PDA

View Full Version : Metisse, a *useful* accelerated desktop

stoffe
January 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Check out what the Mandriva guys has been up to...

http://www.mandriva.com/projects/metisse (non-flash videos: http://www.mandriva.com/projects/metisse/download)

Now this is the stuff accelerated desktops should do instead of shaking my windows around. :) Since it's GPL I hope we'll see it in Ubuntu as well, or at the very least that the Compiz/Beryl people start making useful stuff like this. :)

bastiegast
January 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Amazing! Came out of nothing for me :-) Never heard of it before.

Looks promising.

deadlydeathcone
January 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Here's another very cool demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT89IOci5FA) (sorry, youtube).

Compiz and beryl are supposed to get input redirection in time, but I agree that this is the path they should be taking.

Has anyone here tried this? I've been meaning to for a while now (it's cool that it works with gnome - I thought this was ingrained in fvwm) but it's apparently a pain to compile.

edit: I need to RTFA :o. There's a torrent for the livecd at the bottom of the page.

K.Mandla
January 25th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I gotta admit, that's pretty slick ... 8-[

Polygon
January 25th, 2007, 01:04 AM
that looks pretty cool. I might use that if it ever comes out for ubuntu

Tomosaur
January 25th, 2007, 01:21 AM
It's ok, but I still prefer Beryl. There's nothing there that I would find particularly useful. Beryl has the advantage of looking pretty slick, while most things have some logical utility. I mean, what possible use would you have for thet mirror thing?

LKRaider
January 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Amazing

the copy/paste thing is enough for me to REALLY want this!

cutting through windows? whoa!
very well thought out

I wonder what are the requirements, in terms of hardware, to run it well?
wait...

FAQ to the rescue:

Do I need a high-end 3D graphical card to use metisse?
No. Metisse uses basic openGL commands for most of its feature and can run on entry level 3D graphic cards. For instance, metisse is able to run (slowly) on PIII 450Mhz with TNT2 graphical chipset.

sicofante
January 25th, 2007, 01:46 AM
The mirror thing is idiotic. But then I find most things in Beryl/Compiz just as much "teenagers slickness" too.

There are very well thought and useful things here, especially windows folding before a selecting cursor or the handling of multiple desktops, so much more reasonable and smarter than the rotating cube (something similar to the latter, by the way, seems to be coming up in Mac OS X's next release).

I would vote for this in Edgy too, but I guess most people is expecting everything flying around the desktop, wobbling windows and 3D stuff... :(

PurplePenguin
January 25th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I can't see any use for the mirror, either. But the other stuff looks awesome. I'm downloading the live CD right now. :D

Probably the best part of this is from the FAQ (http://www.mandriva.com/en/projects/metisse/faq):

Do I need a high-end 3D graphical card to use metisse?
No. Metisse uses basic openGL commands for most of its feature and can run on entry level 3D graphic cards. For instance, metisse is able to run (slowly) on PIII 450Mhz with TNT2 graphical chipset.

mattisking
January 25th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah, I agree that it does look really nice. I'm downloading the Live CD.

deadlydeathcone
January 25th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Beryl has the advantage of looking pretty slick, while most things have some logical utility. I mean, what possible use would you have for thet mirror thing?

The goal of Metisse isn't about usefulness; it'd an experimental desktop designed to aid in the research and design of human interfaces. It's merely gathered enough useful features over time that Mandriva has decided to offer it as a desktop option.

gnomeuser
January 25th, 2007, 03:04 AM
How is their copy and paste different from the X buffer - mark stuff then press 3rd mouse button to paste?

Honestly I fail to see the point in this, turning windows inwards just makes the text unreadable, the pager thing is nothing compared to Compiz and the Scale plugin.

This seems pointless to me.

Kateikyoushi
January 25th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Nice with low hardware requirements.

fuscia
January 25th, 2007, 03:18 AM
i think i've had my fill of all that 3d stuff. it's like sitting on a couch made out of jell-o.

WinterWeaver
January 25th, 2007, 04:02 AM
hmmm.... some of that looks very vista-ish. Not that it necessarily bad...

Beryl does everything for me!!

Cube for multiple desktops.... with Beryl I can change the speed of rotation, distance of the cube, transparency etc. If I want to, I can set it to work on a pane, just as the example here.

Fast application switching, I just hit F8 and I get Thumbnails of all my open windows right in front of me, click the one I want, and it takes me there. I can change the settings for the speed and all that also, so that I have it work exactly as I need to.

Wobbly windows... ok.. not that functional, but makes it a pleasure to work with your windows. I can still change the speed, friction, elasticity of the wobblyness if it's toooo intrusive, but I realy love it!

Double click a window Title to quickly roll it up, so I have less clutter, till I need it again. I can change the speed and animation of this also.

Soooo many themes. I change my window borders etc quite often to keep the look and feel fresh.

on Dual Monitors, I can setup Beryl to use either 1 cube over both monitors, or I can have two seperate cubes :)

anyway... I love Beryl. Works for me.

WW

bsantos
January 25th, 2007, 04:32 AM
It's ok, but I still prefer Beryl. There's nothing there that I would find particularly useful. Beryl has the advantage of looking pretty slick, while most things have some logical utility. I mean, what possible use would you have for thet mirror thing?

Export a desktop to an external monitor, use an application on the local screen and see the outcome appear on the exported duplicate window, could be one of the uses. By this you don't have to show your desktop, you can have n windows open and only the relevant shows up.

Why is everyone ditching this without even trying it? ](*,) It looks like they tried to come up with useful 3d like window operations, which don't need state-of-the-art 3d acceleration...

Where is the 'choice' philosophy I remember to be one of OSS main features? :P

EdThaSlayer
January 25th, 2007, 04:47 AM
When and if this is actually a choice to use and easy to install via "apt-get" then I will get it. It does look cool though and probably would run fast on my computer.

Arisna
January 25th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Well, I won't switch back to GNOME, compile anything, or add any repositories just to get this, but I'd certainly try it out if it made it into regular Ubuntu repos and worked with KDE. :)

Patrick-Ruff
January 25th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Well, I won't switch back to GNOME, compile anything, or add any repositories just to get this, but I'd certainly try it out if it made it into regular Ubuntu repos and worked with KDE. :)

you live in a very sheltered reality my friend.

anyways, it looks alright. I prefer the whole mac-seamlessness GUI, so far OSX has the most powerful GUI I've ever seen. so till then, I'm indifferent towards linux desktop's, cept' I do enjoy beryl (even though my laptop can't run it without xgl . . . )

MkfIbK7a
January 25th, 2007, 06:18 AM
you live in a very sheltered reality my friend.

anyways, it looks alright. I prefer the whole mac-seamlessness GUI, so far OSX has the most powerful GUI I've ever seen. so till then, I'm indifferent towards linux desktop's, cept' I do enjoy beryl (even though my laptop can't run it without xgl . . . )

i agree with you mac does have the best desktop

crazy___cow
January 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
You can find a deb package for ubuntu edgy here:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58604&page=2&highlight=metisse

bailout
January 25th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Interesting to see the orange colour and that it was on a gnome desktop. Have Mandriva followed the rest of the corporate aimed distros and gone to gnome as default? I am sure when I tried Mandrake a few years ago they were heavily KDE focussed.

mushroom
January 25th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Doesn't look incredibly useful. Beryl with scale and showdesktop fulfills my needs just fine. "Cutting" through windows seems like more trouble than just slamming your mouse into a corner and having all the windows sprint offscreen.

prizrak
January 25th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Mandriva is still alive? I copy-paste with only two clicks (alt+tab) is your friend. Doesn't seem all that useful and honestly there was no reason to develop another WM for that, a plug in for Beryl/Compiz would be enough.

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Doesn't look incredibly useful. Beryl with scale and showdesktop fulfills my needs just fine. "Cutting" through windows seems like more trouble than just slamming your mouse into a corner and having all the windows sprint offscreen.
you must be one of those Fitt's Law-yers who's constantly throwing mice into corners.

mushroom
January 25th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I've read way, way, way too many Mac articles to not have some of it carry over, y'know. I've found it holds true, though. I really want a global menubar in Gnome.

