PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, friends =)

TheAlmightyNilz
January 24th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Just thought I'd make my formal appearance on the Ubuntu forums for the first time. How is everyone? :D

I'm turning 20 in 3 days. This week is the week I finally got fed up with Windows after 19 years of strife and heartache, and switched to what I should have been using all along: Linux, Ubuntu.
I had been using Windows x64 edition for a few months, which was alot better than 32bit XP, but still had all the trappings of crappy ol' WIndows. Frequent crashes, applications freezing, slow loading...

My brother had been using Fedora Core 6 for several months, and kept telling me "You've got to switch to Linux, it's so much better!". Well, 3 days ago, I finally gave in. He had tried using the 64 bit Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 cd for his laptop, but it didn't work so he labelled it "this sucks". Still a newb to Linux at the time, I asked him what Ubuntu was, and he told me it was the most popular distribution of Linux, and everyone loves it. My reaction of course being, so...why does it suck?

Long story short, it installed fine on my desktop rig, but after several hours of problems with installing graphics card drivers, we gave up and switched to his beloved Fedora Core 6, which he assured me would work fine. It didn't.

So I read up on Ubuntu, found the 32 bit version which supposedly had support for nearly everything, drivers and all, and tried that out. And here I am, a proud user of 32 bit Ubuntu Edgy.

We had no problems really with getting everything to work, and I absolutely love it. It's such a nice change from the stress of using Windows. Just thought I'd share my little testimonial here. :)

Most likely I'll be posting on these boards frequently now as I am still quite a Linux newbie, but I'm looking forward to learning. All hail Ubuntu! :biggrin:

MkfIbK7a
January 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
this should have been in the "TESTIMONIALS" forum

TheAlmightyNilz
January 24th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Whoops, my fault. :( I thought since this was general discussion anything could go here...Well, I guess someone should move it then.

MkfIbK7a
January 24th, 2007, 06:44 AM
its ok that was just for future reference:D

so if you ever feel the need to tell everyone how great ubuntu is on your compuiter post it there;)

banjobacon
January 24th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I'm turning 20 in 3 days. This week is the week I finally got fed up with Windows after 19 years of strife and heartache, and switched to what I should have been using all along: Linux, Ubuntu.

Nineteen years? Really? You were using Windows when you were one?

I mean... Welcome.

TheAlmightyNilz
January 24th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Nineteen years? Really? You were using Windows when you were one?

*Ahem*...If you want to be technical about it, then make that 13 years. :roll: I remember the first time I used Windows was at my aunt's when I was in 1st or 2nd grade, playing Solitaire.
But really, it was just a general implication that I have used Windows for most of my life...](*,)

MkfIbK7a
January 24th, 2007, 06:58 AM
*Ahem*...If you want to be technical about it, then make that 13 years. :roll: I remember the first time I used Windows was at my aunt's when I was in 1st or 2nd grade, playing Solitaire.
But really, it was just a general implication that I have used Windows for most of my life...](*,)

well i doubt solitaire gave you much trouble:D

but really welcome to ubuntu and the community!):P

azkehmm
January 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM
well i doubt solitaire gave you much trouble:D

but really welcome to ubuntu and the community!):P
I had solitaire blow up my PC once.... and this one time... at bandcamp... etc, etc.