PDA

View Full Version : Gmail Alternative

healthpellets
January 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I'm looking for a Gmail alternative for a variety of reasons. Mainly privacy issues. I need something with good-sized storage and pop3 capability (free would be nice).

Thanks.

mips
January 24th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Define good sized storage.

I have about 3GB on my Gmail account and I can access it via POP3.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555
http://mail.google.com/support/?ctx=%67mail&hl=en_GB

healthpellets
January 24th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Define good sized storage.

I have about 3GB on my Gmail account and I can access it via POP3.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555
http://mail.google.com/support/?ctx=%67mail&hl=en_GB

I currently have a Gmail account. But I no longer want to use it as my primary email account for a variety of reasons. I'm looking for a free service that has at least 1G of storage. And if it were based outside of the US, that would be even better...

thanks.

mips
January 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Maybe have a look at http://freeola.com/free-email/

I'm sure there are others. Just ensure the servers/domain are outside the US. But these days everything can be had for a price. There are also things like Echelon out there which apparently can access almost anything.

hanzomon4
January 25th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I use gmail.....
Could you go into detail about your concerns, should I be worried?!?

bastiegast
January 25th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Hotmail / Windows Live mail :twisted: Why not I'd say? It has 1 GB + storage afaik.

Please don't kill me for suggesting ad/commercial spoiled MS services :-P

Grey
January 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I use gmail.....
Could you go into detail about your concerns, should I be worried?!?

The US has some seriously scary lack of privacy legislation. Google is an American company.

Polygon
January 25th, 2007, 12:52 AM
honestly, sure they have it in their EULA that they can look at your email and possibly give it to the goverment to need be, but what would they DO with your email? as long as your not doing anything illegal, why does it matter if they can "view your email or not". Think about how many people use gmail. think about how many emails all of those users have put together. Do you really think google is going to look through of all of them?

I just feel that refusing to use a service because of a statement in their EULA that is most likely only there to cover google's butt / legal reasons is just silly.

any free online email service most likely has the same thing in their EULA. The only really secure way to do email is having your own email server, and then your ISP might be able to or maybe even does keep a record of email sent.

~LoKe
January 25th, 2007, 01:05 AM
While you obviously have a good reason to want to change, I figure I can toss in a point.

Google has done everything in their power to protect the privacy of their users. If memory serves, they were recently asked for information regarding what was searched for using their system, and they had a legal battle of sorts to protect that information. They won.

Personally, I trust Google more than any other major company in their field. But if you're hell-bent on paranoia, I would suggest picking up your own cheap hosting and using that for e-mail.

RAV TUX
January 25th, 2007, 01:27 AM
There are a lot of good reasons not to use Google beyond just them being a US company....the best reason is I simple choose not to use Google.

I have @cafeubuntu.com enabled with Gmail as the email host....but never use it

I like Yahoo-Verizons non-free premium e-mail service best....

Yahoo is free but again a US company

I have a free unlimited space email account with my website that I never use....but that is another story

23meg
January 25th, 2007, 01:41 AM
FastMail is based in Australia and is a good alternative, especially if you're willing to pay a few bucks.

http://www.fastmail.fm

banjobacon
January 25th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Yahoo is free but again a US company

I don't remember too well, but wasn't Yahoo one of the American ISP complying with the government's request to see users' search histories?

If privacy is what you're after, encrypt your mail.

ihatethedekoys
January 25th, 2007, 02:20 AM
http://riseup.net/ is the only one I know of that won't cave and give in your emails to the government, or ad agencies, or anything like that. They're a collective basically formed to provide a safe, and secure email service for activists.

But they only have 15 megs of storage.

I don't know of any privacy based free mail services with a large amount of storage.

gjtoth
January 25th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I'm looking for a Gmail alternative for a variety of reasons. Mainly privacy issues. I need something with good-sized storage and pop3 capability (free would be nice).

Thanks.

Inbox.com 5 gigs free... GREAT interface.