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I've read way, way, way too many Mac articles to not have some of it carry over, y'know. I've found it holds true, though. I really want a global menubar in Gnome.
I think the one bit of Fitt's Law everybody seems to forget is the fastest point that you can access is the one you're already on. I'd be FAR more interested if the desktop-bling guys started coming up with useful radial right-click menus, for instance.

And folding and shuffling individual windows as if they were sheets of paper certainly appeals to me--but I deal with paper every day. Some people deal with burning cubes, I suppose, so we're all entitled to love waht we're familiar with.

Personally, I'd like to use the paper to set fire to my cube. but then, that has less to do with the window manager and more to do with my cubicle.

igknighted
January 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I've been playing with the live CD... it's very tricky to use. The concepts seem nice, the effects are nice, but unless I were to spend a lot of time on it (and its on Mandriva, so lets be real, that won't happen) then its more confusing than helpful.

mushroom
January 25th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I think the one bit of Fitt's Law everybody seems to forget is the fastest point that you can access is the one you're already on.

Not necessarily. With menubars on each window it's really easy to overshoot your target. A global menubar at the top of the screen completely eliminates that because...well, it's at the top at the screen. It's impossible to overshoot the target.

I'm really not as crazy about the eye candy OpenGL WMs provide as much as the added functionality, such as scale/showdesktop, dropshadows to better visually distinguish windows from each other, etc. And now that Unredirect Fullscreen Windows finally works in Beryl, I can watch video fullscreen and play WoW without switching back to Metacity. So it's all peachy for me.

lyceum
January 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Very nice, looks like lookingglass or Vista. Can't wait to see it on Ubuntu.

angkor
January 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I think the one bit of Fitt's Law everybody seems to forget is the fastest point that you can access is the one you're already on. I'd be FAR more interested if the desktop-bling guys started coming up with useful radial right-click menus, for instance.

And folding and shuffling individual windows as if they were sheets of paper certainly appeals to me--but I deal with paper every day. Some people deal with burning cubes, I suppose, so we're all entitled to love waht we're familiar with.

Personally, I'd like to use the paper to set fire to my cube. but then, that has less to do with the window manager and more to do with my cubicle.

You like paper?

http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ&mode=related&search=

http://www3.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo33QeODN58

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I've looked at that--that's a bridge too far.

The main thing that metisse offers over compiz/beryl: a real useful pager. Cube-spinning is pimp, but it's not as quick as dragging little representations of windows to the appropriate workspace.

mykalreborn
January 25th, 2007, 11:03 PM
pretty cool little gizmo... but doesn't it suck up a little bit too much cpu?
and they can try as much as they want, but kde will just be butt ugly, even with all this metisse :p

Erunno
January 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I haven't done much research into the accelerated desktops so my opinion may be moot but this is the first time I've seen it put to good use (improving usability) instead of pointless stuff like rotating cubes and wobbling windows. I especially liked the copy/paste behaviour with the window folding to the side. I haven't even recognized it as a problem until I saw the video (I guess one gets used to some window manager conventions and forgets that there's still room for improvment). I believe that's a pretty common use case and I'm happy someone found an elegant solution to it.

mattisking
January 26th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I'm running the Live CD On my primary PC and I have to say, it's very very impressive. Metisse itself is interesting enough though not extremely useful really.... but I've never looked at Mandriva before. There's alot to be said really. On the Live CD they have their own Configuration program that I think is way nicer than what comes with Suse and it's hard to be worse than Ubuntu's... ya know, since there really isn't one. Heh. It would take something extremely major to get me away from Ubuntu (read: not gonna happen any time soon), never mind that I can't stand RPM's, but this really is a very nice distro.

Mateo
January 26th, 2007, 06:48 AM
which file am I supposed to download? it says gnome1, gnome2, gnome3, gnome4... these are multiple cds? where is the livecd?

macogw
January 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM
The mirror thing is idiotic. But then I find most things in Beryl/Compiz just as much "teenagers slickness" too.

There are very well thought and useful things here, especially windows folding before a selecting cursor or the handling of multiple desktops, so much more reasonable and smarter than the rotating cube (something similar to the latter, by the way, seems to be coming up in Mac OS X's next release).

