PDA

View Full Version : I have all the codecs including w32codecs etc, but i still get this

ComplexNumber
January 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM
any explanation for this?

XVampireX
January 24th, 2007, 10:39 PM
It's what people call discrimination, ever heard of that word?

Make firefox user agent like Microsoft Windows XP or something like that...

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/

bonzodog
January 24th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Heh...yeah. It's what we call a user-agent detection string. It is basically a Javascript client that asks your computer what OS you have. If it doesn't answer with what it has been told it can accept, it gives you that, and denies you entry.

My advice - e-mail the sites administrators and complain that you use Linux, and this will run their web-page under Mozilla Firefox Just as well as Windows or OSX. Tell them that you are going to tell all your linux using friends, about 200,000 of them (the number of users this forum has), and post an advisory to various tech related Linux user sites, telling them that their site is unfriendly towards Linux and not to use it. Then find an alternative to that site, and wait for them to mail you back.

ComplexNumber
January 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM
It's what people call discrimination, ever heard of that word?

Make firefox user agent like Microsoft Windows XP or something like that...

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/
ok. cheers. i'm just going through synaptic trying to find any codecs or anything that may have slipped under my radar, but there isn't really much.
i've just installed it, so now i'll have to restart firefox and see if it works.

EDIT: well, i've switched it to IE 6. whilst it doesn't give me the message that it did before, it still doesn't play the video.

XVampireX
January 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Maybe because there isn't any video?

ComplexNumber
January 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Maybe because there isn't any video?
well, that would be a logical explanation :p. that leaves me a baffled about exactly what i wasn't able to play. it claims there was a video there.

mips
January 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I sent a mail to them yesterday but still have not heard anything, but then again my expectations are not high...

tombott
January 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
The irony of it all is that the website is probably hosted on a linux server!

ComplexNumber
January 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I sent a mail to them yesterday but still have not heard anything, but then again my expectations are not high...
i wouldn't be holding my breath either.

The irony of it all is that the website is probably hosted on a linux server!i don't don't if its running on linux, but i do know that its using apache because i deliberately made it so that i got the 404 error, and it showed me this:
Apache/1.3.27 Server at climate.weather.com Port 80

i first tried to run the video with the NoScript firefox extention switched off, but when i switch it on, i get the following screenshot.....so i wonder if thats a clue. i'm using firefox 2.0.0.1. then again, even when used the IE6 emulator thing, i still couldn't see any video.

mips
January 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM
The irony of it all is that the website is probably hosted on a linux server!

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/graph?site=www.weather.com

ComplexNumber
January 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/graph?site=www.weather.com
so many of the weather.com sites are using linux after all, yet they don't make it easy for users using linux to view the entire contents of their site to the same extent as windows and mac users can. hehe thats classic!

Sefrin
January 25th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I experienced something like this at tsn.ca

I sent them an email months ago and never heard back.

mips
January 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
i wouldn't be holding my breath either.

Well they did respond. They use Flash and have had several complaints from Linux users. They are looking into the problem.

Dear xxx yyyy,

Thank you for contacting The Weather Channel Interactive.

*See answer to your inquiry below*

- Show quoted text -

I will forward your inquiry to the appropriate product manager for immediate
follow-up. Our player is a flash based player. We have heard from several
Linux users that they are experiencing problems as well and we are looking
into this issue.

Sincerely,
Customer Relations
TWCi

MaindotC
April 9th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I experienced something like this at tsn.ca

I sent them an email months ago and never heard back.

I don't know when TSN did this but I visited their site for the first time in a while today (I've been browsing Sportsnet all this time in place of TSN) and I see they now use an embedded what-looks-to-be-like flashplayer. Thank god!

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
they must have fixed it. i didn't have any trouble with any of their videos.

MaindotC
April 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well I was referring to the TSN.ca website. I never had any problems with the weather channel, either.

jrusso2
April 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
they must have fixed it. i didn't have any trouble with any of their videos.

Plays for me also in Flash 9

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Plays for me also in Flash 9

that must be what he's missing. flash (http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux)

sailor2001
April 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM
firefox tools/addons/extensions/user agent switcher

madjr
April 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
try the mplayer firefox/mozilla plugin

chucky chuckaluck
April 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
try the mplayer firefox/mozilla plugin

i didn't think the mplayer plugin played flash stuff. does it?

AndyCooll
April 9th, 2008, 09:20 PM
i didn't think the mplayer plugin played flash stuff. does it?
No it doesn't. As you mentioned earlier, it's Flash (of the Adobe or Gnash kind) that's making that work..

:cool: