PDA

View Full Version : Which Firefox do you use?

navneeth
January 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
If you are a Firefox user under Ubuntu, which version do you use?

I'd also like to know if you faced any specific problems with the Ubuntu version that made you choose the "real" one.

Right now, I use the latest Ubuntu version under 6.10

In case you have both, if that's possible, choose the one which you frequently use.

geek_Man
January 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
What exactly is the difference?

pmj
January 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I use the Mozilla version because the session saving feature is broken in Ubuntu's version. I seem to be the only one that has this problem, though.

chickengirl
January 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'm using Gran Paradiso (the alpha for Firefox 3.0) because... I'm like that.

fuscia
January 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM
swiftfox. i like the icon, it's fast and i had trouble with firefox in edgy.

navneeth
January 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM
What exactly is the difference?

AFAIK, the Ubuntu version has to go through the hands of the Ubuntu guys before you can get your hands on it. :D It's customised to "fit" Ubuntu, I guess (whatever that means!). One result of this is that you don't get to play with the latest version as soon as it is out, and the update feature is also disabled.

Whenever I open a pdf within Firefox (in Ubuntu with the Adobe plugin), I'm not able to do much until the whole document is downloaded. I had this problem in Windows, too, in pre-1.5 days I think, but it was all right later. I'm thinking of changing to pure Mozilla to see if it helps any.

EdThaSlayer
January 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I use the latest one. It doesn't have the proper firefox icon though(so you can count it as the "Ubuntu version").I updated mine via http://www.psychocats.net.

navneeth
January 27th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I use the latest one. It doesn't have the proper firefox icon though(so you can count it as the "Ubuntu version").I updated mine via http://www.psychocats.net.

What do you mean by the "latest one"?

PrinceArithon
January 27th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I use the Ubuntu one. I just dumped faster fox on it and then hacked it by turning the ipv6 off and now it runs pretty damn fast.

Crashmaxx
January 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I use Swiftfox, why is it not in the poll? Its faster and has a cooler icon.

BoneSaw
January 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I use Swiftfox, why is it not in the poll? Its faster and has a cooler icon.

same here

Coop
January 27th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I use the Ubuntu version of Firefox 2.0 that comes with Ubuntu 6.10.

RAV TUX
January 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM
If you are a Firefox user under Ubuntu, which version do you use?

I'd also like to know if you faced any specific problems with the Ubuntu version that made you choose the "real" one.

Right now, I use the latest Ubuntu version under 6.10

In case you have both, if that's possible, choose the one which you frequently use.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061117 Firefox/2.0 (on Sabayon Linux 3.26)

EDIT: not sure what you mean by the poll?

speedwell68
January 27th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I use the Feisty version on Edgy, just so I could get ver 2.0.0.1.

Artemis3
January 28th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I have edgy and the current version is 2.0.0.1... Might have come from backports tho.

I use plenty of plugins and had no problems. Who cares about adobe when evince and gpdf work fine? Tab mix Plus handles sessions on its own (didn't have problems with FX own session save feature either).

You don't want update enabled because updating would require root priviledges to write certain files. Plugins on the other hand go to the user's folder. Of course you could run fx on your own user folder and run it side by side with the distro one.

mykalreborn
January 28th, 2007, 03:31 AM
i use swiftfox 2.0 hehe. i don't see much difference between swiftfox and firefox, appart from the logo and the name ;), but i guess if they say it runs better in linux...

Hex_Mandos
January 28th, 2007, 03:39 AM
2.0.0.1 from Edgy. Is there any difference?

seijuro
January 28th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Swiftfox here too.

MkfIbK7a
January 28th, 2007, 05:10 AM
i just tried iceweasel and swiftfox

and guess what....

NOTHING but the name and logo were different

RandomJoe
January 28th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I use the standard Ubuntu version. No need that I've found not to, and that means I don't have to notice another "update" icon anywhere. (Yeah, it ought to be obvious, but...)

Just installed Edgy on a spare computer, so of course using 2.0 there, but otherwise still on 1.5 on Dapper everywhere else. (Grr - I never thought it would be so *annoying* having my tab close icon moved from the far-right side to each tab! But only an hour or so of using 2.0 and it is! ;) )

FyreBrand
January 28th, 2007, 05:57 AM
I use version 2.0.x (from the repos) on Kubuntu Edgy at home and work and also on my Windows box (from Mozilla) at work. They all work and feel the same to me. I use these extensions: Web Developer, Firebug, NoScript, adblock, MeasureIt, ViewSourceChart, DownThemAll, Google Notebook, and Google Sync. I have Flash 9, the Java plugin, and VLC as the media player. I use MacBird as my theme on all of them. I'm happy with the repo binary.

My boss was impressed that installing Firefox was about as easy as apt-get install firefox.