KaroSHiv0n
January 25th, 2007, 02:40 AM
for all the privacy nuts: www.hushmail.com

RAV TUX
January 25th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I don't remember too well, but wasn't Yahoo one of the American ISP complying with the government's request to see users' search histories?

If privacy is what you're after, encrypt your mail.not much worried about privacy.....Yahoo is still a major shareholder of Google always has been and always will be....

I find their search engine better....many times I have done a search on Google and had disappointing results...search on Yahoo and everything is right on....the page rank system is a failure....for searchs....but great for ad revenue.

454redhawk
January 25th, 2007, 04:26 AM
for all the privacy nuts: www.hushmail.com

I was also goint to suggest this.

Tipo
January 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Is there any new information recently about this whole Gmail privacy issue? Most articles that I've found about it are back from 2004 or so... Wasn't sure if things have been revised...

I use gmail as my main account, and the basic consensus that I came to when deciding to use it full time was that when gmail scanned for things like spam, it used that information to search through a database of ads, showing ones that matched the searches... Is that all that it does, or am I missing something?

Are there any benefits to using a service like riseup.net? (storage is not a big issue for me, seeing as I never use more than 1 MB of storage on gmail)

hkgonra
January 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I guess I just always felt that if the government wants to get to your e-mail , or anything else for that matter there is nothing you can do to stop them.

Corbelius
January 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
@aim.com

Mateo
January 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I've started to hate google now. I think I only use them for news. Between their god-awful video service, and bloating everything they do, while ignoring their obligation to making good searches, and not to mention their censorship in China, I simply don't want to bother with them any more.

jethro10
January 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Inbox.com has been mentioned here as an alternative, can anyone vouch for these people.

I've just setup an address with them and installed the tray icon (windows) and it keeps trying to steal my default search provider even though i've switched it off.

Also the website offers things like smilies and screensavers but it looks horribly like spyware to me...

It all looks just too dodgy and too good to be true.

anyone have any info on these lot?

Ta
J

jdong
January 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM
If you want privacy, you encrypt your e-mails. Choosing ANY e-mail service provider for the reason of privacy is just unrealistic and ill-advised.

healthpellets
January 27th, 2007, 05:13 AM
If you want privacy, you encrypt your e-mails. Choosing ANY e-mail service provider for the reason of privacy is just unrealistic and ill-advised.

First off, to the poster that said basically, "If you're not doing anything illegal, then don't worry about it...", that's not the point. Just because I'm pulled over for speeding, I'm not going to let the cop search my car sans warrant/probable cause. There are so few civil liberties remaining in this country that I'm not going to loosen my grip on the precious few I can control. /rant

I'm simply looking for a secure service that won't read my mail and will fight to the end to prevent the government from reading my mail NOT because I'm doing anything wrong, but because I don't want anyone reading my mail. Period. Just so you know, the US government now has the power to open ANY piece of mail that is handled by the USPS. ANY. PIECE. OF. MAIL.
So if you're sending something illegal, send it FedEx.

Ok, so let's discuss encrypting emails. I understand the concept of using encrypted email. But I'm not going to encrypt every email I send to my mom/sister/girlfriend/prison penpal/etc. But that doesn't mean I want anyone reading it outside of the designated recipient. Any alternatives?

Here are a couple more questions:

If I choose not to leave a copy on the Gmail server, is it really gone? Or is it still floating around somewhere in the Googleverse?

Is there a way to encrypt emails on my computer (btw, if someone could develop a decent GUI for Truecrypt, you'd be da bombdizzle!)?

boredandblogging.com
January 27th, 2007, 05:18 AM
FastMail is based in Australia and is a good alternative, especially if you're willing to pay a few bucks.

http://www.fastmail.fm

Umm...no. I wasn't able to access my fastmail account for 3 days last November because they screwed up.

Its possible that they have gotten their act together, but I'd wait and see.

boredandblogging.com
January 27th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Ok, so let's discuss encrypting emails. I understand the concept of using encrypted email. But I'm not going to encrypt every email I send to my mom/sister/girlfriend/prison penpal/etc. But that doesn't mean I want anyone reading it outside of the designated recipient. Any alternatives?