I would vote for this in Edgy too, but I guess most people is expecting everything flying around the desktop, wobbling windows and 3D stuff... :(
I think the Mac thing is just going to be virtual desktops like X-windows has by default. The cube still wouldn't be there.

xhaan
January 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I like the pager on that, it seems useful.

The paste thing, you can already do that with two clicks in Gnome just by changing two settings... you just don't get the folding effect with it.

The ability to cut a hole is interesting and possibly useful.

The mirror ability could be used for presentations and demos but there are already other ways to do that so it isn't really needed.

I find it to be mostly like Compiz... fancy but unnecessary and not very useful.
I would like to have that pager though.

sicofante
January 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I think the Mac thing is just going to be virtual desktops like X-windows has by default. The cube still wouldn't be there.
The new thing in upcoming Mac OSX release is that Exposé will be used for virtual desktops, much like the pager in Metisse. That is instead of the cube. It's a much more logical, clean and useful aproach, IMHO.

aristotlewilde
January 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
i think i've had my fill of all that 3d stuff. it's like sitting on a couch made out of jell-o.

LOL! I couldn't have said it better myself!

I've spent so much time over the last year tweaking and test driving window managers and eye-candy only to constantly go back to a solid Gnome desktop that is not only comfortable, but feels ROCK SOLID.

I have been playing with Beryl for almost a week and enjoy some of the aspects, but I am finding myself slowly turning off features bit by bit.

I will of course be compelled to test out Metisse as well though...

Mateo
January 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I like looking glass better than them all. too bad it runs the slowest, due to java.

ZylGadis
January 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Java was slow years ago. Nowadays it is on par with C++ in terms of speed. Please stop proliferating myths.
If PLG is slow (which I can't confirm), then that is probably due to the excessive use of design patterns in its code - Sun are known to do that. That has nothing to do with the Java language itself, though.

Mateo
January 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Every java application I have ever run is slower than normal applications. Azureus is the most well known among them.

and they take up far more memory.

sloggerkhan
January 26th, 2007, 05:11 PM
The idea of c++ and java running at the same speed doesn't seem logical to me.

ZylGadis
January 26th, 2007, 08:24 PM
You guys should read a bit on JIT compiling. Every Java application that you have run probably is a Swing application built on JDK4 or even below (and Azureus is not even that, it is built on the SWT abomination). Once again, any perceived slowness of the current JVMs is really due to incompetent programming. If you don't trust me, run a server application - they are mostly competent, or a modern GUI one (I cannot point to a modern GUI one unfortunately, as they don't yet exist - due mostly to myths such as this one).

Java does take up a lot of memory - that is a valid comment, and in fact the major drawback of Java nowadays. I do not understand what that has to do with speed, though.

PurplePenguin
January 27th, 2007, 01:59 AM
pretty cool little gizmo... but doesn't it suck up a little bit too much cpu?
and they can try as much as they want, but kde will just be butt ugly, even with all this metisse :p

You didn't try it yet, did you? It's gnome, not kde. :D

Anyway, I was dying at work all day to try the new live CD, so I hurried home to play with it. I'm using it right now, actually! :)

The coolest thing is how it's really, really easy to zoom a window in or out. For example, if I'm typing here, then decide I need to pop open a text editor, I can just put my cursor on the top window panel and use the scroll wheel to zoom the whole window in or out. So in a half second, firefox can be a tiny little window, but still visible. Then when I'm done what I'm doing, I can zoom right back in again.

Very cool!

Also, if you hold down the Windows key and move a window anywhere (even out of the screen viewing area), then let go of the mouse button, it'll fly back to its original position.

Overall, pretty cool and it looks nice. I'm off to play more. :)

aidanr
January 27th, 2007, 05:04 AM
thats pretty cool, installing it from the debs worked a treat, is there any way to use it with gnome though instead of fvwm?

