PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine?

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM
What your favorite source? I worked in the 2nd most popular coffee shop in the US, and I've had all kinds of crazy drinks. In the end, I settled on this: 4 shots of espresso, 4 squirts raspberry syrup, and 2 ice cubes (No Milk!). It's a little harsh out of the gate, but after a few years in a coffee shop, you earn the ability to drink it. :D

I tried bawls, but it gives me a headache during the rise. That's no fun. So, espresso shots for me.

I think the forum staff should add my drink to the list. ;)

Sunflower1970
January 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Starbucks maybe once every other week or so. They're too expensive to do every day. I usually like a venti sugar free vanilla latte with whole milk. Can't stand coffee plain. It has to have a flavor like vanilla or chocolate.

I make a concoction at home, sometimes. Cocoa, sugar free vanilla flavoring, cream and coffee, and a sugar free whipped cream on top. Yummm.

kevinf311
January 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM
2 or 3 mugs of piping hot black coffee. No frills, no extras, just coffee.

I burr grind my own coffee beans right before use, and only use cold filtered water in the carafe. My favorite type of coffee is a mix of half Columbian Supremo and Hawaiian Kona with a bit of Saigon cinnamon sprinkled on top of the grounds (takes a bit of the edge off the taste). For day to day, I use generic Columbian because Kona is expensive and I'm in college.

I use a Percolator to brew (even though it's technically a horrible way to brew coffee) because I like the sound, and it tastes better than drip in my opinion. I also have a French Press, a regular basket Drip, and an Espresso machine. I use the Espresso machine to make other people their frilly drinks, and the occasional double shot of espresso for me.

I want to get a Vacuum Pot (https://www.peacecoffee.com/pcfg/0501/experiment1lrg.jpg) and a Turkish coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_coffee) system. My roommates think I'm obsessed :KS

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 12:53 AM
You might be obsessed, but it's an obsession I can relate to. If you're going to be addicted to anything, coffee isn't the worst choice. I use my French press sometimes. I almost always grind my beans right before brewing up a pot. Whichever method I use, I get a little coffee almost every day.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Starbucks maybe once every other week or so. They're too expensive to do every day. I usually like a venti sugar free vanilla latte with whole milk. Can't stand coffee plain. It has to have a flavor like vanilla or chocolate.

I make a concoction at home, sometimes. Cocoa, sugar free vanilla flavoring, cream and coffee, and a sugar free whipped cream on top. Yummm.

lol I'm horribly embarrassed to admit this, but I like Schul's Hazelnut Cinnamon flavored coffee, with International Delight Hazelnut flavored cream, a lot of sugar, and cinnamon-sugar on top. Whipped cream when available.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM
What your favorite source? I worked in the 2nd most popular coffee shop in the US, and I've had all kinds of crazy drinks. In the end, I settled on this: 4 shots of espresso, 4 squirts raspberry syrup, and 2 ice cubes (No Milk!). It's a little harsh out of the gate, but after a few years in a coffee shop, you earn the ability to drink it. :D

I tried bawls, but it gives me a headache during the rise. That's no fun. So, espresso shots for me.

I think the forum staff should add my drink to the list. ;)

None, xanthines (caffeine, teophyllamine) will inevitably lower your insulin sensitivity so greatly that it has been used instead of fructose to induce insulin resistance in laboratory animals.

Add sugar and NO MILK (no caseine and no fat) to that and you got yourself a recepie for obesity.

If i needed that kind of jolt i'd get some amphetamine, that would be healthier in the long run.

Tomosaur
January 26th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I have arthritis, and although I don't mind a cup of coffee, I'm trying this diet which means cutting out caffeine and a whole bunch of other stuff. Don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try :)

miseljt
January 26th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Kevin's just a little obsessed. He gets grounds all over the counter in the kitchen. As for my poison, typically a fuh-stupid amount of Coca-cola, but for an all nighter, wait until Kevin is making coffee and tag along. I sometimes will get Starbucks on the way to class, but it's kinda expensive.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 01:29 AM
None, xanthines (caffeine, teophyllamine) will inevitably lower your insulin sensitivity so greatly that it has been used instead of fructose to induce insulin resistance in laboratory animals.

Add sugar and NO MILK (no caseine and no fat) to that and you got yourself a recepie for obesity.

If i needed that kind of jolt i'd get some amphetamine, that would be healthier in the long run.

