PDA

View Full Version : System 76: Who's gonna buy a Darter?

Aetherius
January 23rd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Just a poll to satiate my curiosity and boredom.

But this does look sweet does it not.

For those of you who don't read planet ubuntu - Joey Stanford (http://joey.ubuntu-rocks.org/blog/2007/01/20/top-secret-unboxing-system76s-unannounced-laptop/) got a pre-release 'Darter' Laptop from System76.

# Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz 4MB 667FSB
# 1.5 GB DDR2 667 MHz
# 60 GB 7200 RPM
# Intel 802.11 a/b/g Wireless
# Bluetooth
# SD Card slot
# Intel 945GM

http://joey.ubuntu-rocks.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/00021.jpg

Click here for more pics and info (http://joey.ubuntu-rocks.org/blog/2007/01/20/top-secret-unboxing-system76s-unannounced-laptop/)

TrendyDark
January 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
I think we're all just a little too poor to get one, but would love to support System 76.

Aetherius
January 23rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
im poor, but i'm gonna find a way, credit card+debt here i come

prizrak
January 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Video sux, so does the Mac look.

ZylGadis
January 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Windows key on a preinstalled GNU/linux machine? Come on. This is like Ford sticking the Toyota symbol on the new Fusion just because Toyotas use internal combustion engines, too.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
Windows key on a preinstalled GNU/linux machine? Come on. This is like Ford sticking the Toyota symbol on the new Fusion just because Toyotas use internal combustion engines, too.
the keyboard's a trivial matter. I have right winkey set as 'compose' in GNOME.

This laptop suits all of my needs. I want.

ZylGadis
January 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
It is not a trivial matter at all. Sure, one/two more keys are useful, you can set them to shortcuts like you have done. That, however, is totally irrelevant with respect to what the keys look like. Why not have some other symbol there? Like a small gnu or penguin?
Again, look at the Ford example above.

Aetherius
January 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM

not really, your analogy is flawed. If they used the SAME internal combustion engine you might be abit closer to actually being able to apply that... also if the new fusion was actually built into a toyota chasis, then u'd be damn near a good anology. Unfortunately, its not and you're not.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
It is not a trivial matter at all. Sure, one/two more keys are useful, you can set them to shortcuts like you have done. That, however, is totally irrelevant with respect to what the keys look like. Why not have some other symbol there? Like a small gnu or penguin?
Again, look at the Ford example above.
Then pay up. Keyboards are commodity hardware, right down to the decals/markings/whatever on the keycaps.

Volumes for Linux-special keyboards are small, but the cost to tool-up for making keyboards with tux on the extended keys is the same; thus the per-unit cost of production goes up. If you're willing to pay an even greater premium on such a superficial piece of equipment, well, more power to you.

I read it as a net positive: Linux runs on machines that have winkeys.

ZylGadis
January 23rd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Well, to make it a bit more clear, I don't give a damn who actually makes the chassis. All I care for is that I am buying a Ford and it comes with a Toyota symbol. Wtf? And it's not like Microsoft make laptop chassises (or is it chasses?), either.
Anyway, I don't care much for this laptop, but to each his own.

Aetherius
January 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Ah, you have your opinion, but again its not like system 76 stuck the windows key on there. they buy their cases in just like they buy all the hardware. If anything this is just a poignant reminder of bug #1 (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1) when the majority of the worlds keyboards have a specific key for a proprietry OS.

EdThaSlayer
January 23rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Thats quite a sweet laptop. Now only if I hadn't bought a laptop 2 years ago I would get this one. Only 3 more years, then I probably would buy a System 76 computer.

Quillz
January 23rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
If I remember correctly, most keyboards nowadays just use clear stickers, meaning you could easily remove the Windows logo and replace it with your own.

