PDA

View Full Version : Animated Smilies Complaint Thread.

hod139
January 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
With the recent addition of some annoying (to me anyways) smilies (e.g.):
:guitar: :lolflag: ):P

I have a request. Would it be possible to block only the animated smiles? I do like the static ones :cool:, but feel overly distracted by some of these newer ones. Just wondering if this would be possible.

PriceChild
January 19th, 2007, 11:32 PM
User CP -> Edit Options (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editoptions)

2/3 down there's "Thread Display Options"

Inside there there's "Visible Post Elements"

Unchecking "Show Images (including attached images and images in code)" [I]should turn them off for you.

Pricey

hod139
January 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the quick response, but that doesn't seem to have an effect.

PriceChild
January 19th, 2007, 11:38 PM
:(

I'll ask the other staff for you.

ubuntu-geek
January 19th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I do not believe there is a way to turn them off. Sorry.

hod139
January 19th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Maybe you can remove all the animated smilies and shorten the wait between search times 2 seconds (I kid, :lolflag:). But seriously, am I the only one that finds these annoying and distracting?

po0f
January 20th, 2007, 03:58 AM
hod139,

I find them annoying as well, but if nothing can be done about it...

IIRC, when I first installed the NoScript extension to Firefox, the GIFs weren't animated. Maybe something had to do with it. (Scripts are blocked for all sites by default, and I enabled them for uf.org and they came back. Maybe I'm missing something else here, but you might want to look into it.)

... and shorten the wait between search times 2 seconds ...
Lol, looking to get banninated? ;)

SuperMike
January 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I find these new smilies as EXTREMELY annoying. I want to be as polite as possible about this, and be diplomatic, but this is ridiculous. In fact, if I could turn off all smilies except happy, wink, and sad, that would be my preference.

I tried to see if Firefox will let me turn off just one particular image, but alas it does not.

I also think turning off all image attachments is generally a bad idea because I like them occasionally when someone is trying to describe something such as, look what happens when I click this on this dialog box thingy. Got it?

hod139
January 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM
hod139,

Lol, looking to get banninated? ;)

I was just trying to be funny. A lot of people ask why they can't have images in their sigs or animated gifs for their avatars with the response being server load. Similarly, the wait time between searching is also to relieve server load. I jokingly figured that if we remove all these animated similies then this will reduce the load on the server, and we can shorten the wait time.

I agree with SuperMike that disabling all images is not a desirable solution. If disabling the animated smilies is not possible, then my vote would be to remove the more obnoxious animated smilies from the list of possible selections. But that probably isn't going to happen, especially if I'm in a large minority. [What does the guitar smiley mean? I get the LOL one, but guitar????]

Lord Illidan
January 20th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I quite like the new ones myslelf..:guitar:

Steveire
January 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM
adblock will block them for you.

SuperMike
January 21st, 2007, 02:59 AM
So I have to implement a proxy like tinyproxy to let me filter this stuff? Bit extreme, don't you think? I only use tinyproxy for my kids simply because I want rocket-fast speed when I surf.

hod139
January 21st, 2007, 04:12 AM
I quite like the new ones myslelf..:guitar:

I'm guessing most people do, otherwise there would be more traffic here. I guess I can install adblock or try and get used to them.

Steveire
January 21st, 2007, 04:38 AM
Who said anything about a proxy? Adblock is a part of konqueror, and I'm pretty sure it's a firefox extension too.

neoflight
January 24th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I detest the new big smileys....*:( *

people started using those in multiples (the LOL one)... its flashy and disturbing...

now many of the threads here look like some of those pop-ups...or even like those cheap sites where they promise music or movie downloads or what not...

these 'new' smileys thoroughly degrade the previously professional looking forums.

lets keep it simple and nice
please please revert.!

Quillz
January 24th, 2007, 12:51 AM
:o

What emoticons are you referring to? They seem the same to me.

neoflight
January 24th, 2007, 12:54 AM

What emoticons are you referring to? They seem the same to me.

this :lolflag: this :guitar: this ):P ....

gummibaerchen
January 24th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I don't get the point either...

ubuntu-geek
January 24th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Qq

neoflight
January 24th, 2007, 01:39 AM
well the point is...
i mean ..those (see post #3) three emoticons are distracting....and ugly IMHO...

hod139
January 24th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I already started a thread about this here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342132) For now, it looks like we have to deal with them. I"m glad I"m not the only one who doesn't like them.

emarkay
January 24th, 2007, 02:31 AM
"Lame" is the only word that comes to mind about "smileys" in general.

I will refrain from making any specific derogatory comments about the attention-seeking-generation that was raised on "Barney," who are now migrating into corporate boardrooms (especially since I got my wrists slapped here over an "IMHO" last week), but someone in charge here NEEDS to realize that this place is not Facebook or U-Tube!

