PDA

View Full Version : LinuxDefender or alternative?

fatneck
January 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hi all,

I have a Windows box thats seems to be pretty fubar with virii and/or spyware so I got to thinking - is there a LiveCD that has anti-virus on it that could scan a windows drive. Using the beta PCLinuxOS 2007 the other day (copying the whole LiveCD to ram) and booting off it is really fast and I thought this would be great if I could scan a Windows partition (like getting the normal Windows AV software to run on next boot).

Anyway, LinuxDefender seems to keep coming up in google but I can't find anywhere to download it.

Does anyone know where to get it from, or an alternative method that would work as described above?

Cheers

araz
January 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM
download linuxdefender from here (http://buy.bitdefender.com/bd/site/mirrors.php)

Rhubarb
January 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Yes off memory there is a distro that'll let you do this.
I can't remember the name, you'll need to look for it on something like http://distrowatch.com/
It uses clamav, you may have to mount the windows partition and perform the AV search in the terminal.

If you've got many viruses (virii?), then I recommend you backup your data (you should do this anyway), and re-install windowz / Linux.

Sometimes you just don't know how far viruses and malware go into your system (they could get into your kernel or do a nasty root kit job).
Personally I don't like to take chances, I say backup, wipe it all, and re-install is a safe bet (and is usually less time consuming too, esp in windowz).

fatneck
January 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Ahh cheers - I had found that page but clicked the wrong button or something. Doh.

I agree - a reformat and rebuild is whats needed - however in this case that is not possible as there are some things installed on it that need to stay and can't easily be replaced (proprietry software etc). I do have images of the drive and will use those if absolutely necessary but this seemed like the perfect opportunity to try the Linux recovery method first.

Thanks for your replies.

(Ok, so maybe not virii) :-)

Neobuntu
January 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Use the force Luke. Let go your proprietary software.

:P Do what you want but seriously think about the above.

I'm a happy user of KMyMoney and finally left Quicken (which Wine runs as if a native Linux app) for historical reference by starting anew with 2007 beginning balances. KMyMoney isn't as bloated as Quicken (2006 H&B) but it's more than I need. Try KMyMoney.

ALL other apps that I need have better native Linux alternatives, including finance.

It's just better over here.

Go Krispy.

RAV TUX
January 28th, 2007, 01:34 AM
***moving to the windows forum***