Oh, yeah, it's horrible for you. In addition to everything you said, caffeine prevents vitamin E uptake, etc. etc. But I've run a marathon every year for the last five - I'm not worried about being fat. And, while I can't rationalize making a bad health decision, I can say it's one of the few bad ones I make.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I have arthritis, and although I don't mind a cup of coffee, I'm trying this diet which means cutting out caffeine and a whole bunch of other stuff. Don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try :)

Try some glucoseamine with that and add 8-10 grams of Omega 3's while staying away from beef and egg yolks while ingesting 2-400mg's of acetyl L-Cysteine and at least 3-5 grams of ascorbic acid (if your stomach can handle it)

Would you mind describing your diet and keeping me posted (via PM's)?

futz
January 26th, 2007, 01:37 AM
4 shots of espresso, 4 squirts raspberry syrup, and 2 ice cubes
EEEWWWWW!!!! That's absolutely gross! :D How could you put that in your mouth?

I have a good quality grinder and espresso machine (Rancilio Rocky & Silvia). I drink probably about 90% double-shot Americanos, 5% espresso shots and 5% double-shot cappucinos.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Oh, yeah, it's horrible for you. In addition to everything you said, caffeine prevents vitamin E uptake, etc. etc. But I've run a marathon every year for the last five - I'm not worried about being fat. And, while I can't rationalize making a bad health decision, I can say it's one of the few bad ones I make.

Actually, it does not prevent vitamin E uptake at all but if you are a marathon runner you would be wise to stay away from it for obvious reasons (lactic acid retention being one and decreased insulin sensitivity (insulin senitivity is the key to getting your muscles to use what insulin shoves into your muscles, energy) is another.

Some coffee will not kill you (obviously) but caffeine is a lousy drug to use for energy or fat loss.

But hey, i eat egg yolks and beef even though i know the arachidonic acid is both cancer and inflammation promoting.

Tomosaur
January 26th, 2007, 01:42 AM
@DrainBread-

Yeah I'm already on glucoseamine, folic acid, sulfasalazine, and eterocoxib. I wasn't diagnosed too long ago, but I've had it for a while now, and it really does get in the way. They're not sure what type of arthritis is, so they're worried about putting me on anything other than the sulfasalazine, which is pretty frustrating since I know there are 'better' pills.

The diet is basically one of these 'magic' diets where you cut out all of the processed crap and stick to organic stuff. The book I'm using is here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctors-Home-Cure-Arthritis-Bestselling/dp/0007132824/sr=8-1/qid=1169772058/ref=sr_1_1/203-1804322-3423163?ie=UTF8&s=books), and although I'm generally wary of this kind of thing, it makes sense to eat 'good' food anyway, and I'm pretty much willing to try anything at the moment.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Actually, it does not prevent vitamin E uptake at all
It does. But I'm too lazy to find you a link.

but if you are a marathon runner you would be wise to stay away from it for obvious reasons (lactic acid retention being one and decreased insulin sensitivity (insulin senitivity is the key to getting your muscles to use what insulin shoves into your muscles, energy) is another.

Many studies have shown that endurance athletes (cyclists, usually) are able to perform for significantly longer periods without reporting the fatigue the test group reports. Again, I'm just to lazy to provide you a link. Plus, I just don't care enough to convince you.

Some coffee will not kill you (obviously) but caffeine is a lousy drug to use for energy or fat loss.

I totally agree. I drink coffee because I like it.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 01:46 AM
EEEWWWWW!!!! That's absolutely gross! :D How could you put that in your mouth?

I have a good quality grinder and espresso machine (Rancilio Rocky & Silvia). I drink probably about 90% double-shot Americanos, 5% espresso shots and 5% double-shot cappucinos.

I can respect your chosen drinks. As for my own, I already admitted I had to build up to it.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 01:51 AM
@DrainBread-

Yeah I'm already on glucoseamine, folic acid, sulfasalazine, and eterocoxib. I wasn't diagnosed too long ago, but I've had it for a while now, and it really does get in the way. They're not sure what type of arthritis is, so they're worried about putting me on anything other than the sulfasalazine, which is pretty frustrating since I know there are 'better' pills.

The diet is basically one of these 'magic' diets where you cut out all of the processed crap and stick to organic stuff. The book I'm using is here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctors-Home-Cure-Arthritis-Bestselling/dp/0007132824/sr=8-1/qid=1169772058/ref=sr_1_1/203-1804322-3423163?ie=UTF8&s=books), and although I'm generally wary of this kind of thing, it makes sense to eat 'good' food anyway, and I'm pretty much willing to try anything at the moment.