If you are going to some a third-party email host, there is ALWAYS the risk of someone else reading your mail. Companies can guarantee the world in the TOS, but how do you know they will stand by it? Seriously, I know Google has some muscle to fight the federal gov't, but what hope does some small shop have against their government?

Encrypt as much as possible.

If I choose not to leave a copy on the Gmail server, is it really gone? Or is it still floating around somewhere in the Googleverse?

Apparently Google does delete emails. There was a Firefox 2.0 bug where some cross-site scripting could delete the users gmail email if they were logged in. Something like 60 users complained that all their email was gone. Google said there was no way to get it back since it was deleted.

jdong
January 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Here are a couple more questions:

Is there a way to encrypt emails on my computer (btw, if someone could develop a decent GUI for Truecrypt, you'd be da bombdizzle!)?

Sending e-mail is like sending a postcard to a house a mile away by giving it to your neighbor and telling him to give it to his neighbor.... until it reaches the final house.

An e-mail would pass cleartext though several servers and routers before it reaches its destination, also landing in the logfiles of these servers. To think that everyone has the "integrity" to shield their eyes from your e-mails is not realistic. If you don't want your e-mails being read, only send and store encrypted mail. Otherwise, anything else is a gimmick and not true peace of mind. GPG encryption is not difficult to set up and there are GUI's for it on any OS.

there are also services like http://www.cryptomail.org/ that store all your e-mails encrypted. However, cryptomail only encrypts mails to other cryptomail users (IIRC). Hushpuppy is a service that can encrypt to any PGP/GPG user, but it's heavily advertised to the point that you'd definitely want to pay for it if you use seriously.

EDIT: Cryptomail is switching to OpenPGP too, so soon it'll be able to send to all GPG/PGP users.

Malcolm
November 19th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Has anyone here found a good alternative to GMail? I myself am looking for one, having realised recently that the results of Google Search are driven by ads and other parameters (my IP address), and definitely not content or relevancy. I'm starting to think that we should verify if Google is still "the best", like it surely was for a long time since it started.

I have no reason to believe that their email service is pure and sincere instead, and the privacy issues have started worrying me a bit. Yahoo! has more ads, it's probably just the same when it comes to privacy, but when I search on Yahoo! the results make a lot more sense.

So I want to get rid of GMail as well - not that this will solve anything, but I'm curious to see if there actually IS a good alternative. I haven't found one yet.

DigitalDuality
November 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM
d

Depressed Man
November 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM
The way I see it is this way..

All companies will read your email (or scan it at least for whatever reason..anti-virus, ads, etc..). Google's just upfront about it (as they point it out in their EULA).

But yeah, it sucks. I partially combat this issue by spreading email across different accounts and encrypting my more important ones.

n3tfury
November 19th, 2007, 10:22 PM
or you could just use that tinfoil to bake some fish and not worry about it.

Malcolm
November 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
DigitalDuality: Setting up my own email server is an interesting idea, thank you - I'll definitely give it a try sooner or later. However, that can't be an alternative to GMail for common internet users.

Depressed Man: what you say is true as well, all of these free, huge email services will scan and read through your mail for several reasons. This doesn't mean that it's right, though. There's a difference in the way GMail did it: people basically traded in their privacy for a huge email storage space which they can't possibly fill. And even feeling members of an exclusive club, because we all got our GMail accounts with "invites"... which were even being sold on eBay a few years ago. :o

Compared to other email services, GMail undeniably works very well. I usually don't care so much about the policies of this or that corporation, but the way I feel Google has been exploiting its fame scares me a bit right now, and GMail is one of those services that make me worry the most, after having used it for years.

hkgonra
November 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I like gmail , and use the google apps at your domain for my company e-mail and have set it up for several small companies and non-profits I work with.

