PDA

View Full Version : System 76 Laptops?

EmilyRose
January 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Hi everybody, I've been wanting a laptop for years now, and just recently discoverd System 76 who sell laptops with Ubunutu pre-installed... has anyone bought anything from these guys in the past? If so, how did it work?

I've been kind of running on the assumption that I'd buy a Macbook Pro when I saved up enough money (though at thsi point, who knows when that'll be), but could probably be persuaded to buy a laptop with Linux preinstalled instead...

So yeah, any experience dealing with these folks? Good way to do it? Bad? What do you think??

aysiu
January 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Read this:
Please share your experiences with System76 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343798)

matthew
January 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM
We even host their support forum. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158

They have a great reputation around here. :)

fuscia
January 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM
i sure like mine. very pleasant experience, all around.

raublekick
January 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Quick question: do they use a standard Ubuntu install and customize it, or do they have their own custom version that they use?

I kinda remember something about them using their own repos way back when they first started.

I'm just curious because I want to know how easy it would be to get it back up and running to factory settings if need be.

Aetherius
January 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
If you're interested in that macbook look..... wait a few weeks..

System 76 are bringing out a new laptop, apparently called a "Darter"

check it out here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=344598)

Aeth

Rydel
January 26th, 2007, 05:56 PM
While I cannot comment on what System 76 installs, I can tell you what my company installs (which I will not mention by name, because I'm not a believer in shameless advertising). I'd imagine what System 76 does is fairly similar.

After a computer is built, we start by installing Ubuntu. After Ubuntu is installed, we remove the top panel. We put essential components in the bottom panel, in a Windows-like order. Next, we install and configure Beryl, and change a few miscellaneous settings. Before the computer is powered down, we update Ubuntu so the end-user has less to download upon receipt of their new computer. For this reason, we do not clone a stocked hard drive image, as many major OEM's do. (I omitted hardware and notebook specific software, which varies by model.)

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 06:09 PM
While I cannot comment on what System 76 installs, I can tell you what my company installs (which I will not mention by name, because I'm not a believer in shameless advertising). I'd imagine what System 76 does is fairly similar.

After a computer is built, we start by installing Ubuntu. After Ubuntu is installed, we remove the top panel. We put essential components in the bottom panel, in a Windows-like order. Next, we install and configure Beryl, and change a few miscellaneous settings. Before the computer is powered down, we update Ubuntu so the end-user has less to download upon receipt of their new computer. For this reason, we do not clone a stocked hard drive image, as many major OEM's do. (I omitted hardware and notebook specific software, which varies by model.)
although quite handily you've got the link in the .sig. I also note with interest that you're offering the same lappy as Sys76's upcoming "Darter."

Mateo
January 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM
edit: wrong thread sorry

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
because the market is dominated by 'pimp my box' guys.

Engnome
January 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Quick question: do they use a standard Ubuntu install and customize it, or do they have their own custom version that they use?

I kinda remember something about them using their own repos way back when they first started.

I'm just curious because I want to know how easy it would be to get it back up and running to factory settings if need be.

They customize it.

mips
January 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM
because the market is dominated by 'pimp my box' guys.

Some people love those, flashing leds, neon tubes and what have you.

For me less is more. The plainer the better.

mips
January 26th, 2007, 06:34 PM

You could always image the drive before you start changing things. If you ever have to then just reimage the drive.

Rydel
January 26th, 2007, 07:21 PM
although quite handily you've got the link in the .sig. I also note with interest that you're offering the same lappy as Sys76's upcoming "Darter."

Oops! The link in my sig didn't even cross my mind...#-o

After a quick forum search, you appear to be correct--our uBook and the rumored "Darter" appear to be built the same chassis. At this point, I believe it is purely coincidental. If and when System 76 releases the Darter, it may become more of an issue, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.