PDA

View Full Version : How can we avoid unhelpful information in the ubuntuforums?

wersdaluv
January 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I have noticed that there is an abundance of useful information online, but there is a greater abundance of unhelpful information.

It is hard to control every information available online so let us not go beyond ubuntuforums.org.

What can we do to make these forums more productive? How can we lessen unhelpful information and dedicate our time and effort exclusively for useful information?

matthew
January 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Spend more time posting useful stuff and encourage others to do the same.

wersdaluv
January 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I agree. I was thinking of being capable of deleting replies from a thread but only mods cand do that. How can non-mods make their threads free from unhelpful information?

JamieC
January 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I agree. I was thinking of being capable of deleting replies from a thread but only mods cand do that. How can non-mods make their threads free from unhelpful information?

Maybe a 'digg like' system to 'digg' or 'bury' posts, then implementing a viewing threshold whereby posts with negative standings below a set figure and 'grayed out' and require expanding to view.

I highly doubt something like this would be implemented because it'd require quite some modification to the bulletin board system. For now I guess the best you can do is to correct others if they post information which is considered to be 'unhelpful'...

fuscia
January 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM

i'd like to see a little more concrete evidence of your usefulness and the same for the uselessness of those whose posts you would delete, before you're given this ability. i'm sure you didn't mean to appear so arrogantly, but that's kind of how it's coming across. sorry about that.

wersdaluv
January 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I love your idea. I guess, the best we can do now is to remind others to post only what is helpful since editing the way the forums work is not that simple.

fuscia
January 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I love your idea. I guess, the best we can do now is to remind others to post only what is helpful since editing the way the forums work is not that simple.

ok. don't forget to be useful, now. i'll try to do the same.:guitar:

runningwithscissors
January 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I have noticed that there is an abundance of useful information online, but there is a greater abundance of unhelpful information.

It is hard to control every information available online so let us not go beyond ubuntuforums.org.

What can we do to make these forums more productive? How can we lessen unhelpful information and dedicate our time and effort exclusively for useful information?
I challenge the usefulness of this post! :D

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I have been in the habit of changing useless thread titles in support forums to better reflect the contents of the support request.

Generally, it means editing "ZOMGZ MY VIDEO IZ B0RK3N" to something like "Xorg Fails: ATInvidia Foobar card (WAS: ZOMGZ MY VIDEO IZ B0RK3N")". I do it in an effort to get relevant eyeballs on the right posts.

ComplexNumber
January 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I do it in an effort to get relevant eyeballs on the right posts.and so that the people can more accuretely find the information that they are looking for when they use the search engine. the only useful keyword that can be picked out in the following is "video", but does not help those looking for information about "nvidia" or "xorg":

ZOMGZ MY VIDEO IZ B0RK3N