I am kind of impressed actually, you have very competent doctors, obviously.

I have not read that book but i will get one now.

Stay away from beef and egg yolks, pork is a-ok, chicken, turkey and yeah i know that advice makes you crave beef and egg yolks, heh, sorry about that.

Other than than beef fat and egg yolks i don't see any dish you should stay away from.

I'm especially impressed that they haven't put you on something like Voltaren which is counterproductive after a while.

Rhapsody
January 26th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Instant coffee, with skimmed milk. I've developed a somewhat worrying taste for it.

Yesterday, I was playing Soul Calibur III and noticed my performance was well above average. Either that means I'm getting better at it, or it was because of the three cups of coffee I'd had that day. Either way, I've had two today, and I'm going to see how I do now.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 01:58 AM
It does. But I'm too lazy to find you a link.

Many studies have shown that endurance athletes (cyclists, usually) are able to perform for significantly longer periods without reporting the fatigue the test group reports. Again, I'm just to lazy to provide you a link. Plus, I just don't care enough to convince you.

I totally agree. I drink coffee because I like it.

You know what, ignorance is bliss so i won't argue with you.

Search pubmed, it does NOT do anything about vitamin e uptake (don't wash your multi's or your Vitamin C down with it though)

As i said search pubmed for relevant studies, all that are there are peer reviewed studies, you will find that prolonged use (everyday use as in normal coffee drinker) will lower insulin sensitivity, i suppose that if you only use it once in a while, like just before a race once a month then it may help.

I used to be a great coffee drinker and stopping was not the easiest thing i ever did, after all, it's the second most addictive compound known to mankind only surpassed by nicotine.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 02:25 AM
You know what, ignorance is bliss so i won't argue with you.

Thank you. I'll admit right up front that I'm dead wrong. I know nothing about Caffeine. But, apparently, you know nothing about psychology.

Is your goal to be persuasive, informative, just annoying? It is irresponsible of me to make a bad health decision. Nothing you've said has given me the information or drive to make a healthy change. I've learned nothing, but I do have this budding feeling that I dislike you. If you were addressing more people, in person, that could be a disservice to your self.

Like coffee drinking, it seems like an unhealthy way to proceed with your existence. Perhaps you should consider your intent, modify your approach, and then (if it seems like the right course) make another attempt. So far, I don't think you've done anything positive for anyone, including yourself.

Happy_Man
January 26th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I really would like to point out that we are talking about coffee on a forum themed after coffee beans, which deals with a linux distribution named Ubuntu (the closest place in the Western Hemisphere where you are going to find a similar word is Starbucks), which is themed brown, in a place called "the Ubuntu Cafe." Psychology anyone? :)

beercz
January 26th, 2007, 02:35 AM
2 or 3 mugs of piping hot black coffee. No frills, no extras, just coffee.

That's just how I like it, and Garfield agrees ;-)

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Thank you. I'll admit right up front that I'm dead wrong. I know nothing about Caffeine. But, apparently, you know nothing about psychology.

Is your goal to be persuasive, informative, just annoying? It is irresponsible of me to make a bad health decision. Nothing you've said has given me the information or drive to make a healthy change. I've learned nothing, but I do have this budding feeling that I dislike you. If you were addressing more people, in person, that could be a disservice to yourself.

Like coffee drinking, it seems like an unhealthy way to proceed with your existence. Perhaps you should consider your intent, modify your approach, and then (if it seems like the right course) make another attempt. So far, I don't think you've done anything positive for anyone, including yourself.

Then i'll admit up front that your attitude pretty much put me off, you acted like you knew more than me and outright lied with your vitamin E claim.

If my response seemed annoying to you, well that is how it goes when you pretend to be a knowitall and especially when lying about an obvious thing and be ing called on it, of course you consider me annoying after that.

The truth is, you are the one who is annoying because even though i put you up against the wall and you even admitted you were wrong you still keep yapping, only you changed your tune from physiology to psychology.

I suppose we can ask someone else who i did give advice to how he feels about the issue about how i present myself and my advice.

And then what are you going to yap about?

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I really would like to point out that we are talking about coffee on a forum themed after coffee beans, which deals with a linux distribution named Ubuntu (the closest place in the Western Hemisphere where you are going to find a similar word is Starbucks), which is themed brown, in a place called "the Ubuntu Cafe." Psychology anyone? :)

Heh, ironic, is it not? :D

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Then i'll admit up front that your attitude pretty much put me off, you acted like you knew more than me and outright lied with your vitamin E claim.

