PDA

View Full Version : More fake XP users than genuine Linux ones

PetePete
January 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37202

interesting article..

ixus_123
January 25th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I think I'm down as a fake Windows user even though I have a genuine Windows CD & licence.

I installed Linux on the main machine, put windows on a spare - swapped that round a couple of times messing about or with hard drive upgrades & they locked me out. My product key doesn't work any more. It's only ever on one machine at a time but I'm sick of calling their stupid number to justify my self for an OS I hardly use.

Sunflower1970
January 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the article. It was very interesting, and, to some degree, highly amusing.

My Dell did come with Windows XP, so it's a legit copy. (even though in July of last year I had my bout with MS's overseas Customer Support people...) My dad OTHO, had his computer built by a friend at his at work, and he thought he was getting a legit copy of XP...turns out it wasn't. He's not happy about it, but decided it's not a big deal in the long run. My brother and I are trying to convince him to use a Linux distro instead. :biggrin:

I wonder if those are unique 512 million computers calling "home" or if there are some duplicates in that count....

smoker
January 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM
wga is probably the best advert for linux you could hope for, if you look at figures for false-positives other than microsofts, if ms want to p*** off genuine users, they are going the right way about it!
http://www.techspot.com/news/23029-wga-reporting-up-to-42-false-positives.html

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=89

and with vista, ready to stick the boot in, even harder, well... welcome to linux!

MaximB
January 25th, 2007, 06:04 PM
In Russia, China and Israel it's more like %95 illegal copies :D
the other %5 are the companies that BSA already visit them or planning to visit ;)

Mateo
January 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
My computer was a false positive. Preinstalled with XP but one day it comes up saying my key was wrong or something. I simply ignored it.

Another computer required that I register or something like that. I ignored it until it eventually locked me out of the computer. I had to call the microsoft people and get them to give me a new key (for free, of course) because mine wouldn't work for some reason.

i hate those annoyances of having to register and put in keys. I actually hate anything that uses my internet bandwith without me knowing about it. I don't like my computer secretly sending information over the internet.

GameManK
January 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
But how many fake linux users? :)

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 06:23 PM
But how many fake linux users? :)
you mean cygwin?

GameManK
January 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM
you mean cygwin?

I was kidding but I guess we could count that lol.

randell6564
January 27th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I think I'm down as a fake Windows user even though I have a genuine Windows CD & licence.

I installed Linux on the main machine, put windows on a spare - swapped that round a couple of times messing about or with hard drive upgrades & they locked me out. My product key doesn't work any more. It's only ever on one machine at a time but I'm sick of calling their stupid number to justify my self for an OS I hardly use.

Hey! Good to be back in the Ubuntu Forums!
This was the same problem that i was having! I use to dual boot ubuntu and Windoze XP. One day, I booted to my registered, and activated XP and was informed that "too many changes" occured on my system so I would have to Re-activate my windoze os!

Is that crazy or what!!!?

EdThaSlayer
January 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM
This is great news. When these people feel the wrath of M$ dark orcish legions they will retreat behind the Penguins fortresses that M$ can never pass and the land of Linux will have a lot more citizens.

randell6564
January 28th, 2007, 02:23 AM
This is great news. When these people feel the wrath of M$ dark orcish legions they will retreat behind the Penguins fortresses that M$ can never pass and the land of Linux will have a lot more citizens.

Amen Brother!!! Windoze SUCKS!

Hex_Mandos
January 28th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Microsoft's anti-piracy strategy is ridiculous: Piracy actually helps MS. 90% of the people who run pirate XP copies (like me and everyone I know of, excepting those who bought a brand-name computer or work in a large company) will never pay the ridiculous prices Microsoft demands for their OS. However, by using Windows they're supporting Microsoft's standards, which will keep the legit users using Windows to insure compatibility. As there are really good OSs for free, if MS keeps those users from pirating Windows, they'll switch to something else, and MS standards will lose power. Vista's copy protection is the best thing ever for Linux - it's a big reason that prompted me to switch, and I already converted a friend. While Vista will eventually be cracked, pirate copies are likely to be far more insecure than the original product, and I wouldn't recommend them to most people.

Dr. C
January 28th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I will argue that by pirating Windows Vista in the current OS market one is actually stealing from RMS and the Free Software Foundation.

randell6564
January 28th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I will argue that by pirating Windows Vista in the current OS market one is actually stealing from RMS and the Free Software Foundation.

