PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on an iMac

the.dark.lord
January 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I got a new iMac recently :D . I couldn't figure out how to run Ubuntu on it, and before you ask I have mac version of Ubuntu. It doesn't load boot disks at startup - not by default, anyway. Help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Frak
January 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM
If its new, you probably want the Intel version. Apple swapped PPC's for Intels, so you want the first option.

Keith Hedger
January 27th, 2007, 06:04 PM
try rebboting and holding down the 'C' key if not try the 'ALT' key this is slower but will give you a list of all bootable disks.
when you say a "new" imac is it an intel ? as ihave had no problems installing ubunto on an 800Mz imac (the dome one- and the last decent bit of hardware apple produced!) , an old 300Mz ibook clamshell and a brand new 1.8Mz alliminium powerbook (what a peice of c**p every week it seems another bit of hardware goes wrong - no more apples for me!).

hope this helps

the.dark.lord
January 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
try rebboting and holding down the 'C' key if not try the 'ALT' key this is slower but will give you a list of all bootable disks.
when you say a "new" imac is it an intel ? as ihave had no problems installing ubunto on an 800Mz imac (the dome one- and the last decent bit of hardware apple produced!) , an old 300Mz ibook clamshell and a brand new 1.8Mz alliminium powerbook (what a peice of c**p every week it seems another bit of hardware goes wrong - no more apples for me!).

hope this helps

Yup, its Intel. And thanks a lot.

the.dark.lord
January 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM

hope this helps

Hey, I tried out all you said. 'C' doesn't gimme anything, while ALT showed me only the Mac HD. Anything else that I could do?

Keith Hedger
January 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM
as frak said above you need an intel boot disk not the 'mac' version which is ppc and obviously not bootable by an intel mac im not sure which version you should use as i dont know much about intel macs search the forums for intel mac boot disk

hope u sort it out as ubunto is SO much better than OSX in every way that counts!

the.dark.lord
January 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM
And where do I get the Intel version, please?

Frak
January 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Whenever you go to the page to download the ISO image, choose the first option, the x86 version, as it was made for Intel and AMD x86 processors.