If my response seemed annoying to you, well that is how it goes when you pretend to be a knowitall and especially when lying about an obvious thing and be ing called on it, of course you consider me annoying after that.

The truth is, you are the one who is annoying because even though i put you up against the wall and you even admitted you were wrong you still keep yapping, only you changed your tune from physiology to psychology.

I suppose we can ask someone else who i did give advice to how he feels about the issue about how i present myself and my advice.

And then what are you going to yap about?

lol Caffeine does prohibit vitamin E uptake. You are annoying to me. I do know some things about caffeine. I'm not against any wall. I admitted I'm wrong because this isn't a thread I'm involved in for debating. I would admit to almost anything, suffer almost any ridicule, and, as I will after this post, remain silent to your idiotic posts just to be rid of you. It's not that you make too much sense. It's that, in a group of reasonable people, your attitude would turn them all against you.

I'm done debating in these forums, having already humiliated the only loser I hoped to. At this point, he would try any measure to redeem himself, which is impossible. You're the man! You've googled coffee! lol

I'm here for fun, dude. I'm retired from moron-bashing.

Tomosaur
January 26th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Come on guys, just let it go before it turns into a big flame war.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Come on guys, just let it go before it turns into a big flame war.

Yeah, no doubt. I've made a few enemies though. And I'm a target. lol Coffee is where the really intelligent, if a touch anti-social, apparently lurk though. I've obviously met my match, and will bail out gracefully to save the thread. ;) Cheers!

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Hey, how is BrainDead able to post without accumulating beans?

ZylGadis
January 26th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Just tea, thank you.

On a side note, I think phossal is irritating (and irritable), too.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Just tea, thank you.
On a side note, I think phossal is irritating (and irritable), too.

lol You forgot IMHO, and a directive to solve all my problems with Python. Thank you for having the balls to say it, though. I always tell the people I hate that I hate them, even if it means sitting out for a few days.

[edit] What, specifically, did you find most irritating? :)

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 03:05 AM
lol Caffeine does prohibit vitamin E uptake. You are annoying to me. I do know some things about caffeine. I'm not against any wall. I admitted I'm wrong because this isn't a thread I'm involved in for debating. I would admit to almost anything, suffer almost any ridicule, and, as I will after this post, remain silent to your idiotic posts just to be rid of you. It's not that you make too much sense. It's that, in a group of reasonable people, your attitude would turn them all against you.

I'm done debating in these forums, having already humiliated the only loser I hoped to. At this point, he would try any measure to redeem himself, which is impossible. You're the man! You've googled coffee! lol

I'm here for fun, dude. I'm retired from moron-bashing.

As i said, search pubmed, find your links, there is no debate where facts are involved, you make a claim and you prove it, that is all there is to it.

You don't know anything about xanthines and you would have done better with your previous admittance of failure to provide evidence or knowledge on the matter.

You can pretend to be a knowitall all day long and it still won't do you any good, you tried to change your attack on me from physiology to psychology but failed yet again so i guess insults is all you have left.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 03:06 AM
I did change my tack, when I realized - not that I was wrong - but that communicating with you served me no purpose. But, as I attempted to ask earlier, what is your purpose? Perhaps you'll achieve something here, if you haven't already. If you're desperate to be right about something, or better than someone, I'm willing to fill that need for you. You've achieved that. Now what? Was it worth the price? lol I've been in your shoes more often than not, and it hasn't always been worth it.

What you don't seem to be clear about though, is that no one is really arguing with you. You're just right in this thread.

* I don't really feel the need to search pubmed. I asked what source people got their caffeine high from - just for fun. I don't really want to learn anything. lol I didn't ask for any assistance, and you've already answered my original questions. No facts required here.

I recommend visiting Programming Talk. There are a bunch of guys like you who would dig your style. I'm bored of that and you. I am willing to keep telling you that you're correct, that I dislike your style, and that I don't really care what you say, just for the post count. We can each become Master Roasters.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I did change my tack, when I realized - not that I was wrong - but that communicating with you served me no purpose. But, as I attempted to ask earlier, what is your purpose? Perhaps you'll achieve something here, if you haven't already.

My purpose is truth.

Your's seem to be lying and then insulting anyone that calls you on your lies.

I liked your "moron-bashing" that you grew tired of, so, i'm a moron but you can't prove your claims. You could prove me a moron with a link to a peer reviewed study that would back up your claims but nuh-uh, better to insult me

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 03:17 AM
My purpose is truth.