[end of rant]

neoflight
January 24th, 2007, 05:47 AM
I already started a thread about this here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342132) For now, it looks like we have to deal with them. I"m glad I"m not the only one who doesn't like them.

thanks...there are others too...i am sure...

the icons flashing in front of your eyes is working against the theme of the web design...it simply cannot fit...

plus:

from here (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48)

Why can't I use an animated gif as my avatar?
In the past (up to sometime near the end of 2005) users were allowed to use animated gifs as avatars. This ended when there was a sudden wave of really distracting and obnoxious flashing, gaudy avatars. (Honestly, can you concentrate on information when looking at animated avatars like these?) ........
i think, this is applicable to the emoticons under discussion too...
doesn't it?

matthew
January 24th, 2007, 07:08 AM
I, for one, welcome our new smiley overlords.

:lolflag:

wert613
January 24th, 2007, 07:11 AM
:guitar: :lolflag: ):P in some situations they work better than the others!

Ben Sprinkle
January 25th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I, for one, welcome our new smiley overlords.

:lolflag:

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: on then Matthew. ;)

matthew
January 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: on then Matthew. ;)LOL

Have you seen this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2061839#post2061839)? Guitars are awesome!!

Ben Sprinkle
January 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM
LOL

Have you seen this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2061839#post2061839)? Guitars are awesome!!

Forbidden, this page is categorized as Student_Deny.

Oh noes.

neoflight
January 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
this is humiliating... bye...i am leaving the forum....

neoflight
January 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Referring to this thread i created on the smileys...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=345008

They would have just said "no we are keeping it"...Instead they started showing off the icons again on my face...I consider this as an insult. No, I am not saying the icons are insulting me... Its childish behavior...

They are not expressing their opinions...they are just humiliating me and my opinion.

I will keep in mind that i need to be aggressive as well.

Thanks for all the help. Bye

Ben Sprinkle
January 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM

What a stupid reason to leave the forums.

bionnaki
January 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
who cares about emoticons? not me.

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I am adding my voice officially to the discontent.

Using smilies--especially *graphical* ones--is a pernicious habit and should be stopped. We do not permit regular users to use animated GIFs in their avatars or their .sigs--we should not permit animated smilies, either.

Kill them, O Admins.

NeoLithium
January 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I was just reading through his thread myself; and wondered how someone can be THAT bloody offended by smiley's and such; really, unless there's a post with 80 of them in there, how can it be that distracting? Besides, there was no one directly insulting him or anything; it's a rather....well, for lack of a better term stupid to leave for that; there were a few people making jokes about the smiley's not him.

picpak
January 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
You're leaving a forum...because of an argument...about SMILIES?

You sure you're not the one acting childish?

pichalsi
January 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I dont like the smilies myself but I dont think its good reason for leaving such a great forum... I AdBlocked them as I have blocked many avatars (on other forums mostly) already.

ComplexNumber
January 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
neoflight
you'll be back once you've calmed down. you're just overreacting, thats all.

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I was just reading through his thread myself; and wondered how someone can be THAT bloody offended by smiley's and such; really, unless there's a post with 80 of them in there, how can it be that distracting? Besides, there was no one directly insulting him or anything; it's a rather....well, for lack of a better term stupid to leave for that; there were a few people making jokes about the smiley's not him.
Smilieys are a pernicious habit, and must be stopped. They often make communication MORE difficult rather than LESS.

Users who are more than semi-literate find it a lot easier to grab information from text rather than having to wade through seas of stupid cartoon metalheads.

Unfortunately, the VBulletin controls seem to be very all-or-nothing: you get images (which includes the offending smilieys) or none at all (so no screenshots for you!). If I could somehow have VBulletin render all the "smiliey" tags as plaintext and then keep the other embedded images, I'd be happy.

dsegarra
January 25th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Not a big fan of icons either but I dont think its reason to leave a forum. Perhaps you should consider requesting ubuntuforums a user option to disable these. This forum is one of the reasons I dont want to switch ubuntu for other distro.

bonzodog
January 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I think it's possible to change the set of smileys used by vbulletin - so you could have images that were a little plainer, and not animated.
What happened to the Tango ones we used to have?
These clearly aren't Tango rendered.

So, I say, change the Smiley Icon set to a non-animated set.

kebes
January 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I would also like to add my name to the "votes against animated smilies" list. In fact, perhaps a poll should be started?

I find the animated smilies to be distracting and unprofessional. Remember the forums are supposed to be a site where if, for example, your boss looks over your shoulder, he/she just naturally assumes you are doing research into Linux or whatever. These similies make the site look like something else altogether. The new ones are also overly tall, which ruins the layout of lines they are included in. It looks ugly and has no particular useability advantage. I think they should be removed entirely.

Something I would also like to know is: what was the rationale for adding them? Was there a large number of users begging to have large animated icons in their threads?

tito2502
January 25th, 2007, 05:01 PM
They are horrible smileys, I hate any animations.