ice60
November 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
here's some recent news about Hush Mail, there are lots of other posts about it, that was just the first result when i just searched.
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/11/encrypted-e-mai.html

apparently there's 2 types of Hush Mail, one which uses a java applet and one that doesn't use java. i'm fairly sure one is totally safe, but i can't remember which lol

CustomizeGoogle does some things to help with your privacy and google like anonymising the google cookie ID and also removing google ads, i'm not sure about gmail, but i think there is a setting for gmail in it. oh, it does make sure you use https when you send you email.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743

here's CustomizeGoogle for Opera
http://www.smir.de/cg/

Crashmaxx
November 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I really like Gmail. I honestly have no problem with them scanning all my mail to add harmless ads. There is no one at Google shifting through billions of emails for something interesting. And while I am glad they have refused to give info to the gov, you really shouldn't have anything they would want.

Basically, you have to realize that email is a very insecure form of communication. Snail mail is only remotely secure because you only have to worry about a few postal workers looking at it if they feel so. But email passes through countless servers and you have no idea how much of it may be saved. But this isn't the whole problem, people save most of their emails and forward them very fast. That is how gov representatives keep getting in trouble. It usually not the servers in between but their own records or those that they sent it too. If anything it would be their own computer or the server in their office. Encrypting will help stop the middle men from looking, but the people on the other end can be a much bigger problem.

So basically, I feel it is more important to remember that email isn't very private or secure by nature. I wouldn't recommend saying anything on email you wouldn't be willing to post on a public forum. Cause whether on purpose, or even by accident, your message can easily be worldwide and public in seconds.

So I really wouldn't worry that much about privacy with Gmail then any other email service. I'll certainly continue to use it. If you're paranoid, there are steps you can take, but it is more important people remember how wide open email is by nature and don't put their illicit business there. Use the phone or meet in person, perhaps in a dark alley, for business you'd like to hide.

On that point, instant messaging is at least as bad, but people forget that they aren't having a private conversation, and that the other end can have a full transcript for the world to see. Its not that someone is watching you, really it is the fact you are on a global public network. We often forget how public what we say on the web is, and that is a more important lesson then all the tin foil hats you can wear.

jdong
November 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Email is inherently insecure. You wouldn't send a postcard with confidential information on it, would you? Encrypt sensitive information -- that's your only chance at any privacy. You can control your own mail server but not whatever servers your mail passes through to and from others.

Kymus
November 20th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I'd switch to something other than gmail if it had something to notify me of when I have new mail.

Malcolm
November 20th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I know how email protocols work. That's not what worries me. And I'm sure no one actually thinks people at Google read their emails one by one.

The issue here is the "statistical" method Google uses to invade privacy. In other words, it's not giving us 2.8 GB or whatever it's become now for our own convenience, but for their own. They gather information from our emails, it might be anonymous but it's never going to be thrown away, and it's still OURS. If you wanted to delete it, you couldn't. You can delete your emails, but whatever was extracted from it will stay with Google. The same happens with searches.

This is used to show us ads and search results that are "commercially" important, not necessarily relevant to what you wanted. It's us doing a service to them, not the other way around. We're paying it, and we think we aren't, and even feel it like a luxury. GMail is innovative in many ways, but that's only because Google needs it to be so, not because it will serve their users better.

K.Mandla
November 20th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Gmail is also a bit too convenient for Google, in my opinion. I've gotten e-mails from recruiters and HR people at Google, asking if I was interested in a job there.

So even if they're not reading your e-mail, they're definitely scanning it and using it as a way to pad their resume bank. Maybe that's okay for you, but it's a little creepy to me.

stimpack
November 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I'd trust Google more than any other webmail provider. Google being open about things is not a *bad* thing. hotmail/yahoo do the same, they just don't tell you.

You're gonna get your *** bitten if you trust any email tbh, for me, gmail+firegpg, unbeatable.

Kymus
November 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I know how email protocols work. That's not what worries me. And I'm sure no one actually thinks people at Google read their emails one by one.

More than likely, they have a system set up that's similar to ECHELON which relies on keywords. Double that when you consider that Google was founded with CIA seed money accourding to former US Spy of 20 years and intelligence expert Robert Steele.

n3tfury
November 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM
oh brother, here we go.

ice60
November 20th, 2007, 03:33 PM
oh brother, here we go.
lol

i don't like google at all, but i always see anything new they come up with as another way to get more information about you, which is what they are trying to do so they can target more ads at you.

i honestly don't understand how someone can see their online office suite and think oh wow that's great?? how can you not value your privacy?

maybe not on linux, but i bet the same people who say "i've got nothing important on my computer, so i don't take any interest in security" are the same windows users who are part of a huge bot network ready to attack some site, and sending out 100s of spam an hour, while being totally oblivious to it all lol

yeehi
December 2nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
check out these:

fastmail.com (aussie, i believe. maybe not enough storage for you...)
myrealbox.com (From Novell, the Suse people.)

Both have storage problems, from your point of view, but are good.

thyatt73@gmail.com
March 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM
FYI
Check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GzA9Xu_oEo

And this site:
http://www.google-watch.org/

helliewm
March 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
What about http://www.gmx.com?

kellemes
March 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
What about http://www.gmx.com?

Used there email-service for a long time, until.. somewhere in 2002 I got the following mail from them.

Dear GMX member,

as you are a user of our e-mail services, you might know that GMX is
a company based in Munich, Germany. Despite the international reach
of the Internet and irrespective of globalisation our user statistics
reflect the fact that we are a German-based company: More than 97
percent of our members state that German is their mother tongue.

In view of the global nature of the Internet we have so far offered
our main features in various languages. However, the design, the host
of features and security standards of our multi-lingual website are
no longer state-of-the art and do not meet the high standard we set
for the German site. From an economic point of view it seems not
reasonable to us to adapt our multilingual webpages. For this reason,
we have finally decided to give up the international versions as of
January 31, 2002.

Please be informed that your e-mail address is still available after
this date. You can use your adress under the same domain as in the
past. You can further use an external mail program or enjoy the whole
range of features GMX offers on the German website. Maybe you take
this as an opportunity to brush up your knowledge of German a bit.

We appreciate your understanding for this decision and would be happy
to welcome you again on our website.

Kind regards

Your GMX team

They won't see me again..

Nerdriot
March 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM
This is why I'm kind of hesitant about Gmail...

http://epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html

Ebuntor
March 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
for all the privacy nuts: www.hushmail.com (http://www.hushmail.com)

You'll have to be nuts to use Hushmail.com indeed since it offers no privacy. Hushmail is practically owned by the NSA. (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/20/nsa-0wnz-popular-firewalls) (There are more articles on the web about that site but this is the only one I have in my bookmarks)

loungedaddy
July 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Bumping an old thread. These are all great suggestions for e-mail! I'm going to look into some of these. However the comment that no e-mail is really offers privacy makes sense.

I am looking for something to replace a lot of Google's apps--Blogger, G-mail, Google shopping, etc. And I completely removed any of Google's personal info archiving utilities--esp Google desktop.

Not because I do not trust Google; I love Google and the minds behind the many innovations. But the archiving is too complete and too convenient... and I do not trust the Federal Government.

With the recent Federal judge demanding that Google hand over YouTube viewing records (http://www.memphisrap.com/cgi-bin/content/pub9990263694155.cgi?itemid=9980292627225), it sets a precedence that can be used for other demands to be made of Google.

Now I see why the Federal government is overseeing Windows 7 (http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/federal-government-overseeing.html), and wants to make sure that Google's programs are installed. It makes it all the easier for the government; they only have to haul one company into court to get whatever personal records they want!

I guess the closest to total security, as far as e-mail goes, is to set up my own server and host my own e-mail?

farhanm29
July 28th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Hi,
is inbox.com really safer than GMail? I think: nothing is safe enough. But with GMail, i could receive more viruses etc. because they forward your address to other firms-as I heard. But is inbox.com really so safe that I can use it as alternative email provider?
MyRealBox does not work-i mean: unregisterable.
Actually: Google Mail is the right thing with MSN Today i would use it. But: the privacy is my biggest concern. I don't know if my datas are soooooooo important. But it is not the point.
Ok, i also use Linux :D

@ice60: which email client/provider do u use?

farhanm29
July 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Bumping an old thread. These are all great suggestions for e-mail! I'm going to look into some of these. However the comment that no e-mail is really offers privacy makes sense.

I am looking for something to replace a lot of Google's apps--Blogger, G-mail, Google shopping, etc. And I completely removed any of Google's personal info archiving utilities--esp Google desktop.

Not because I do not trust Google; I love Google and the minds behind the many innovations. But the archiving is too complete and too convenient... and I do not trust the Federal Government.

With the recent Federal judge demanding that Google hand over YouTube viewing records (http://www.memphisrap.com/cgi-bin/content/pub9990263694155.cgi?itemid=9980292627225), it sets a precedence that can be used for other demands to be made of Google.

Now I see why the Federal government is overseeing Windows 7 (http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/06/federal-government-overseeing.html), and wants to make sure that Google's programs are installed. It makes it all the easier for the government; they only have to haul one company into court to get whatever personal records they want!

I guess the closest to total security, as far as e-mail goes, is to set up my own server and host my own e-mail?

My conclusion is:
the internet IS bad!
Yes, you have to take your own server, where you host your own emails. Google is not the only company that stores our datas. Yahoo as well as Microsoft save our datas. Our privacy has gone by enterring into the internet. That's a sad fact. GMX, Yahoo, Hotmail, Google Mail, ... - they allare free. For making money, they need to sell our datas and informations. We have to be careful. Otherwise, we shouldn't wonder, what we will discover in some years about ourselves' informations.
So, I give up searching for a safe email account. I've heard soemthing about Lavabit. I'm not sure, they really do what they promise, but I'll see.

Detonate
July 12th, 2010, 04:15 PM
RE: GMX mail. I have been using it for a couple of years now and it works fine. POP access in Thunderbird is easy. I have no problem using it in English. http://www.gmx.com/

alexan
July 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Thanks.
gmx.com. it come free with ten aliases (which you can erase to have more "free slot")

farhanm29
July 17th, 2010, 02:17 PM
gmx.com. it come free with ten aliases (which you can erase to have more "free slot")

Does GMX care of the privacy of its users?
I've heard something negative about United Internet which provides GMX.net (GMX.de, GMX.com , ....)

Detonate
July 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Does GMX care of the privacy of its users?
I've heard something negative about United Internet which provides GMX.net (GMX.de, GMX.com , ....)

Care to enlighten us? What did you hear? What is the source?

farhanm29
July 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Internet#GMX

It's not about GMX itself. But it is about the company which is behind GMX- Unted Internet. It is said that you get easily a contract to GMX' paid services- and you can hardly do anything against it.
But I have never been such an casuality.

vstrien
September 29th, 2010, 10:44 AM
From the GMX terms & conditions (http://www.gmx.com/terms.html#Privacy):

14.4. Your personal information, including information regarding nonpayment or other misuse of the GMX Services, may be transferred to other affiliated entities, whether in the United States or elsewhere. If you do not consent to this transfer, do not accept the terms and conditions for the GMX services.

farhanm29
December 31st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Hi,
yes I told you, that GMX is not trustable like gmail.
How important is encryption during email-checking?
If it is very important, I have found another service:
Lavabit. www.lavabit.com works with AES-256-CBC. It is said, that our datas will not be achieveable even from Lavabit staff itsself.
Privacy and security.
I use it, after my university's mail-account (which uses CAMELLIA-256-CBC).
I found out that Google uses RC4-128. RC4 is supposed to be less secure than AES. The same fact to hotmail.
United Internet (which hosts GMX) earned critics.

Hip-Hopapotamus
June 23rd, 2011, 05:24 AM
Read this story:http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/22/u-s-conducting-mass-surveillance-against-arab-world-report/

Research led me to this thread...if it ever needed a bump.....