Your's seem to be lying and then insulting anyone that calls you on your lies.

I liked your "moron-bashing" that you grew tired of, so, i'm a moron but you can't prove your claims. You could prove me a moron with a link to a peer reviewed study that would back up your claims but nuh-uh, better to insult me

Dude. lol I don't have any claims. Or any purpose in this thread. I don't mean to insult you. In fact, I'll apologize. Just relax, man. As I said, I'm retired. I don't really lie. I've read previously that caffeine prevents E uptake. I don't care if it's true. lol This isn't a debate. No facts. No "peer reviewed study" - as if that's the end all, be all of proof. I don't have anything to prove here, dude.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I did change my tack, when I realized - not that I was wrong - but that communicating with you served me no purpose. But, as I attempted to ask earlier, what is your purpose? Perhaps you'll achieve something here, if you haven't already. If you're desperate to be right about something, or better than someone, I'm willing to fill that need for you. You've achieved that. Now what? Was it worth the price? lol I've been in your shoes more often than not, and it hasn't always been worth it.

What you don't seem to be clear about though, is that no one is really arguing with you. You're just right in this thread.

* I don't really feel the need to search pubmed. I asked what source people got their caffeine high from - just for fun. I don't really want to learn anything. lol I didn't ask for any assistance, and you've already answered my original questions. No facts required here.

I recommend visiting Programming Talk. There are a bunch of guys like you who would dig your style. I'm bored of that and you. I am willing to keep telling you that you're correct, that I dislike your style, and that I don't really care what you say, just for the post count. We can each become Master Roasters.

As to your addition in your edit, you made a claim, admitted it was wrong and then turned back on your admittance and called me a moron.

I did not insult you, i am just asking you to provide proof for the claim because it IS wrong and stating made up claims like that is not going to do anyone any good.

And you made a blatant claim, that Caffeine inihibits vitamin E, one i have been asking you to prove, because of your blatant lie you have backpedaled and admitted you don't know but that i did not know anything about psychology, then you claimed it AGAIN, when asked for proof you insulted me and now you are stating you never made the claim?

How about this, next time you don't know crap about something, keep your yap shut and stay out of it instead of making stuff up.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 03:28 AM
As to your addition in your edit, you made a claim, admitted it was wrong and then turned back on your admittance and called me a moron.

I did not insult you, i am just asking you to provide proof for the claim because it IS wrong and stating made up claims like that is not going to do anyone any good.

And you made a blatant claim, that Caffeine inihibits vitamin E, one i have been asking you to prove, because of your blatant lie you have backpedaled and admitted you don't know but that i did not know anything about psychology, then you claimed it AGAIN, when asked for proof you insulted me and now you are stating you never made the claim?

How about this, next time you don't know crap about something, keep your yap shut and stay out of it instead of making stuff up.

You desperately want to be right about something. I did make that claim, but I didn't realize I had to provide the disclaimer that I've never actually conducted the study myself. lol I'm fairly sure you're getting your info from a web site. That's a little more reliable. I don't care if I'm wrong. lol You're asking me to prove it. I'd rather just say I'm wrong. lol If you don't get that I'm doing everything possible to avoid any communication with you, short of testing you a little bit, I can't make it any more clear. As for keeping my yap shut, I obviously offended you elsewhere, or you're trolling, either way it's enjoyable. It's just bizarre you want to spar with me so badly.

The fun, here, for me, is in seeing how desperately you want this. I don't mind taking a little rub. lol It's just bizarre you want a piece so badly.

This just isn't the topic. Elsewhere, dude.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Dude. lol I don't have any claims. Or any purpose in this thread. I don't mean to insult you. In fact, I'll apologize. Just relax, man. As I said, I'm retired. I don't really lie. I've read previously that caffeine prevents E uptake. I don't care if it's true. lol This isn't a debate. No facts. No "peer reviewed study" - as if that's the end all, be all of proof. I don't have anything to prove here, dude.

If i got a dollar for every "i have read" thing that people give medical advice on i would be a bazillionaire.

But your admittance of your lie and apology is accepted, i'm done with this thread too now. :D

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 03:32 AM
It wasn't medical advice! lmao. I didn't admit I lied*, but I did apologize.

Rather, I admitted I wasn't 100% certain, and would plead guilty just to end the conversation.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 03:35 AM
You desperately want to be right about something. I did make that claim, but I didn't realize I had to provide the disclaimer that I've never actually conducted the study myself. lol I'm fairly sure you're getting your info from a web site. That's a little more reliable. I don't care if I'm wrong. lol As for keeping my yap shut, I obviously offended you elsewhere, or you're trolling, either way it's enjoyable. It's just bizarre you want to spar with me so badly.

