PDA

View Full Version : Iconbox or Window List?

jclmusic
January 23rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
what do you find easier to use?

an iconbox (such as that found in e16, e17, xfce, mac osx, etc)
or a window selector (such as that found in gnome, kde, windows, etc)

please give reasons.

i'm guaging public opinion for a distro i'm working on, and i'd like to know which the majority prefer.

Choad
January 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
i have only ever used a window selector. but then again a few years ago i had only ever used windows :rolleyes:

but still, i would have to say window selector

IYY
January 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
I like the double window list best. I think it's the default in KDE, but I use it mainly in XFCE and Win2000.

gaspar
January 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Window list, for sure. I only used iconbox once, and felt very confused with it...

MkfIbK7a
January 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
i love the icon box

you should also check out the bar from fvwm-crystal its pretty cool

jclmusic
January 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
i love the icon box

i love the icon box too. it's so stylish yet simple.

had to follow my own words and explain my vote! lol :p

Happy_Man
January 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm so sorry for exposing my complete newbieness... but I must ask:

What is an "iconbox"? Is it like the Dock in Mac OS X? Because if so, I'd have to say Window List (which i'm assuming is roughly similar to the Start Menu). Mainly because a tree interface helps me keep stuff organized. And it's a pain to keep adding files to the Dock.:)

macogw
January 24th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Yeah I'm with Happy_Man, what are you guys talking about? Given what someone said about KDE having two, do you mean like at the bottom on the taskbar where it shows all the open windows? If so, I disable that. I completely delete my bottom panel. I have no reason to have a thing showing which windows are open. I Alt+Tab through all the open windows. If all else fails. there's always the Expose-ish Beryl effects. My top panel has the Gnome menu, a few quick launch icons, notification area, clock, logout button, and volume control.

qalimas
January 24th, 2007, 12:51 AM
The double window list, a la default KDE.

jclmusic
January 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
bump!