It goes against the theme and makes Ubuntu seem amateurish.

harley_frog
If what I'm about to ask is a dumb question, please tell me and I'll go off to my corner and be quiet.

Why not just turn off the smileys from your control panel? (I.e. User CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Visible Post Elements)

Aetherius
smilies, although pretty annoying at times, do fill a hole in pure-text communication (as compared to face-to-face communication) it allows for a statement to be amplified by emotion

My wirless card will NOT work ](*,)

or to modify a statement with emotion....or sarcasm.

I'm definately buying Vista! :rolleyes:

I think they should be avoided in serious discussion, but in the cafe i say more power to them.

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
smilies, although pretty annoying at times, do fill a hole in pure-text communication (as compared to face-to-face communication) it allows for a statement to be amplified by emotion

or to modify a statement with emotion....or sarcasm.

I think they should be avoided in serious discussion, but in the cafe i say more power to them.
I find it amazing that plain-text societies got by for hundreds of years without smilieys, expressing tone and emotion with...words. I've worked with some very old manuscripts, and haven't found evidence of a smiley in a single one.

The smiley is a bad shortcut; the last refuge of the inarticulate or the outright illiterate. If you cannot say what you mean with plain text--write it again.

ubuntu-geek
January 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM
No promises.. but i'll see if i can make it so smilies can be turned off on a user level. I cant promise an eta, but that i'll add it to the todo list.

axel-vpk
January 25th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Please dont leave. the simplest solution is to adblock the images as suggested in the other threads.

it is really simple to turn off the images in question using the adblock firefox extension.

- Install Adblock Plus (link) (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/)

- right click the images in question -> Adblock Picture
- click OK to stop displaying the image.
- repeat for each image.

- or instead the use adblock settings to add these filters:

http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_dance.gif
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/smiley-faces-80.gif
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/smiley-faces-75.gif
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/guitar.gif
(there might be more)

- No more animated gifs!

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM
well the point is...
i mean ..those (see post #3) three emoticons are distracting....and ugly IMHO...

The emoticons are ridiculous. The letters I-M-H-O, as an abbreviation for the concept that you realize what you're saying is just your opinion, is actually worse than just saying so. Saying that what you're saying is your opinion is redundant. Ellipses, commas, spaces and semi-colons appear at random. Hyphens, quotes and underscores highlight what morons we are. It's just a mess.

I vote for a forum on English and Writing complete with tutorials on method, intent, punctuation and audience.

Ben Sprinkle
January 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
The emoticons are ridiculous. The letters I-M-H-O, as an abbreviation for the concept that you realize what you're saying is just your opinion, is actually worse than just saying so. Saying that what you're saying is your opinion is redundant. Ellipses, commas, spaces and semi-colons appear at random. Hyphens, quotes and underscores highlight what morons we are. It's just a mess.

I vote for a forum on English and Writing complete with tutorials on method, intent, punctuation and audience.

What? He doesn't have any of those in his sentance, I am confused. * :lolflag: *

hod139
January 25th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Ellipses, commas, spaces and semi-colons appear at random. Hyphens, quotes and underscores highlight what morons we are. It's just a mess.

I think you need to remember (or realize) that these forums are open to non-native English speakers. Also, posting a message like this is only going to offend people and detract from the original purpose of this thread, which I think is very important and should not get derailed from flame baited messages like these.

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I am confused, IMHO.

;)

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Ben, I don't really care about animated icons. I'm just here for the post count. Because all I care about are static icons - of lattes. I feel it's the little images of coffee beans, drinks, and grinders that really sets the Ubuntu Forums apart and elevates them above the other, less-professional sites.

Now, where did I put my dressed-up penguin avatar?

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Smilieys are a pernicious habit, and must be stopped. They often make communication MORE difficult rather than LESS.

Users who are more than semi-literate find it a lot easier to grab information from text rather than having to wade through seas of stupid cartoon metalheads.

Unfortunately, the VBulletin controls seem to be very all-or-nothing: you get images (which includes the offending smilieys) or none at all (so no screenshots for you!). If I could somehow have VBulletin render all the "smiliey" tags as plaintext and then keep the other embedded images, I'd be happy.

i beileive that you can somehow do that
because at the very bottom of the page in the left corner it says

smilies are on
so apparrently you can turn them off maybe you should talk to ubuntu_geek about it...

tombott
January 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM

I can understand your frustration over the damned emoticons, but leaving a forum over it is slightly childish!

Don't let the MyFace generation spoil your browsing experience, just rise above it.

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM
yes it is true the animated ones are a bit much but i find that the still ones can help to get a point across

Aetherius
January 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I find it amazing that plain-text societies got by for hundreds of years without smilieys, expressing tone and emotion with...words.

