PDA

View Full Version : Buy notebook now or after Vista?

Mega_slayer
January 26th, 2007, 12:39 AM
As the title states I am in a bit of a prediament. I am wondering if I should buy a laptop before Vista comes out, because I am not going to use it anyway, or after? The reason I am asking this is because I am wondering if the price on notebooks will go up with Vista on it...

One counter argument would of course be that they are already offering free upgrades. What do you guys think?

miseljt
January 26th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Wait until Vista comes out, then just as soon as it does, buy one of the 'old' notebooks w/ XP. In theory, the price should drop. I'm personally hoping RAM will drop in price after Vista gets released.

sailingboarder
January 26th, 2007, 02:10 AM
if your worried about price with vista, and don't want a windows os, then buy a comp without it...you may not be able to get one at a large electronics store like best buy or circuit city, but there are companies out there that fit notebooks with linux right from the start

meng
January 26th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Wait until Vista comes out, then just as soon as it does, buy one of the 'old' notebooks w/ XP. In theory, the price should drop. I'm personally hoping RAM will drop in price after Vista gets released.
In theory, won't the price of RAM go up if market demand increases without a change in supply?

Patrick-Ruff
January 26th, 2007, 04:03 AM
I think miseljt's theory about the price of these "old" notebooks going down is acurate, a lot of hardware manufacturers will discontinue these "old" notebooks, but the few that stay around should see price drops of up to 400 bucks

I'd wait if I were you, it's only later this month man.

riven0
January 26th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Exactly. I'm planning on waiting another month or so before getting another laptop, hopefully. I fully expect the prices to drop by then.

Insomniac20k
January 26th, 2007, 06:37 AM
In theory, won't the price of RAM go up if market demand increases without a change in supply?
Ah, but RAM without Vista preloaded will go down.

Gotta love XP RAM!

Mega_slayer
January 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Alright, I will wait then. I was actually going to wait until may, so there is no problem with that. I was just curious if it was a bad idea to wait. I guess I will just have to watch the market after Vista comes out for the opportune moment.... Or do you guys think that waiting the longest time possible will get me the best deal? Thanks for the help by the way :D

jvc26
January 26th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Is there no way you can just buy a pc without an OS preloaded? (sorry if i missed it if you mentioned it, but do you even want XP at all?) Because if not - theres no point paying any money at all for an OS you arent going to use.
Il

Mega_slayer
January 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Is there no way you can just buy a pc without an OS preloaded? (sorry if i missed it if you mentioned it, but do you even want XP at all?) Because if not - theres no point paying any money at all for an OS you arent going to use.
Il

Yes you can buy some notebooks with no OS. I was actually looking at Barebones notebooks as well, and I have a copy of XP if I ever had the need or desire to install it.

Has anyone bought off of Ebay? I was looking into that in the last few days. I just don't know if I should trust it... I even see that there are ebay stores!?

EdThaSlayer
January 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Il

The company I bought my laptop from(http://www.cyberpowersystem) offers laptops that come without a OS preloaded.

PrinceArithon
January 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah, it doesn't really matter when you buy the Laptop, you can ask them to send it to you without any OS...at least through Dell as far as I know.

Aaron