PDA

View Full Version : Linux Ubuntu and Mac OSX

NeoGreen
January 27th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I recently purchased a Macbook and realized that the Mac is a Linux based system. I am correct? I really never used a Mac before and saw that the Mac OS had the same similarities as my Ubuntu Laptop. Can someone explain to me or educate me on the Mac OS and Linux. Thanks.

aidanr
January 27th, 2007, 10:28 PM
no, linux and mac are based on unix, lots of info on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Unix.svg

EdThaSlayer
January 27th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Both use Unix so the terminal commands are very similar. Mac OS does use some opensource/free software as part of their code.

MedivhX
January 27th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Yes MacOS has many opensource elements (but Idon't know how is it possible) including its core Mach microkernel, that is also part of GNU/HURD.

Mateo
January 27th, 2007, 10:55 PM
what about the old Apple/Mac OSes, are they based on unix too?

MedivhX
January 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Uhm... I guess so... Search Wikipedia a bit, you'll find verything there (in case if you don't know that)

Just a little off-topic: Does anyone have the problem that bean count is always the same. It's not very important to me but it just stabs my eyes...

reacocard
January 27th, 2007, 11:03 PM

No they're not. Apple completely rebuilt Mac for OS X, which is why it needs the 'classic' environment installed to use older software.

Artemis3
January 27th, 2007, 11:17 PM
MacOS X (not "mac", or MacOS) is based on a "unix like" os, as much as gnu/linux is also a "unix like" os. There is no such thing as "unix" anymore. Many are derivatives from it, and some are built from scratch. In the case of MacOS X, it shares some common root elements with Nextstep, which in turn shares some with BSD, and then this with unix. You could say its closer to the *BSDs than linux. In fact linux has nothing to do with it; except they are both "unix like" oses. But MacOS X runs a different graphic interface than most "unix like" oses.

Mac OS X is based on the Mach kernel and is derived from the BSD implementation of Unix in NEXTSTEP.

Its core, named Darwin, is an open source, Unix-like operating system built on top of the XNU kernel, with standard Unix facilities available from the command line interface. Apple layered over Darwin a number of proprietary components, including the Aqua interface and the Finder, to complete the GUI-based operating system which is Mac OS X. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macos_x

RAV TUX
January 27th, 2007, 11:25 PM
moving to the Mac OS X forum

NeoGreen
January 30th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the information. I really learned alot from this.:D

mips
January 31st, 2007, 10:14 AM
Have a look at this to get some idea as to the origins of OSX/Darwin and other unix flavours.

http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html

-

Alfa989
January 31st, 2007, 07:12 PM

Nope

Alfa989
January 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM
Uhm... I guess so... Search Wikipedia a bit, you'll find verything there (in case if you don't know that)

Just a little off-topic: Does anyone have the problem that bean count is always the same. It's not very important to me but it just stabs my eyes...

No

Moulton
February 2nd, 2007, 05:31 AM
The version of Unix in OS X is known as Darwin, and it's derived from BSD Unix.

slimdog360
February 2nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
they can sell it and base it on opensource software because BSD is licenced under the lgpl licence. Which is the same sort of thing as gpl only it allows people to sell it.

Auria
February 2nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
they can sell it and base it on opensource software because BSD is licenced under the lgpl licence. Which is the same sort of thing as gpl only it allows people to sell it.

Note quite - you CAN sell GPL stuff as well as LGPL stuff - the licenses are not about selling but about freedom. Actually, lgpl is like GPl expect that code can be used in non-free programs