Don't get me wrong here, I like my words, I'm an obssessive fan of the written word and the emotive and complex uses it can be put to (Dante expressing 4D geometry, whether he knew it or not!). I also enjoy and write poetry and I was published (but that was a long time ago).

Having said that.... nothing can beat a smilie for speed and simplicity ;)

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM
yes it is true the animated ones are a bit much but i find that the still ones can help to get a point across

I agree. If an addition is really needed, it's a pinhead smiley. Rather than wasting a bunch of time typing any of the following: I'm a newbie; IMHO; I only use python, etc. You can just end whatever lame thought you had with a pinhead icon. It would be shorter and clearer, and give the rest of us a good laugh. <: )

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I agree. If an addition is really needed, it's a pinhead smiley. Rather than wasting a bunch of time typing any of the following: I'm a newbie; IMHO; I only use python, etc. You can just end whatever lame thought you had with a pinhead icon. It would be shorter and clearer, and give the rest of us a good laugh. <: )

lol
:D
:)
=)
=(
=D

i think the ones with the equal signs look better how about you?

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
i beileive that you can somehow do that
because at the very bottom of the page in the left corner it says

so apparrently you can turn them off maybe you should talk to ubuntu_geek about it...
The "smilies are ON" state is a server-wide setting, not a per-user setting.

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 05:30 PM
i know so you could just turn off all smilies like this

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I think you need to remember (or realize) that these forums are open to non-native English speakers. Also, posting a message like this is only going to offend people and detract from the original purpose of this thread, which I think is very important and should not get derailed from flame baited messages like these.

Were you offended? I didn't mean to offend anyone. The biggest offenders - those who break the rules of English punctuation - are usually my American friends. They're native English speakers.

I'm not sure I was criticizing those people who are learning English as an additional language as much as I was criticizing the guys who hang out in Programming Talk. They spend all day debating how to best implement memory management, and constantly use ", *, _, ; ,... to indicate that they have no idea what they're really trying to say, ITHO.

In addition, I'm not detracting from the importance of this thread. I made a subtle commentary on the professionalism of this site, which some have used as a reason to ban animated icons. Why ban animated faces when you can present an avatar of a Rastafarian penguin and use the screen name: Super_baked_420?

Not all arguments for or against a thing have to be so obvious, do they?

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM
technically we now have two threads saying the same thing
can someone merge them

also its true i think that the animated smilies are a bit much but the static ones can sometimes help get a point across

bigken
January 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM

well it easy dont look at em or use em :lolflag:

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Seriously, though, where do I get a cool looking Penguin? I have some killer ideas.

ComplexNumber
January 25th, 2007, 05:39 PM
The smiley is a bad shortcut; the last refuge of the inarticulate or the outright illiterate. If you cannot say what you mean with plain text--write it again.i would be inclined to agree. i've never really been one to use many smilies. i occasionally use the shocked, happy, grinning, winking, and confused smilie....but thats about it. the winking one i use (on some occassions) when i'm being sarcastic and its not totall clear as to my intention, but usually i leave it up to the reader.
with the profuse use of smilies and text-speak going around these days, shakespeare and dickens must be turning in their graves.

kebes
January 25th, 2007, 05:45 PM
phossal, it appears that your implied argument is: "Why ban animated smilies as being unprofessional, when there are all kinds of unprofessional things in the forums?" While this is a legitimate question, I believe there is a notable difference.

If a user decides to post a message that is unprofessional or has bad punctuation (or whatever), that is their choice. However, making animated smilies available is something being done by the forum administrators (or whoever--I don't actually know who was in charge of that decision). The complaint is that the forums are portraying themselves as unprofessional when they include those animated emoticons. In a certain sense the forums are encouraging their use.

Another point is that even for users (like me) who decide not to use those emoticons, they are still always present. Whenever I compose a post now, I must be distracted by the animated guitar icon.

I certainly don't want the forums to become boring places where fun cannot be had. However I am calling into question whether the animated icons add substantially more than they detract. By comparison, allowing users to have personalized avatars seems to add much more than it detracts. (Animated avatars would be quite another issue.)

bigken
January 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Seriously, though, where do I get a cool looking Penguin? I have some killer ideas.
Antarctica its very cool there

and its full of penguins :lolflag:

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM
If what I'm about to ask is a dumb question, please tell me and I'll go off to my corner and be quiet.

Why not just turn off the smileys from your control panel? (I.e. User CP > Edit Options > Thread Display Options > Visible Post Elements)

that will also turn off screenshots...

hod139
January 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Were you offended? I didn't mean to offend anyone. The biggest offenders - those who break the rules of English punctuation - are usually my American friends. They're native English speakers.

I'm not sure I was criticizing those people who are learning English as an additional language as much as I was criticizing the guys who hang out in Programming Talk. They spend all day debating how to best implement memory management, and constantly use ", *, _, ; ,... to indicate that they have no idea what they're really trying to say, ITHO.