HUH!!?

macogw
January 28th, 2007, 07:29 AM
My computer was a false positive. Preinstalled with XP but one day it comes up saying my key was wrong or something. I simply ignored it.

My dad's does that. Actually, the only computer we had that DOES pass validation (there's one that has too small of a hard drive for SP2, so no WGA) now has Ubuntu on it.

macogw
January 28th, 2007, 07:32 AM
HUH!!?
Well, by using MS, even pirated, you're still promoting MS because you become indoctrinated in "must use Windows" mindset. No matter how many home users pirate, it doesn't hurt MS because it just means it's all they know and they demand that their workplaces use the only OS they understand. Businesses won't risk it, so they buy hundreds of licenses because the employees claim it is impossible for them to be productive without Windows. If people could not pirate Windows and instead used GNU/Linux, they would not be indoctrinated in the Windows world, would not demand Windows of their employers, and then MS would not sell licenses to those employers. Instead they'd buy support from Ubuntu or Red Hat or Oracle, thereby supporting (monetarily) Free Software.

Artemis3
January 28th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Most of the world is using "fake" software; it is a reality. "Legit" users are having the worst time. Wga is broken, so to the guy with the blocked license, do what others in most countries do, get the hacked dll and forget wga ever existed. The same can be said about games, how can a user not use a no-cd crack? its simply "unreal" not to.

Forget wga, vista contains enough corporate control junk it can only provoke mass disobedience and/or migration to free software. It has only just begun...

The proprietary world is collapsing, those who treat their users the worst will feel the worst as well.

Artemis3
January 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Richard Stallman said in this interview:

I don't call this copying "piracy", because that is a propaganda word. I don't think it is wrong to copy and share information. Governments can pass laws against it, but that does not make it wrong, just illegal.

An unauthorized copy of a proprietary program has the same drawbacks as an authorized copy. If you want to make more copies and share them, you have to do it in secret; and you cannot get the source code.

So I think that unauthorized copies are not much better than authorized copies. The only good thing about the unauthorized copy is that you avoid giving money to the owner. This is good, because the owner does not deserve a reward for making software proprietary.

However, I can achieve the same thing by *not using the program at all*. I use free software instead. http://www.tlug.jp/docs/rms.html

Think of this: Laws are not always right. Slavery used to be legal, and protected by governments...

JAPrufrock
January 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I will admit that I have almost always used pirated/hacked copies of Windows OSs. Then MS invited me to "Get Genuine". Right! I'll Get Genuine when MS stops ripping off the world. I now have a dual boot system, using both U6.10 and XP. I need to solve 2 minor issues, and MS will be gone from my life forever. I hardly ever use XP now anyway. And I will definitely *not* use Vista, either genuine or otherwise. Pure Ubuntu!

macogw
January 28th, 2007, 05:55 PM
A friend IMed me the other night asking if I upgraded to Vista yet, but he signed off before I saw it. I messaged him saying
A) it's not out til next Tuesday
B) I've had it since November (I had the RC)
C) that'd be a downgrade from what I'm using

Dr. C
January 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM
HUH!!?

What many forget is that when software copyrights are infringed “piracy” what is stolen is opportunity for a legal license agreement. This is stolen form either 1) The copyright holder of the pirated software or 2) A competitor of the copyright holder of the pirated software.

It is 2 that is commonly ignored in this debate by both sides. The Business Software Alliance simply ignores 2 and argues that if there were no piracy they would get the legal license agreements and corresponding benefits, a position that is laughable in the current marketplace, and the pirates on the other hand morally typically justify their actions on a combination of a) the copyright holder is evil and deserves what they get, b) the copyright holder benefits from the piracy, c) they are too poor to properly license the software, and d) nobody gets hurt since they would not have licensed the pirated software anyway etc. Both sides are very wrong.

What all of these arguments conveniently ignore is the competition. Now in the current marketplace replacing Microsoft Windows on a PC almost always involves licensing a Fee as in Speech OS that more often than not involves legally licensing software directly or indirectly from the Free Software Foundation. There is a direct measurable benefit to the FSF from this since by legally licensing free as speech software one is helping the FSF promote its ideals even if no cash changes hands.

