PDA

View Full Version : Vmware vs Parallel

yopnono
January 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
What do you say about this vmware vs parallels virtualization, which is better, faster, more stable etc,etc.
I my self prefer vmware is faster on my machine. And also vmware is free of charge.

vmware http://www.vmware.com/
parallels http://www.parallels.com/

Technoviking
January 23rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
I have used both, VMware has more feature and supports more drivers, but Paralells is super fast. Both seem very stable.

yopnono
January 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
I have used both, VMware has more feature and supports more drivers, but Paralells is super fast. Both seem very stable.

Super fast. On my machine it's slower than vmware and I mean slower. Thats why I ask, because a lot of people have told me that parallel is faster than vmware, but on for me on a clean install o WinXP. This is on a dapper 1.6m 1G Ram.

edit

jvc26
January 23rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
I prefer VMWare mainly as it has more features and driver support than parallel. I havent used parallel half as much though, so it may well be a lack of experience with the alternatives.
Il

Macintosh Sauce
January 24th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Parallels rocks! VMware is OK, but Parallels has more cool features IMO.

yopnono
January 24th, 2007, 12:51 AM
but Parallels has more cool features IMO.

Like what?

DX 00
January 24th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I just installed VMware and was really impressed at how easy installation goes. I think its very intuitive and I didn't have a big speed change, specially since I'm running it on an older laptop machine. I haven't tried Parallel, but so far I really like VMware.

locutus42
January 24th, 2007, 02:08 AM
There's also VirtualBox out there and it was just released as a GPL'ed version. I've not tried it yet but it's done by a company called Innotek and they had access to the sourcecode for VirtualPC for a few years and know this buisness/product pretty well. They were the ones to enable VirtualPC to run as a host on OS/2 and allowed OS/2 clients. If anything, IMO, it means they know how to code.

There is Ubuntu( Dapper LTS and Edgy ) support and it's got builtin RDP support for remote interfacing to the client VM. Oh, there's USB over RDP that'll let those RDP clients plug in a USB device that the client VM loads and that's pretty cool.

Hopefully we hear more about this since it sounds like a good option. Anybody been down this road?

http://www.virtualbox.org

rexb
August 29th, 2008, 04:01 AM
VirtualBox - I should say that it is not bad (+1).

1. The performance is better comparing to VMWare Server.

2. Less features.

Twitch6000
August 29th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Virtual Box is my favorite and now since Sun Owns it I see great improvements soon.

SunnyRabbiera
August 29th, 2008, 04:45 AM
VMware out of the choices as it has more cross platform compatibility.

Atomic Dog
August 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I agree with yopnono. I ran parallels and it was a dog compared to vmware.

swoll1980
August 29th, 2008, 07:53 AM
VirtualBox blows them all away imo

Rhubarb
August 29th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Do you guys and gals realize that this thread is over a year old?
... Anyway, I do like virtualbox, it's quite nice.

Atomic Dog
August 29th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Do you guys and gals realize that this thread is over a year old?

Holy thread resurrection batman!