In addition, I'm not detracting from the importance of this thread. I made a subtle commentary on the professionalism of this site, which some have used as a reason to ban animated icons. Why ban animated faces when you can present an avatar of a Rastafarian penguin and use the screen name: Super_baked_420?

Not all arguments for or against a thing have to be so obvious, do they?
Thank you for expounding on your original post. I also couldn't agree with you more about the Programming Talk sub-forum; I have been hanging out much less frequently of late because of the useless/stupid/pointless (fill in your favorite adjective) debating that has been occurring.

I agree that professionalism is not the be-all and end-all argument for removing the animated smilies as some people wish. My original post on this subject was asking the mods if I could disable them through a personal setting, as personally I don't like them. That would, I hope, solve all problems, but the mods replied saying that it was technically impossible at this time.

sanderella
January 25th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Is this thread a troll?:confused:

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
phossal, it appears that your implied argument is: "Why ban animated smilies as being unprofessional, when there are all kinds of unprofessional things in the forums?" While this is a legitimate question, I believe there is a notable difference.

True.

If a user decides to post a message that is unprofessional or has bad punctuation (or whatever), that is their choice. However, making animated smilies available is something being done by the forum administrators (or whoever--I don't actually know who was in charge of that decision). The complaint is that the forums are portraying themselves as unprofessional when they include those animated emoticons. In a certain sense the forums are encouraging their use.

Partly true. The forum staff also allows us to post idiotic avatars, and use screen names. A lot of people in the forums take advantage of all possible avenues to make it obvious that they're idiots. It's the forum staff's job to make that possible, not to prevent it.

Another point is that even for users (like me) who decide not to use those emoticons, they are still always present. Whenever I compose a post now, I must be distracted by the animated guitar icon.

You can turn them off.

I certainly don't want the forums to become boring places where fun cannot be had. However I am calling into question whether the animated icons add substantially more than they detract. By comparison, allowing users to have personalized avatars seems to add much more than it detracts. (Animated avatars would be quite another issue.)

You should have added IMHO.

ushaba
January 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
people got by for hundreds of years without smilies, but they also got by for hundreds of years without other things that we now value quite well too. i think that it's hard to be a purist about one thing without running a slippery slope argument... i think that smilies are an additional possibility that was not adequately explored in previous epochs. let it be known however, that many great men of letters, including kierkegaard, scribbled cartoons all over their manuscripts. stravinsky too. he even used colored ink in his scores. i think that smilies are beautiful. maybe written unadulterated expression is dying out, but it will only be replaced by something else, and in this case the trade might not be that bad. :KS

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Is this thread a troll?:confused:

the thread?
do you mean is it a flame?
if so, no because it adresses a real issue that many people have with the new emoticons.

i cant believe that the ubuntu community drove neoflight to leave though that is not good

neoflight was very active in the community

wert

mips
January 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I do not really like smileys myself but do occasionaly use them. Some people battle to read or get the context wrong so i might add a wink or a smile & the occasional head butt.

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Antarctica its very cool there and its full of penguins

I posted a thread in the General Help forum asking for help with a penguin icon before I read this. I asked if anyone could point me in the right direction, and hoped it wasn't south. lol

Two limited minds fail alike. :)

hod139
January 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
You can turn them off.

Maybe I'm being dense (quite possible), but I don't think you can turn them off, which was my original problem. If you know of a way will you please let me know.

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Maybe I'm being dense (quite possible), but I don't think you can turn them off, which was my original problem. If you know of a way will you please let me know.

Do you use Firefox? I know other methods if not, but this one is real simple:

File -> Quit.

Try it out! IMHO <: )

bastiegast
January 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Referring to this thread i created on the smileys...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=345008

They would have just said "no we are keeping it"...Instead they started showing off the icons again on my face...I consider this as an insult. No, I am not saying the icons are insulting me... Its childish behavior...

They are not expressing their opinions...they are just humiliating me and my opinion.

I will keep in mind that i need to be aggressive as well.

Thanks for all the help. Bye

By creating a separate thread for it you might be humiliating yourself even further, People misunderstood you, you misunderstood the people, no one is trying to offend you.

On the other hand everyone is yelling:
I can't believe your so offended by smileys!

Come on! He only said he didn't like the new smileys and next everyone starts showing of the new smileys. It might still be a bit of a overreaction but he is not leaving because of the smileys!

Ill quote more specific to clarify what I'm saying

argie
January 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I'm a fan of text smileys. They look better. I use them all the time, but they get changed into these yellow baldies.

This thread reminds me of all the funny movies about ancient Japan and honour and humiliation and all that.

hod139
January 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Do you use Firefox? I know other methods if not, but this one is real simple:

File -> Quit.

