_
January 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I'll add this one

http://www.sstuhr.dk/epiphany-extensions/

It's not Firefox-like extensions that do your taxes, check for new content in your favorite rss feed, while instant-messaging, and still serve coffee.

But the "find as you type" extension is very useful and one of the things that i missed from Firefox. With a "LOT" i meant that you can really customize Epiphany and get past that raw feel.

If I may ask, is there any reason you use Firefox, besides the fact that you're used to it?

jongkind
January 28th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Epiphany. It's gnome-ish and i like the thought that i don't depend on extensions :) although epiphany has a LOT of extensions. I think epiphany is big time underrated

Very true. I just fits naturally in Gnome, it is light, but yet very powerful.

aysiu
January 28th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Firefox does everything I need it to do, and it has all the extensions I want.

RAV TUX
January 28th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I never limit myself to 1 anything, whether it is an OS or browser

I primarily use 3 browsers...

1. Firefox:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061117 Firefox/2.0

2. Konqueror
3.5.5 in KDE 3.5.5

3. Opera:
Opera/9.10 (X11; Linux i686; U; en)
Build: 521, System: i686, 2.6.19-gentoo-r4, Qt library: 3.3.6,
Java Runtime Environment installed

Edit updated to Firefox:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20070128 Firefox/2.0.0.1

and I have installed Epiphany:
GNOME Web Browser 2.16.2