This just isn't the topic. Elsewhere, dude.

You didn't have to conduct the study yourself, ANY peer reviewed study would do and pubmed provides them, not only from the US but from all over the world, there are enough to conclude that if if is not in there, then you better have the evidence to make it peer reviewed or your claim is false.

I get my evidence from my own and others experience, shared and provided via peers and in the end, if it stands the tests, published on pubmed.

If i were trolling, wouldn't i be the one with the claims that i could not back up?

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 03:40 AM
It wasn't medical advice! lmao. I didn't admit I lied*, but I did apologize.

Rather, I admitted I wasn't 100% certain, and would plead guilty just to end the conversation.

You claimed that caffeine inhibits tocopheryl absorbtion, if that is not medical advice i don't know what is.

And please refrain from making any claims that refer to such things as essential vitamins without knowing what you are saying, someone ingesting large amounts of caffeine may try to overdose on vitamin E to absorb enough of this essential vitamin because of your advice, and while tocopheryl poisoning is rare, it does happen.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 03:44 AM
You claimed that caffeine inhibits tocopheryl absorbtion, if that is not medical advice i don't know what is.

And please refrain from making any claims that refer to such things as essential vitamins without knowing what you are saying, someone ingesting large amounts of caffeine may try to overdose on vitamin E to absorb enough of this essential vitamin because of your advice, and while tocopheryl poisoning is rare, it does happen.

lol All right. All right! I already apologized for being evil! The truth is that I'm an executive in the Italian fishing industry. Now that Catholics are back to beef on Fridays, we're looking for a new campaign. The last thing I'd want to do is cause the demise of any person and/or fish over a lie about the effects of coffee. The effects of my lie, extended across industries and ecology, could be cataclysmic. It's obvious I'm being directed by Satan. Where is the exorcism forum?

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Thank you, too, for staying the path, seeking truth, and making it so plainly obvious to me that I could find it myself and walk in its light. lol Like Satan, himself, you've even suspended my post count. lol It's horrible. Totally unfair, but tremendously funny.

DrainBead
January 26th, 2007, 03:51 AM
lol All right. All right! I already apologized for being evil! The truth is that I'm an executive in the Italian fishing industry. Now that Catholics are back to beef on Fridays, we're looking for a new campaign. The last thing I'd want to do is cause the demise of any person and/or fish over a lie about the effects of coffee. The effects of my lie, extended across industries and ecology, could be cataclysmic. It's obvious I'm being directed by Satan. Where is the exorcism forum?

I give up.

esaym
January 26th, 2007, 04:04 AM
I just drink plain black coffee. I used to have a small espresso machine but I had to throw it away after I stayed up for over 72 hours straight just sitting in front of the the computer...

kevinf311
January 26th, 2007, 04:13 AM
@phossal: I think you asked a few flames back why the bean count wasn't increasing. I believe I read in another post asking about bean count that when posting in the Cafe and the Backyard your bean count does not go up. I don't know if those are the only two though.

Oh, and...

*Throws Fuel (http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/80/96454.htm?pagenumber=1)* O:)

DSn0wMan
January 26th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I think a strong cup of coffee works best. If you need an extra kick then drink a can of monster followed by a few cups of coffee.

fuscia
January 26th, 2007, 04:29 AM
coffee. i can't imagine anything as tasty that's a desnely packed with caffeine.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 05:09 AM
@phossal: I think you asked a few flames back why the bean count wasn't increasing. I believe I read in another post asking about bean count that when posting in the Cafe and the Backyard your bean count does not go up. I don't know if those are the only two though.

Oh, and...

*Throws Fuel (http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/80/96454.htm?pagenumber=1)* O:)

Thanks. lol I know, though, that I've angered a few people. Since he just joined today, I couldn't tell whether it was one of my forum peers that I've previously angered, or a higher-up. ;)

seijuro
January 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I don't do coffee so either Mountain Dew or one of the various energy drinks made by SoBe.

Insomniac20k
January 26th, 2007, 08:36 AM
The reason I am awake right now, at work earlier (I work at a coffee bar) we were bored and I drank about 12 shots of espresso.

It's good to just drink plain shots. Pulled correctly, they have a nice flavor.

However some honey or hazlenut is also nice.