Try it out! IMHO <: )
Cute, but not really the solution I was looking for. After reading though the the now merged threads, I saw this post:

No promises.. but i'll see if i can make it so smilies can be turned off on a user level. I cant promise an eta, but that i'll add it to the todo list.
This is more than satisfying for me. I just wanted to make the staff aware of my personal dislike of the animated smilies, and lack of user level settings for blocking them. I feel my job is now done. Thank you ubuntu-geek.

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm a fan of text smileys. They look better. I use them all the time, but they get changed into these yellow baldies.

This thread reminds me of all the funny movies about ancient Japan and honour and humiliation and all that.

you can make text smilies LOOK!

phossal
January 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Cute, but not really the solution I was looking for.
Are you a chick? : )

darkhatter
January 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM
:D :o :) :( :confused: :guitar: :mad: :lolflag:

are we complaining about the new smilies, or smilies in general

DirtDawg
January 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Well, it's really not a big deal either way, but I agree those new smileys are really awaful. It seems strange that users cannot post animated GIFs, but they can use the animated smiley GIFs?

But the worst part is the new smileys are terribly drawn. Q:Who draws hair like stringy pieces of speghetti? A:People who have no idea how to draw!

Not to mention the guitar player looks to me like he's doing something he should be doing in the privacy of his own room.
:guitar:
EWWWWW!

K.Mandla
January 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I find it amazing that plain-text societies got by for hundreds of years without smilieys, expressing tone and emotion with...words. I've worked with some very old manuscripts, and haven't found evidence of a smiley in a single one.

In 1912 Ambrose Bierce proposed "an improvement in punctuation the snigger point, or note of cachinnation: it is written thus \___/! and presents, as near as may be, a smiling mouth. It is to be appended, with the full stop, [or exclamation mark as Bierce's later example used] to every jocular or ironical sentence".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon

Ironically, I learned that while reading -- gasp! -- a newspaper. (I would insert a rolling-eyes smilie here, but Brunellus is a friend. (insert smiling smilie here (insert winking smilie here)))

banjobacon
January 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I find the new LOL emoticon very annoying, too. It sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise tastefully designed message board.

neoflight
January 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM
i was definitely irritated because of the huge animated smileys. I was NOT leaving the forum because of THE smileys...i felt bad at the response to my just request. I even sited (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48) the forum principles on animated gifs on avatars...

I perfectly understand the decision based on a statistical level on these issues. Rather than explaining the stand, the responses tend to mock the situation by repeatedly posting the same smilieys in the replies...

If someone says "i dont like the fonts on the main menu...Can you please change it?" would naturally expect a decent reply like "well thats a forum theme and pleasing to most users..why dont you try changing the theme on FF instead"...

rather than..."are u beans...you want gothic fonts there? like this ..<gothic font> <gothic font> <gothic font> <gothic font> "..

i really dont want to leave...but respect to one's opinion is paramount as it is for the freedom to raise one.

there is so much only one can contain his/her ego... i am not denying it in my case too. I am accepting the comment that i was overreacting. But i still stand by my comments. I would suggest to avoid this bad trend.

banjobacon
January 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM
The new LOL emoticon isn't even laughing. It's smiling and holding a sign that says "LOL". How useless is that? Very.

PapaWiskas
January 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
So when I go into a bookstore, restaurant, mall, can I request they not have things there that annoy me?

It's an animated smilie for crying out loud, get over it. Isn't there more important issues to discuss, like how Vista is evil and Linux should over throw the evil empire....bah!!!!:-({|=

doobit
January 25th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Smilies always remind me of the evil smilies of some old viruses in MOSDOS : ☻

kebes
January 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
So when I go into a bookstore, restaurant, mall, can I request they not have things there that annoy me?

Yes, you can make those requests. Because those are businesses, they may or may not act on your request (depending on whether it is in their financial interest to do so). Oftentimes such places will benefit from customer comments, because they can improve their service.

In the case of ubuntuforums, which is a community-site for users, driven by volunteer efforts, I would hope that, again, the opinions of the users would be taken into account.

I'm not trying to argue here. You are right that there are larger issues in the world than animated emoticons! Yet some of us would prefer them removed, and I have yet to hear of anyone providing good reasons why they should stay! Opinions seem to range from "who cares?" to "I don't like them". This leaves me wondering why they were added at all.

banjobacon
January 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM

Yes, you can.

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
this thread really doesnt need to go on

as we know at this moment in time there is no way to remove the emoticons.

so fine shun them dont use them but complaining is futile.

matthew
January 25th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I perfectly understand the decision based on a statistical level on these issues. Rather than explaining the stand, the responses tend to mock the situation by repeatedly posting the same smilieys in the replies...

i really dont want to leave...but respect to one's opinion is paramount as it is for the freedom to raise one. I don't know if it is my post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2056389&postcount=24) you are referring to or someone else's or a combination of several. For my part anyway all I was trying to to was inject a whimsical and humorous statement into what I perceived was a lighthearted discussion. I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way. No disrespect was ever intended in any way.