BarfBag
January 27th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I'm one of the few who can't stand to use Beryl. Yes - it's beautiful and fun to customize, but it seems to get in the way more then it "flows" what you're doing. The heavy resources it takes doesn't help, either. This looks promising enough that I might actually use it if it pops up in the repositories.

aidanr
January 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM
video playback is very choppy, especially when i move the mouse about

i'm liking it so far though, better than plg but not nearly as good as beryl, hopefully some of the features will make their way over to beryl like the window peel back for copy/paste which is very cool and the most useful feature imo

and i'd also like to use it with gnome instead of fvwm if anyone knows if thats possible right now?

http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Screenshot242.png (http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4850&cat=500)
click image for bigger view

NoWhereMan
January 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I prefer Metisse over Compiz/Beryl basically because it works with my graphic card :D
Btw, I think Metisse works in accelerated 2d, and that's must be the reason...

shining
January 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I prefer Metisse over Compiz/Beryl basically because it works with my graphic card :D
Btw, I think Metisse works in accelerated 2d, and that's must be the reason...

Look at comment #9

NoWhereMan
January 27th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Look at comment #9

Requiring a 3d accelerated card DOES NOT mean using 3d. It's just that 2d-only accelerated cards does not exist (anymore, IIRC)

There's plenty of 2d games using OpenGL.

Just look at the GL* xscreensaver series: is GLSlideShow 3d?

bye :)

PS: it worked for me under vesa, too (very slow, but it worked. still it works even with via/openchrome)

PurplePenguin
January 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM
thats pretty cool, installing it from the debs worked a treat, is there any way to use it with gnome though instead of fvwm?

The Mandriva live CD uses Metisse with gnome. I don't know if there are multiple live cds out there, but this is the one I downloaded (http://www.mandriva.com/en/projects/metisse/download).

loell
January 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
and i'd also like to use it with gnome instead of fvwm if anyone knows if thats possible right now?

http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Screenshot242.png (http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4850&cat=500)
click image for bigger view

do you mean replace metacity with mettise , well , it can work, sort of,

on metisse , set it to no panel, execute nautilus and gnome-panel via terminal.

aidanr
January 27th, 2007, 05:55 PM
thanks, i'll try that when i get home

jvc26
January 28th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I downloaded the livecd and gave it a go - aside from the odd totally random useless thing like mirror, its pretty good and gives you a whole load of interesting new functions - some of which beryl is really lacking. Beryl has more flash in terms of wobbly windows and the like which metisse is found wanting, but metisse may well prove more functionally useful (bar the random mirror effect - any ideas on how that would be useful??)
Il

AgenT
January 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I downloaded the livecd and gave it a go - aside from the odd totally random useless thing like mirror, its pretty good and gives you a whole load of interesting new functions - some of which beryl is really lacking. Beryl has more flash in terms of wobbly windows and the like which metisse is found wanting, but metisse may well prove more functionally useful (bar the random mirror effect - any ideas on how that would be useful??)
Il
The only thing that comes to mind is the following scenario: you have multiple workspaces, and maybe even desktops open with windows side-by-side next to each other. You need a certain file open, possibly source code or a tutorial, to use the other applications but you only have enough workspace room for two applications next to each other. So you open those two applications and instead of cramming everything behind each other, you spread them out unto two seperate workspaces. Then you open that one application, such as source code and tutorial, and create a copy on both workspaces. Why a copy and not just open that file up twice? Maybe you need to have the contents updated, such as deleting source code or going to a different page in the tutorial. Your setup would look like this, assuming only two workspaces, with ( ) being an application and [ ] a workspace:

[ (X) (Y) ] [ (X) (Z) ]

jvc26
January 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM
@AgenT: Ah nice idea - that would definitely be an idea - but is that the mirror effect or the duplicate window effect - I thought you could duplicate windows with just a 'duplicate' command rather than using mirror (as that made an upside down mirror image) or would it just be make the mirror and then rotate it?
Il

Pobega
January 28th, 2007, 06:11 PM
How is the copy/paste feature new...? I can do that on my current Xubuntu installation, so I really don't see anything "new" about it.

For those who don't know, you highlight text and middle click to paste the highlighted text. Obviously the folding windows do make it easier, but they're advertising the copy/paste feature not the folding feature.

I have to admit though, the depth perception is a pretty intuitive feature. I've never seen anything like that before, unless Beryl/Compiz have it (I've never used either).

Being able to look behind windows seems a little too time costly for me, considering I can just minimize my windows. Without acceleration it's especially quicker considering you can hotkey the Windows key to minimize and just use Alt-Tab to bring a window back up.

