PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu self destructs your system?

TBOL3
January 26th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I was talking with some people I know today, when they found out I used linux, they said it is desighned in such a way that would self distruct all of your personal files. And that linux is anything but usible. I was able to explain that userfriendlyness is much better now then in the past. But how am I sapost to respond to the destroying of you files?

Thanks

meng
January 26th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Ignore them, they don't know what they're talking about, and if you explained why they're wrong, they wouldn't believe you. You can't correct everyone in this world.

Polygon
January 26th, 2007, 12:04 AM
tell them that unicorns also exist and that you had tea with bigfoot and the loch ness monster.

AKA, those statements are completely untrue. If they dont believe you, id just let it go.

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I dont' understand the question.

Linux--and other UNIX-like systems-- can allow you to self-destruct your system with a single command:

rm -rf /

which will recursively delete everything in the filesystem if run with root privileges. This is usually pointed out to people as a warning NOT to do anything as root that they're not absolutely sure about.

Polygon
January 26th, 2007, 12:08 AM

Linux--and other UNIX-like systems-- can allow you to self-destruct your system with a single command:

rm -rf /

which will recursively delete everything in the filesystem if run with root privileges. This is usually pointed out to people as a warning NOT to do anything as root that they're not absolutely sure about.

i would not post that command... anywhere.

meng
January 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM
But guys, isn't:
format c:

pretty destructive too?

ComplexNumber
January 26th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I was talking with some people I know today, when they found out I used linux, they said it is desighned in such a way that would self distruct all of your personal files. And that linux is anything but usible. I was able to explain that userfriendlyness is much better now then in the past. But how am I sapost to respond to the destroying of you files?

Thanks
humour them.

meng
January 26th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Worry about yourself first but concerning yourself with others. If you'd like to adopt Linux, then welcome aboard! If your friends keep telling you it's dangerous, you can tell them that you like to live on the edge!

TBOL3
January 26th, 2007, 12:22 AM
:lol:
No, I've been using Ubuntu ever since about two weeks after Dapper.

And thanks, I'll tell them about Unicorns.

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 12:27 AM
i would not post that command... anywhere.
back in my n00b days, on a Distro Which Shall Remain Nameless, I asked for help on an IRC channel and was met with

rm -rf ~/

with predictable results.

sagarhshah
January 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM

rm -rf /

isn't that like u issuing a command to ur system ? so its not self destruct is it?

meng
January 26th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Correct.[/stating the bleeding obvious] :D

yabbadabbadont
January 26th, 2007, 01:19 AM

rm -rf /

It would make the system unusable, but it wouldn't delete everything. Some things will be locked and unable to be removed. Active device nodes and mount points are two examples. (I did it on a test machine to win a bet one time :D)

Daveski
January 26th, 2007, 01:32 AM

I think you should ask them where they got this information, and if they can cite any examples. Classic 'Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt' to my mind.

Tomosaur
January 26th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I used Lunix and it killed my dog.

Tux Aubrey
January 26th, 2007, 02:00 AM
I used Lunix and it killed my dog.

Could you provide a tutorial or step-through. It hasn't worked for me. Is this a bug?

teaker1s
January 26th, 2007, 02:09 AM
hmmm Re: Ubuntu self distructs your system!!!!

really :guitar:

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Could you provide a tutorial or step-through. It hasn't worked for me. Is this a bug?
If this happens, you can always adapt this HOWTO:

How to Install Linux on a Dead Badger (http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml)

Tomosaur
January 26th, 2007, 02:13 AM

All I know is it was invented by Soviet Hackers from a communist group called 'Lunis Tallballs', which means 'Death To America' in commie code. I put it in my computer and the x-rays made my dog, Bruce, keel over and die :(

Tux Aubrey
January 26th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Wow, thanks:

If this happens, you can always adapt this HOWTO:

How to Install Linux on a Dead Badger

What a great link! We don't get badgers here but I am going to try this on a wombat. They are much the same size and very roomy and rugged. I can't wait for the next case mod competition!

teaker1s
January 26th, 2007, 02:22 AM
dead badger linux:o

beercz
January 26th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Having been in the IT industry for over 15 years, it is my experience that it is normally users who self destruct their mostly Windows systems (never Linux).

Problem between keyboard and chair etc ....

Tux Aubrey
January 26th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Nah - Wombutu!

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 02:42 AM

*pphhhmmmt*

Beer through the nose, you're lucky you don't owe me a new keyboard. :D

niko7865
January 26th, 2007, 07:54 AM
windows can also self destruct your system

deltree /y c:

something like that

steven8
January 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM

That's DBLinuxOS, for short.

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
windows can also self destruct your system

deltree /y c:

something like that
format C:\ works a treat.

C:\DOS>
C:\DOS\RUN>
RUN\DOS\RUN

Lord Illidan
January 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM
They probably were referring to the fact that if you format your windows partition to install linux on it you lose your personal data, well duh!

Explain partitioning and backups to them, or else don't bother.

mips
January 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
back in my n00b days, on a Distro Which Shall Remain Nameless, I asked for help on an IRC channel and was met with

rm -rf ~/

with predictable results.

I learned the power of rm many many years ago on an Irix box, fortunately i did not have root access ;)

aysiu
January 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Do a Google News search for "teacher spyware," and see which operating system "self destructs your system."

~LoKe
January 26th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Do a Google News search for "teacher spyware," and see which operating system "self destructs your system."

I assume you're referring to this (http://www.alternet.org/rights/46925/)?

aysiu
January 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I assume you're referring to this (http://www.alternet.org/rights/46925/)?
Yes.

cikson
January 27th, 2007, 01:39 AM
But guys, isn't:
format c:

pretty destructive too?

But isn't M$ Windows self destructive :confused: !?

geek_Man
January 27th, 2007, 03:15 AM
If you give it enough time. But there are some who can't wait that long. ;)