To clarify my logic: By pirating Windows and not accepting upon yourself all the costs associated with using Windows legitimately including the financial cost, and the cost of accepting the oppressive EULA, you a depriving the FSF of the benefits they would have obtained by you licensing a Free as in Speech competitive OS instead, hence you are stealing from the FSF.

One needs to stop for a minute and ask what would happen if all the versions of pirated Windows about 33% of all Windows installations were replaced with GNU / Linux? Do you think we would have problems with hardware or software support, propriety drivers etc. No manufactures will bending over backwards to meet the needs of the Free as in speech software community our terms. No need for RMS to stand up in protest against propriety drivers. The marketplace would have taken care of the problem. The same would apply to websites, etc.

cowlip
January 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Bill Gates actually likes that Windows is pirated, to combat Linux. But--they use it like crack basically. They eventually will get people to pay, as we see with Activation, WGA, and VLK 2.0.

Kernel Sanders
January 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Windows bashing is so cool eh? :rolleyes:

SonicSteve
January 29th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I believe that there is another take on this.

We elect representatives and they make the laws. I don't see this issue of Free software vs. Proprietary software as black or white. It's quite grey to me. I do not immediately see why creating something and asking for remuneration for it is wrong. You may differ in philosophy but the laws are the laws.

I've worked with Teens for a number of years now and this my finding.

People are going to do what they want to do, and they will then find a way to justify it to keep their aching conscience from bothering them. Or they have no conscience at all.

This is what appears to be happening here. If you don't want to pay for windows don't use it. If you differ in philosophy that's fine, but don't compromise the law because of it.

Dr. C
January 29th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Bill Gates actually likes that Windows is pirated, to combat Linux. But--they use it like crack basically. They eventually will get people to pay, as we see with Activation, WGA, and VLK 2.0.

Blaming one of the victims in this case Microsoft is not the answer. The problem here is those who pirate Microsoft Software, not Microsoft itself. These pirates are hurting Free Libre Open Source Software in a big way. Take a look in these forums. What are the problems people are having? Ubuntu is not supported by this or that hardware or software. Now increase the market share of GNU /Linux on the desktop from less than 1% to say 10% (only a fraction of the Windows pirates out there) and watch these problems go away.

cowlip
January 30th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Blaming one of the victims in this case Microsoft is not the answer. The problem here is those who pirate Microsoft Software, not Microsoft itself. These pirates are hurting Free Libre Open Source Software in a big way. Take a look in these forums. What are the problems people are having? Ubuntu is not supported by this or that hardware or software. Now increase the market share of GNU /Linux on the desktop from less than 1% to say 10% (only a fraction of the Windows pirates out there) and watch these problems go away.

No, but he seriously likes it :)

""And as long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade.""

from a cnet article. It's unfortunate but they play dirty.

Ocxic
January 30th, 2007, 01:26 AM
My dad has a ligit copy of xp home, every few moths or so, we need to re-install casue of the crap that gets on it.. etc....

anywayz today just after another re-install i go to activate, and suddenly i can, windwos has been instlled tyoo many time, and cannot be activate with my current key, i have yet to call micrsoft, but when i do there gonna get one hell of a earfull from one very annoied costomer(s son)

deanlinkous
January 30th, 2007, 02:05 AM
fake XP?? yes it is a fake masquerading as a OS :D someone got a real OS around here - linux, why yes, thank you...

SonicSteve
January 30th, 2007, 03:09 AM
The stuff that scares me the most are the new technologies that hardware companies are implementing along with microsoft and the big corps.
Things like
DRM -digital rights
TPM technical protection measures
and worst of all them.
This idea of "trusted computing"
Hardware that will stop you from installing software from companies that are not "trusted"

You want to talk about playing dirty Thats the beginning of it. If "trusted computing" becomes reality I'm going back to the abacus.

Just today I was on microsofts site getting more familiar with Vista. It has a feature that looks for a TPM 1.2 chip. Yes the technical protection measure chips are becoming reality.
It's just going too far.

boredandblogging.com
January 30th, 2007, 03:15 AM

Exactly. Even if people are pirating Windows, they are using Windows. Not only does it keep another user away from Linux, but it gets them hooked on the Microsoft way of doing things. Maybe a few will try Linux, but most of them will complain it doesn't work like Windows and go back to Microsoft.