At the same time, this really is a silly, trivial issue. Some people like smilies some don't. Some especially hate animated smilies, others don't. Here's my perspective stated a little more clearly and with no injection of humorous, easily misunderstood content.

I like smilies. They are fun. They are frivolous. They can be used as a communication tool just like any other symbol. Being somewhat of a Symbolic Interactionist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_interaction) myself by training, I find smilies and their use fascinating. Often the subtext communicated through the use of smilies contains far more information than could be communicated through text alone. More often than that they simply relieve one of the burden of finding suitable words and creating complex phrases to communicate an idea.8-[ I think they are especially interesting when they become an inside form of communication within a group where they may communicate to others of like mind something far deeper than to the average person.

Are they abused? Certainly. In this world what isn't? (Okay, that was a bit cynical.) Does it mean they need to be taken seriously? No.

If we can find a way to turn them off for users that's cool. If not, I think it's trivial.

banjobacon
January 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Often the subtext communicated through the use of smilies contains far more information than could be communicated through text alone.

This is simply not the case with the LOL emoticon.

matthew
January 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM
This is simply not the case with the LOL emoticon.I'll repeat the sentence that followed the one you quoted...
More often than that they simply relieve one of the burden of finding suitable words and creating complex phrases to communicate an idea.

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I don't know if it is my post you are referring to or someone else's or a combination of several. For my part anyway all I was trying to to was inject a whimsical and humorous statement into what I perceived was a lighthearted discussion. I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way. No disrespect was ever intended in any way.

Perhaps you should have appended an appopriate smiley. Oh, wait, that was the source of the trouble in the first place. My bad.

banjobacon
January 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I'll repeat the sentence that followed the one you quoted...

More often than that they simply relieve one of the burden of finding suitable words and creating complex phrases to communicate an idea.

I'll just repeat what I said: That's not the case with the LOL emoticon.

The LOL emoticon displays a smiling face waving a sign that says "LOL". The emoticon relies on text for it to work. I really doubt anyone on the forum needs to relieved of the burden of coming up with "LOL" all by themselves.

wert613
January 25th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I don't know if it is my post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2056389&postcount=24) you are referring to or someone else's or a combination of several. For my part anyway all I was trying to to was inject a whimsical and humorous statement into what I perceived was a lighthearted discussion. I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way. No disrespect was ever intended in any way.

At the same time, this really is a silly, trivial issue. Some people like smilies some don't. Some especially hate animated smilies, others don't. Here's my perspective stated a little more clearly and with no injection of humorous, easily misunderstood content.

I like smilies. They are fun. They are frivolous. They can be used as a communication tool just like any other symbol. Being somewhat of a Symbolic Interactionist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_interaction) myself by training, I find smilies and their use fascinating. Often the subtext communicated through the use of smilies contains far more information than could be communicated through text alone. More often than that they simply relieve one of the burden of finding suitable words and creating complex phrases to communicate an idea.8-[ I think they are especially interesting when they become an inside form of communication within a group where they may communicate to others of like mind something far deeper than to the average person.

Are they abused? Certainly. In this world what isn't? (Okay, that was a bit cynical.) Does it mean they need to be taken seriously? No.

If we can find a way to turn them off for users that's cool. If not, I think it's trivial.

i tottaly agree with this

matthew
January 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'll just repeat what I said: That's not the case with the LOL emoticon.

The LOL emoticon displays a smiling face waving a sign that says "LOL". The emoticon relies on text for it to work. I really doubt anyone on the forum needs to relieved of the burden of coming up with "LOL" all by themselves.Yeah, but "LOL" doesn't dance from side to side and scream, "Hey, look at me! This is a joke!!!!" like that animated smiley does. Sometimes people don't understand the more subtle forms of communication and this can help prevent that.

So as not to use a smiley in a discussion of the dislike of smilies...the tone of this post is lighthearted and silly, not angry, mean, sarcastic or rude...I'm just trying to inject my perspective of this entire thread in an amusing way. Feel free to ignore me.

aysiu
January 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I've moved this to a more appropriate forum.

By the way, I hate smilies, too, but I have Adblock, so I have no reason to complain about them.

Ben Sprinkle
January 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Smilies always remind me of the evil smilies of some old viruses in MOSDOS : ☻

:lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag:

hod139
January 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I've moved this to a more appropriate forum.

Ha, this is where my original thread started...

At the same time, this really is a silly, trivial issue. Some people like smilies some don't. Some especially hate animated smilies, others don't.
<snip>
I agree completely with these statements. All I asked for in my original post was if there was a way to disable something I personally found distracting. I was told that it was technically impossible at this present time, but a subsequent post said that this ability would be added to the TODO list. What else can I ask for?