And I really just don't see what you gain by mirroring a window...Why would you want to look at the same thing twice, both upside down and rightside up?

bsantos
January 28th, 2007, 11:31 PM
How is the copy/paste feature new...? I can do that on my current Xubuntu installation, so I really don't see anything "new" about it.

The origin window moves out of the way, that's what's new. The copy/paste is the feature because the window moves out of the way on that action, I guess.

And I really just don't see what you gain by mirroring a window...Why would you want to look at the same thing twice, both upside down and rightside up?

That is just to show the window duplication feature, I believe. Like when people put movie windows in a corner of the compiz/beryl cube... :P

AgenT
January 29th, 2007, 12:32 AM
@AgenT: Ah nice idea - that would definitely be an idea - but is that the mirror effect or the duplicate window effect - I thought you could duplicate windows with just a 'duplicate' command rather than using mirror (as that made an upside down mirror image) or would it just be make the mirror and then rotate it?
IlDuplicate, not mirror. If anyone comes up with an even half decent way that mirror could be beneficial, let us know. Of course, the mirror was just to show what is possible although I do think there are plenty of other things that they could have shown instead that are actually useful.

Has anyone successfully compiled and ran the current snapshot (non svn)? It compiles fine, but always seg faults (core dump). To be more specific, Xmetisse works fine, but core dumps once metisse-start-fvwm is initiated.

I will try to use screen do debug it by leaving every process in foreground instead of the normal backgrounding. Hopefully there is more to it than:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): glWindow_GLX: can't open display

augied
January 29th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Here's a possible use for mirroring windows. The monitor is flat on a table (maybe built into the table) and is viewed from both sides of the table.
I should mention that this wasn't my idea, it was mentioned in comments on a blog or something (I don't remember exactly)

AgenT
January 29th, 2007, 04:58 AM
I will try to use screen do debug it by leaving every process in foreground instead of the normal backgrounding. Hopefully there is more to it than:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): glWindow_GLX: can't open display
Problem solved: Xorg needs to be up and running previous to Xmetisse. However, no window manager should be loaded with Xorg. Thus best way to start Metisse is in this order: Xorg, Xmetisse, metisse-start-fvwm, fvwmi (if needed).

mrphd
February 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
do you mean replace metacity with mettise , well , it can work, sort of,

on metisse , set it to no panel, execute nautilus and gnome-panel via terminal.

Could you explain how to do this please? I've managed to get everything compiled, but really want it working with gnome. Thanks!

Tyche
February 5th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Amazing

the copy/paste thing is enough for me to REALLY want this!

cutting through windows? whoa!
very well thought out

I wonder what are the requirements, in terms of hardware, to run it well?
wait...

FAQ to the rescue:

I'm running a PIII 750MHz on a Tyan motherboard, with NVidia G-Force4 video card. I ran the Live-CD with no problems - and REALLY WISH that Ubuntu would come out with this. Oh, and by the way, I tried moving to Edgy Eft and ended up downgrading to 6.06 (later upgraded to 6.10) because it was too much for my equipment. This would be a GREAT thing for older equipment, like mine.

Tyche

rykel
February 5th, 2007, 06:37 AM
... what possible use would you have for thet mirror thing?

I make a conjecture... perhaps you need to do a business presentation to a client using your laptop... so you open up the monitor 180 degree flat, and use the mirror effect to let him sit opposite you while still being able to see what you see on your end. :lolflag:

raul_
February 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM
How is their copy and paste different from the X buffer - mark stuff then press 3rd mouse button to paste?

Many people don't know this

23meg
February 5th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I make a conjecture... perhaps you need to do a business presentation to a client using your laptop... so you open up the monitor 180 degree flat, and use the mirror effect to let him sit opposite you while still being able to see what you see on your end. :lolflag:
You can actually lay a tablet PC flat on a table, and mirroring a window can let two people sitting on opposite ends work on or view the same app.

Brunellus
February 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM
You can actually lay a tablet PC flat on a table, and mirroring a window can let two people sitting on opposite ends work on or view the same app.
or you could play pong or pac-man?

23meg
February 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM
or you could play pong or pac-man?
Pong would be quite schizophrenic.