PDA

View Full Version : Computer market dead?

doobit
January 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
I noticed that tech stocks have been struggling lately. AMD says they are having a hard time because the computer market is soft. I'd say nearly dead. I follow the consumer market by watching auctions on ebay, which is a pretty good indicator. Computers and computer parts just aren't moving the way they were a year ago. I think people are sticking with what they have because it works good enough.
Anyone else feel the same way?

meng
January 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
The delay of Vista was supposed to dampen the home computing market. I'm not sure ebay is the best indicator of the market, but I accept it is AN indicator.

jvc26
January 23rd, 2007, 11:52 PM
As meng said, the Vista delay has put a dampener on the market as people wait for the Vista loaded PCs to come out - I have a feeling quite a lot of people will be waiting so they don't get what is going to become technically last season's OS (i.e. XP)
Il

macogw
January 24th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Buy the cheap XP comps while you can, it's not like you want Vista anyway, right? Just gonna delete that Microsoft crap anyway!

speedwell68
January 24th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I'm gonna be looking for a cheap XP laptop for my mother as soon as Vista launches, she has never used a PC before so won't have any MS installed bad habits, she is gonna have Ubuntu from day one.

RAV TUX
January 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Buy the cheap XP comps while you can, it's not like you want Vista anyway, right? Just gonna delete that Microsoft crap anyway!

agreed.....recycle, recycle, recycle

buy old Mac OS X or Windows based computers...strip the old OS's and load Linux...easy

makes perfect sense to me.

BWF89
January 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
As meng said, the Vista delay has put a dampener on the market as people wait for the Vista loaded PCs to come out - I have a feeling quite a lot of people will be waiting so they don't get what is going to become technically last season's OS (i.e. XP)
Il
If it wasn't for Window's bloat and inefficiency the computer market would probably be years behind where it is now. And Linux users who don't need all that hardware performance can wait a lot longer to upgrade or get new computers.

Skia_42
January 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM

buy old Mac OS X or Windows based computers...strip the old OS's and load Linux...easy

PPC computers tend to have less support and less available applications in linux. But you are right, recycling is happy.

doobit
January 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Some of the new ones being sold before Christmas had free Vista upgrades attached. But recycling may well be another reason for decline in new sales, as I mentioned (implied, really) in the first post.

bobbybobington
January 24th, 2007, 02:00 AM

Heck, you could get new relatively new computers for free, you just have to find the idiots who think broken Windows means broken hardware. :D

Phatfiddler
January 24th, 2007, 04:40 AM
^Thats where I got my last 4 computers from.

RAV TUX
January 24th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Heck, you could get new relatively new computers for free, you just have to find the idiots who think broken Windows means broken hardware. :D

http://craigslist.org/

Johnsie
January 24th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Computers break, people become more educated and need servers...... Computer will always sell as long as people need them to access the Internet. Maybe not in the same numbers as before but they will need to do it to access the Internet. Ever child who grows up needs a computer.

jimrz
January 24th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Ever child who grows up needs a computer.

so, too, do those of us that refuse to ;)