PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of Ubuntu / Ichtux

Bashed
January 26th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Can someone possibly provide a comparison if possible of the pros / cons of Unbuntu Christian Edition and Ichthux?

Thank you

www.talkjesus.com

mhancoc7
January 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Can someone possibly provide a comparison if possible of the pros / cons of Unbuntu Christian Edition and Ichthux?

Thank you

www.talkjesus.com (http://www.talkjesus.com)

The main differences between Ichthux and Ubuntu CE are as follows:

Ubuntu CE includes free but not open source items, Ichthux does not
Ubuntu CE comes with built in pre-configure parental controls that work with both the livecd and installation, Ichthux does not (last I checked)
Ubuntu CE uses GNOME, Ichthux uses KDE
Ubuntu CE uses a combination of traditional application packaging (.deb) and the use of scripts, Ichthux sticks closely to the Ubuntu packaging model
Ubuntu CE is pragmatic in its approach, Ichthux holds firmly to the open-source only philosophyNow with all that said, both Ubuntu CE and Ichthux are trying to do the same thing. The only real differences are the way in which we go about that.

Some do not like the approach that I have taken with Ubuntu CE because I provide scripts that allow users the ability to tweak default Ubuntu installations. I see their concerns, but I do not think that they are fully warranted. The same issue came up with the first release of Automatix (which is included in Ubuntu CE). For me it is more important that I have a system that does what I need it to do rather than stick too firmly to an ideological philosophy. Now let me say that I do love Open Source. It is what gives me the freedom to build Ubuntu CE. I just do not believe that I must abandon all other forms of software, licensing, and technology because I advocate Open Source.

This is a long standing debate which can, unfortunately, become quite heated. I hope this thread will remain civil and be an open dialog.

God Bless, Jereme

Bashed
February 6th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Thank you for the comparison. I'll try out CE.

LaserJock
February 6th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Probably the best way is to just try both. I think the biggest thing you'll find different is the desktop environment. Ubuntu CE uses Gnome (as does Ubuntu) and Ichthux uses KDE (like Kubuntu). Ubuntu CE presently has a better/easier setup for content filtering. Ichthux has some cool integration features ( Christian emoticons, bringing up bible verses from konqueror (file/web browser), etc.). Both come as LiveCDs so you could burn them both and try them before installing one.

-LaserJock

mhancoc7
February 6th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Probably the best way is to just try both. I think the biggest thing you'll find different is the desktop environment. Ubuntu CE uses Gnome (as does Ubuntu) and Ichthux uses KDE (like Kubuntu). Ubuntu CE presently has a better/easier setup for content filtering. Ichthux has some cool integration features ( Christian emoticons, bringing up bible verses from konqueror (file/web browser), etc.). Both come as LiveCDs so you could burn them both and try them before installing one.

-LaserJock

I completely agree. I think that they are both excellent choices.

Jereme