Of course there's always dumping shots of espresso into a cup of drip coffee. Which is mostly what I was doing tonite.

po0f
January 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
... dumping shots of espresso into a cup of drip coffee. ...

Shot in the dark. I used to work at a cafe as well. :)

Favorite drink: quadruple shot mocha, tall, extra chocolate, no foam/whipped cream.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Of course there's always dumping shots of espresso into a cup of drip coffee. Which is mostly what I was doing tonite.

Redeye's lol Most of the shops only do a single, but that's the benefit of being behind the counter. ;)

steven8
January 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I always had good luck with having a Coca Cola in one hand, and a good cup of black coffee in the other. Take a big gulp of coffee, then shotgun a big swig of coke right after it. Repeat until both are gone. Nice caffeine buzz.

fuscia
January 26th, 2007, 11:41 AM
any other kde nuthuggers having trouble seeing kaffeine spelled with a 'C'? it looks wrong to me. (time to get a life, i guess.)

steven8
January 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM
any other kde nuthuggers having trouble seeing kaffeine spelled with a 'C'? it looks wrong to me. (time to get a life, i guess.)

I have to admit that I thought it was a newbie with a question about Kubuntu when I firsy saw the thread. . .

Lord Illidan
January 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I used to be a great coffee drinker and stopping was not the easiest thing i ever did, after all, it's the second most addictive compound known to mankind only surpassed by nicotine.

I think you're right about it being addictive. If it isn't coffee, I drink tea.

I just drink instant Nescafe' coffee btw...cheap!

unisol
January 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
give me own homebrew anyday. i drink 8o'clock hazelnut coffee with sugar or splenda and hazelnut creamer.

phossal
January 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
give me own homebrew anyday. i drink 8o'clock hazelnut coffee with sugar or splenda and hazelnut creamer.

I dig it. 8 O'Clock isn't bad. I got a super good deal on a 2LB bag of Ghirardelli Chocolate yesterday. I don't like substitute sugars, but I'm all about the hazelnut cream.

Insomniac20k
January 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Shot in the dark. I used to work at a cafe as well. :)

Favorite drink: quadruple shot mocha, tall, extra chocolate, no foam/whipped cream.

Redeye's lol Most of the shops only do a single, but that's the benefit of being behind the counter. ;)

Haha we call them depth charges. I know that's a shot of vodka in beer, but we cater to the Navy, so depth charge fits the theme.

azkehmm
January 27th, 2007, 12:06 AM
The only thing that works for me, is the meanest, strongest, blackest coffee, injected directly into aorta with a rusty needle. Either that, or what we in Denmark call a "Kaff-swart," which is basically, your favourite liqour and coffe, in a mix of 1:3 to 1:1 :)

phossal
January 27th, 2007, 12:09 AM
The only thing that works for me, is the meanest, strongest, blackest coffee, injected directly into aorta with a rusty needle. Either that, or what we in Denmark call a "Kaff-swart," which is basically, your favourite liqour and coffe, in a mix of 1:3 to 1:1 :)

That sounds fantastic! Coffee and liquor is a winner. I'm a fan of OJ & Mountain Dew (1:1), too.

fuscia
January 27th, 2007, 02:13 AM
"i see some coffee and i want to drink it bla-ack"

isn't that a stones' song?

kevCast
January 27th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Foldger's and Columbian speed.

Mmm.

phossal
January 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Foldger's and Columbian speed.

Mmm.

If you purchase Juan Valdez instant instead of Folgers, it comes premixed ;)

phossal
January 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Juan Valdez has some interesting advertising: example (http://www.juanvaldez.com/menu/advertising/ads/honor.html)

curuxz
January 28th, 2007, 01:43 AM
My parents run an import business from zim in africa, and one of the items that comes in is coffee roasters, you get a little iron pot and some green coffee beens and do the whole thing from scratch.

Alot of people say they dont like plain black coffee, but I wonder have they ever tried real fresh roasted coffee because if they have they will realise that the stuff sold in places like star***ks is horse urine compared with the true....naturaly sweet...taste of coffee.

I like mine black, shame I have not got time to have it fresh!

phossal
January 28th, 2007, 01:48 AM
My parents run an import business from zim in africa, and one of the items that comes in is coffee roasters, you get a little iron pot and some green coffee beens and do the whole thing from scratch.

That sounds awesome! I've never had freshly roasted coffee, but I assume most people haven't. A lot of people never even grind their own beans. Even that little step makes coffee better.

It's probably not practical for my life, but I dig the idea of it.

kevinf311
January 28th, 2007, 03:17 AM
...get a little iron pot and some green coffee beens and do the whole thing from scratch.