That said, why are people still arguing about this? Some people like smilies, some don't. The ability to control smilies as a personal setting is being seriously considered by ubuntu-geek, so why are we still arguing about personal likes and dislikes, which we will never come to a consensus on?

Technoviking
January 25th, 2007, 10:25 PM
That said, why are people still arguing about this? Some people like smilies, some don't. The ability to control smilies as a personal setting is being seriously considered by ubuntu-geek, so why are we still arguing about personal likes and dislikes, which we will never come to a consensus on?
+1 well said

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Because I'm right and you know it, naturally.

hod139
January 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Because I'm right and you know it, naturally.
I almost replied with the sarcastic smilie!

koenn
January 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by matthew

so, using a picture of someone waving a sign that says "LOL" relieves one of the burden of finding suitable words, such as LOL, and creating complex phrases, such as "LOL ... LOL... " ?

But seriously,
If you look at how and where these smilies are used,
a) some people could use some encouragement to at least try and create a sentence - offering smilies (espacially the silly animated ones) just allows them to not even make that effort
b) even with the smilies, those people don't succeed in expressing themselves

Does this look familiar :

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant connect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

awakatanka
January 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I vote also against those smilies. The forum is going to look like MSN messenger.

SuperMike
January 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Okay, they revised Smilies a little, but I *STILL* see them when I reply to a message. What I still see is the most annoying guitar guy. Can't all the animated smilies be moved to the screen you see when you click More? Is that too much to ask? Or is this an attempt to get me to call Ubuntu Support instead of using the forums?

No, I don't want to use Adblock, dudes. I tried that out and it sticks this "AdBlock" tab above all my Flash items. What if I want to do a screenshot of a page and email it to a manager or a client because I'm a web developer -- am I going to have to edit the "AdBlock" tab out each time? So I removed it. No Adblock for me.

Bezmotivnik
January 26th, 2007, 12:34 AM
If they'd be moved off the default composing screen, I'd be thrilled. They're only moderately annoying in an actual message, but they are absolutely maddening moving next to the area in which you're composing a message.

One board on which I occasionally post has that entire default smiley menu filled with animated trash that is irrelevant to anything and nobody has ever used, but because it's animated, though meaningless and inappropriate, the gristlehead management wants to show it off.

If you want to keep these wretched things, move them to the "More" smiley menu and get them out of our faces when we're trying to concentrate on what we're writing.

Thanks!

SuperMike
January 26th, 2007, 06:33 AM
If they'd be moved off the default composing screen, I'd be thrilled. They're only moderately annoying in an actual message, but they are absolutely maddening moving next to the area in which you're composing a message.

One board on which I occasionally post has that entire default smiley menu filled with animated trash that is irrelevant to anything and nobody has ever used, but because it's animated, though meaningless and inappropriate, the gristlehead management wants to show it off.

If you want to keep these wretched things, move them to the "More" smiley menu and get them out of our faces when we're trying to concentrate on what we're writing.

Thanks!

Well put. Hey, darn it, I just noticed they fixed it finally! HURRAY!!! I am so happy!

matthew
January 26th, 2007, 10:11 AM
All I asked for in my original post was if there was a way to disable something I personally found distracting. I was told that it was technically impossible at this present time, but a subsequent post said that this ability would be added to the TODO list. What else can I ask for?

That said, why are people still arguing about this? Some people like smilies, some don't. The ability to control smilies as a personal setting is being seriously considered by ubuntu-geek, so why are we still arguing about personal likes and dislikes, which we will never come to a consensus on?+1 I wholeheartedly agree.

Because I'm right and you know it, naturally.That just cries out for a winking smiley. ;)

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
My deadpan delivery is what makes it effective. Smilies are the unnecessary laugh-track to life; the comedy of life is only too obvious if we pay close enough attention.

Ben Sprinkle
January 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Guys, yall are getting a bit uptight now...
Yesterday this thread was 2 pages long, now it's 12. =\

SuperMike
January 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM
The guitar guy is back. I don't like it on the default. Make people click More to get the animated stuff. I hope the forum staff agrees. It's like, it goes away, then comes back, then goes away?

MetalMusicAddict
January 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM

LOL! Leaving a forum with a wealth of information because on smileys. So funny.

Wanna play in my band Matthew? http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/headbang2.gif

http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/band.gif

matthew
January 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Wanna play in my band Matthew? http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/headbang2.gif

http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/band.gifI'm there.
http://www.angelfire.com/music3/musicproductions/gifs/other/people/tinyguitarplayer.gif

nrwilk
February 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Well, they aren't annoying for me. But, They are certainly craptastic. Seriously.

What about finding some higher-quality emotes? These new ones are offensively horrible.

Especially the dreadlocked guitar-player. :-& ::shudder:: :-&

I petition to remove these new smileys!

DirtDawg
February 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM
:guitar:
EWWWWW!

Ben Sprinkle
February 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Woot more smiles. Let's all go to the movies to celebrate! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: