PDA

View Full Version : White Deer!!

DougieFresh4U
January 24th, 2007, 04:30 PM
On recent visit to upstate N.Y. I saw this.There was a whole herd of "white deer", but I could only get one and not to close as they are on the old abandoned Seneca Army Depot, which has a New York State Prison on part of the property.8). Where the white deer roam
March 21, 2005 •• 871 words •• ID: roc2005032213383033
Eco-tourism reserve proposed to protect world's only such herd. Jack Jones Staff writer ROMULUS - When the U.S. Army began closing its sprawling weapons depot and pulling out of Seneca County in 1995, it left behind more than just a 10,600-acre white elephant. Enclosed within the 24-mile perimeter of fencing that surrounds the former weapons storage site is a herd of white deer that wildlife conservationists say is the only herd of its kind in the world.

Super King
January 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Albino deer...only seen one in my life in the wild. Pretty cool (and rare I imagine) to see a whole herd of them.

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 04:49 PM
feisty fawns?

dbbolton
January 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM
i bet they're good eatin'

EdThaSlayer
January 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I never knew that white deer existed or maybe they don't exist at all. Nice computer theme by the way.

EDIT:I checked the internet, and these deer are VERY rare!

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
man, it's been so long since I've had venison. yum.

DougieFresh4U
January 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I never knew that white deer existed or maybe they don't exist at all. Nice computer theme by the way.

EDIT:I checked the internet, and these deer are VERY rare!

added 2 more:lolflag:

mips
January 24th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I never knew that white deer existed or maybe they don't exist at all.

You live in africa, weird that you have never seen white/albino buck. Albinism occurs in most species of animals. I've see a few in my time, including people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism
http://www.messybeast.com/albinism/albino-index.htm

ComplexNumber
January 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM

man, it's been so long since I've had venison. yum.
what? you eat deer?

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
what? you eat deer?
naturally.

ComplexNumber
January 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
naturally.
both of you guys must be american. that's something that, apparently, us british did about 500 years ago, but we've moved on since then.

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 05:40 PM
both of you guys must be american. that's something that, apparently, us british did about 500 years ago, but we've moved on since then.
last place I had venison was in England, as it happened.

ComplexNumber
January 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
last place I had venison was in England, as it happened.
thats odd because i've never heard of anybody ever eating deer here anywhere across the country. and i've definitely never seen it being sold. i guess you were served in some pub or restaurant that caters for alternative tastes.

frrobert
January 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
According to the website about the deer, the deer are not albino they are white deer.

http://www.senecawhitedeer.org/history/deer.htm

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
thats odd because i've never heard of anybody ever eating deer here anywhere across the country. and i've definitely never seen it being sold. i guess you were served in some pub or restaurant that caters for alternative tastes.
plenty of venison for sale at Borough Market in London.

mips
January 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Uhm, when watching BBC food or the Food channel venison usually pops up on some restaurant menu.

Buy your venison online:
www.hfv.co.uk
www.graigfarm.co.uk/pkven.htm
http://www.blackface.co.uk/
http://www.alternativemeats.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=34
http://www.welshvenisoncentre.co.uk/
http://www.healthyvenison.co.uk/

Jeepers, you brits have many online venison resources.

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Uhm, when watching BBC food or the Food channel venison usually pops up on some restaurant menu.

Buy your venison online:
www.hfv.co.uk
www.graigfarm.co.uk/pkven.htm
http://www.blackface.co.uk/
http://www.alternativemeats.co.uk/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=34
http://www.welshvenisoncentre.co.uk/
http://www.healthyvenison.co.uk/

Jeepers, you brits have many online venison resources.
and my father has spoken with respect and affection for the biltong in S. Africa...

ComplexNumber
January 24th, 2007, 07:02 PM

not on any typical families dinner table it doesn't. find me a family that has venison even once or twice here, and i will show you bill gates espousing linux.

fuscia
January 24th, 2007, 07:06 PM
wow! i've seen plenty of white jackalopes, but never a white deer before.

mips
January 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM
and my father has spoken with respect and affection for the biltong in S. Africa...

You had to go and mention that, now the cravings have started :biggrin:

It's to late to get good biltong now as the bigger shops & butchers are closed. The 24/7 shops do not sell nice biltong, prepackaged vacuum sealed junk.

Tell your dad i say he has very good tastes ;) I would gladly send him/you some but i suspect it will be intercepted at customs. Dunno what their policy is on dried meat.

mips
January 24th, 2007, 07:20 PM
not on any typical families dinner table it doesn't. find me a family that has venison even once or twice here, and i will show you bill gates espousing linux.

Maybe it is something more enjoyed by the upper classes if i could call it that. It's not someting we eat hear every day either, only on the odd occasion or at a restaurant.