I want some... right... now! :shock: I'll do anything. What do you want? Money? Cars? Women? ...Men?

:razz: Just kidding, I'm not that bad... yet :wink:

*goes to make coffee*

Spano
January 28th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Folgers, black and strong, with a cigarette.

DarkOx
January 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM
London Fog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Fog_%28beverage%29) is perhaps the best drink ever. It's a mix of Earl Grey tea and milk, with a shot of vanilla plus foam.

phossal
January 28th, 2007, 06:22 AM
London Fog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Fog_%28beverage%29) is perhaps the best drink ever. It's a mix of Earl Grey tea and milk, with a shot of vanilla plus foam.

Originated in BC? I lived in Vancouver for a couple of summers. I love it there - one of the greatest places on Earth. Beautiful. Amazing scenery, amazing tides, amazing city, amazing aquarium, etc, etc. I hate milk, but vanilla cream would be good in that.

I'm trying that. lol Thanks for the rec.

phossal
February 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Currently enjoying a double cup of Ghirardeli Chocolate mixed with vanilla cream and a cinnamon and sugar mix. It's my second for the day, and I'm hoping to see daylight. Cheers!

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Caffeine is like poison for me as a Diabetic...

but I do enjoy Bubble tea. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea)

deat
February 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I drink Jolt almost religiously.

In fact, I'm drinking one right now.

I only like the blue Jolt though, the cola and ginger ale flavors don't appeal to me.

phossal
February 4th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Caffeine is like poison for me as a Diabetic...
Sorry to hear it. I have a couple of food allergies that prevent me from eating just about everything I like, so I can relate. Coffee is my poison of choice, though. What do you indulge in?

[edit] I've never heard of Bubble Tea. Looks fantastic.

23meg
February 4th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I put coffee drinking on a pause for one week, and my lasting back aches magically went away. Currently testing for placebo effect.

phossal
February 4th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I drink Jolt almost religiously.
No bawls?

phossal
February 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I put coffee drinking on a pause for one week, and my lasting back aches magically went away. Currently testing for placebo effect.
Probably not, meg. I already admitted once in this thread that I'm not a doctor - don't take this as medical advice - but I notice that I get much more irritation after long runs when I'm drinking coffee than when I'm not. The stuff is horrible for you. (I think)

[edit] Phossal is not a doctor, nor does he ever say anything related to fact - ever. This should not be construed as medical advice or any other kind of advice. Reading this post may cause cancer.

kevinf311
February 4th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Aw, I miss Jolt. I haven't had it since high school.

I usually get my back aches when I haven't had coffee for an extended period of time :p

[edit] phossal is my primary care physician

phossal
February 4th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Aw, I miss Jolt. I haven't had it since high school.

I usually get my back aches when I haven't had coffee for an extended period of time :p

[edit] phossal is my primary care physician

LMAO :D

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Sorry to hear it. I have a couple of food allergies that prevent me from eating just about everything I like, so I can relate. Coffee is my poison of choice, though. What do you indulge in?

[edit] I've never heard of Bubble Tea. Looks fantastic.

Bubble Tea(黑珍珠奶茶) is simply awesome the Black Tapioca pearls are like sucking tadpoles through a straw but very yummy.

RAV TUX
February 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM

I'm addicted to Placebos, I would stop taking them but it wouldn't help.

phossal
February 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'm not even willing to try placebos. I know I'd be hooked instantly. I can just imagine the effect they would have on my life. As for sucking tadpoles through a straw, I might just try that to get an idea of what it's like to have Bubble Tea.

curuxz
April 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
LOL should have said for the people that are intrested in these fresh coffee roasting pots (tho I defy anyone to actualy make their own coffee every week) check out www.africaindoors.com and if your lucky enough to live in the south of the UK you can go buy one!

I would suspect there ARE other sources of these roasting kits but I dont know of any :)

fuscia
April 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
I'm addicted to Placebos, I would stop taking them but it wouldn't help.

if placebos really work, it would be stupid not to believe in them.

bytor4232
April 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
My wife and I are addicted to White Tea. Its basically green tea but smoother. Salada makes the best. We can get it at most grocery stores, or you can buy it at Salada Green Tea (http://greentea.com/tw_white.asp) website.

On hard mornings where the baby's kept me up all night or tech related issues drug me out of bed, I have to hit the golden elixir a.k.a. Mountain Dew. I try not to drink it too much, but some days its the only thing keeping me going.