I do however have ostrich on a more regular basis. It is a very nice meat. Dark red meat, very low in fat and endorsed by the heart foundation. Besides that I have had springbuck, warthog, bushpig, kudu, impala, crocodile and probably other things i have forgotten about like shark etc. I do not think I will be eating cane rat though.

ComplexNumber
January 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I do however have ostrich on a more regular basis. It is a very nice meat. Dark red meat, very low in fat and endorsed by the heart foundation. Besides that I have had springbuck, warthog, bushpig, kudu, impala, crocodile and probably other things i have forgotten about like shark etc. I do not think I will be eating cane rat though.
:shock:
so i guess Eye of Newt is a regular dish over there.

banjobacon
January 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Instead of posting photos of the white deer, you posted screenshots of F-Spot displaying photos of the white deer. Why?

Have these images been F-Spotted?

DougieFresh4U
January 24th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Instead of posting photos of the white deer, you posted screenshots of F-Spot displaying photos of the white deer. Why?

Have these images been F-Spotted?

When I tried to upload pics, forum grumbled about being over 904 kb or some thing to that effect and I didn't know how to make them work.Had to play around to figure a way to display. still kind of new to all this (digital camera) :confused:

ButteBlues
January 24th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Well, anyone who's had venison is well aware that it has much more taste to it than beef ever will.

And most anyone in America who's ever been hunting has had venison. ;)

mips
January 24th, 2007, 09:23 PM
:shock:
so i guess Eye of Newt is a regular dish over there.

Nah, that would be to small & a waste of time :)

Would rather uses it in a witches brew ;)

goofey24
January 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
On recent visit to upstate N.Y. I saw this.There was a whole herd of "white deer", but I could only get one and not to close as they are on the old abandoned Seneca Army Depot, which has a New York State Prison on part of the property.8). Where the white deer roam
March 21, 2005 •• 871 words •• ID: roc2005032213383033
Eco-tourism reserve proposed to protect world's only such herd. Jack Jones Staff writer ROMULUS - When the U.S. Army began closing its sprawling weapons depot and pulling out of Seneca County in 1995, it left behind more than just a 10,600-acre white elephant. Enclosed within the 24-mile perimeter of fencing that surrounds the former weapons storage site is a herd of white deer that wildlife conservationists say is the only herd of its kind in the world.

Been there and seen. Pretty cool :D

KaeseEs
January 25th, 2007, 07:24 AM
This is interesting, to me, because the head of one of those is mounted in my old bedroom.

My father was hunting there once in 1997. They have a lottery system set up for hunts, and he'd finally gotten his ticket after several years of waiting. They have it set up such that each hunter is stationed by a concrete 'igloo' (they were weapons caches before the base was mostly de-milled), each about a half-mile apart. My dad got one. About 70 pounds of meat from it.

For those interested, the herd isn't technically albino, as their eyes are brown, not red.

I'll post a pic of the rack if I can find one.

yabbadabbadont
January 25th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Well, anyone who's had venison is well aware that it has much more taste to it than beef ever will.

And most anyone in America who's ever been hunting has had venison. ;)

Bear chili is good too. (Black Bear in this case) I even had BBQ racoon once... it was very greasy and gamey.

I've only seen two white deer before. They were both albinos though. (one dead and one alive)

ButteBlues
January 25th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Bear chili is good too. (Black Bear in this case) I even had BBQ racoon once... it was very greasy and gamey.

I've only seen two white deer before. They were both albinos though. (one dead and one alive)
I'm a big fan of buffalo burgers, personally. =)

yabbadabbadont
January 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I'm a big fan of buffalo burgers, personally. =)

There is a truckstop on I-29 between St. Joseph (MO) and Omaha (NE) that serves buffalo (and beefalo) burgers. Very tasty. Nice and lean with a slightly stronger taste than plain beef.

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
There is a truckstop on I-29 between St. Joseph (MO) and Omaha (NE) that serves buffalo (and beefalo) burgers. Very tasty. Nice and lean with a slightly stronger taste than plain beef.
I'm a TOTAL fan of buffalo burgers. (Bison, I guess if you're being pedantic about it...) There's a place around here that serves 'em.

ButteBlues
January 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I'm a TOTAL fan of buffalo burgers. (Bison, I guess if you're being pedantic about it...) There's a place around here that serves 'em.
Ever since I moved to Georgia from Montana, I've been unable to locate any. =(

fuscia
January 25th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Ever since I moved to Georgia from Montana, I've been unable to locate any. =(

is there a 'whole foods' in your area? that's where i got mine, at first, in nc.

ButteBlues
January 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM
is there a 'whole foods' in your area? that's where i got mine, at first, in nc.
I'll have to check next time I head into Atlanta.