That's a nice looking notebook computer, by the way. I never knew about System76 and their selling of pre-installed Linux. Perhaps in a few years, my next desktop or notebook will be from them.

raublekick
January 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
looks pretty sweet! i've never really considered a laptop that small, but who knows. i realized not too long ago that System76 prices had dropped quite a bit, and i think my next machine is coming from there.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
looks pretty sweet! i've never really considered a laptop that small, but who knows. i realized not too long ago that System76 prices had dropped quite a bit, and i think my next machine is coming from there.
this laptop is on the upper bound of what I'd consider usefully portable.

raublekick
January 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
this laptop is on the upper bound of what I'd consider usefully portable.

my friend has a sharp 10.1" laptop. this is what made me reconsider smaller laptops. my 17" is perfect for multimedia, but something smaller is good for portable work. he basically used his tiny, tiny machine to go around campus and test network connections. but the thing was so small that you could practically put it in your pocket.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
my friend has a sharp 10.1" laptop. this is what made me reconsider smaller laptops. my 17" is perfect for multimedia, but something smaller is good for portable work. he basically used his tiny, tiny machine to go around campus and test network connections. but the thing was so small that you could practically put it in your pocket.
there's no point in getting a huge laptop--you get more bang for your buck--and, incidentally, a better shot at Linux compatibility--if you go with a desktop.

For me, buying a laptop means carefully examining what the use of a laptop is. I used to lug a 4 kilo (8 lb!) laptop + powerbrick around campus, and that experience made me want something much smaller.

2 kg (4 lb) is probably the most I'd tolerate now--that gives me plenty of space left in my bag for books and other things.

Reasonable battery life is another consideration that I don't see many people thinking about. In an ideal world, I'd want a laptop that did a full 8 hour working day without charging.

As they always say on cycling newsgroups:

Fast. Cheap. Light. Sturdy.

Choose only three.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Video sux, so does the Mac look.
edifying comment. In defens of Intel video:

1) it has Free drivers that work.

2) Beryl/Compiz seem to work with it.

3) Why do you want hardcore video on a portable machine, anyway?

Do the rendering at home. Do the text editing on the train.

joflow
January 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Whats the price on those things. I want one if Beryl works on it.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Whats the price on those things. I want one if Beryl works on it.
TFBlogpost says the "base model will be under USD 1000"

Which leads me to estimate that the model-as-shipped is closer to USD 1200 or so.

joflow
January 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
TFBlogpost says the "base model will be under USD 1000"

Which leads me to estimate that the model-as-shipped is closer to USD 1200 or so.

Thats not too bad...comparable to a macbook. I guess it would be cheaper to go the Dell route and install your own...but it would be nice to just have a laptop that just works out of the box.

%hMa@?b<C
January 23rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
i might be able to convince my brother who is going to college next year to get one of those.

maniacmusician
January 23rd, 2007, 07:42 PM
edifying comment. In defens of Intel video:

1) it has Free drivers that work.

2) Beryl/Compiz seem to work with it.

3) Why do you want hardcore video on a portable machine, anyway?

Do the rendering at home. Do the text editing on the train.
that's not fair; lots of people like to have powerful laptops. It's just not your preference.

I'd like to be able to do anything no matter where I am, so good video capabilities are important to me.

This is a really nice laptop, just not for me. The small size could be a good thing for me, depending on what the native res for that screen is. But I need something a step up from the intel video chipsets (they're great though, especially for having open specs and a great price/performance ratio)

maniacmusician
January 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
oops

joflow
January 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
out of curiosity what do you do that requires nvidia/ati cards in linux...on a laptop none the less.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
out of curiosity what do you do that requires nvidia/ati cards in linux...on a laptop none the less.
World of Warcraft, I'll wager?

Pobega
January 23rd, 2007, 10:01 PM
I'd love to buy one of those, but I just spent all of my money on a Pangolin; Which I'm very happy with.

This laptop does look very nice, although I personally don't dig the bright white color.

Quillz
January 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
there's no point in getting a huge laptop--you get more bang for your buck--and, incidentally, a better shot at Linux compatibility--if you go with a desktop.

For me, buying a laptop means carefully examining what the use of a laptop is. I used to lug a 4 kilo (8 lb!) laptop + powerbrick around campus, and that experience made me want something much smaller.

2 kg (4 lb) is probably the most I'd tolerate now--that gives me plenty of space left in my bag for books and other things.

Reasonable battery life is another consideration that I don't see many people thinking about. In an ideal world, I'd want a laptop that did a full 8 hour working day without charging.

As they always say on cycling newsgroups:

Fast. Cheap. Light. Sturdy.

Choose only three.
In terms of Linux compatibility, it's been the complete opposite for me. My laptop has worked flawlessly with every distro I've put on it. With my desktop, Ubuntu is still the only one that works properly.

Rotarychainsaw
January 23rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'm considering buying one when it comes out. It is a hard sell for me though. I don't really need a laptop as of right now, and I guess this old p3 dell laptop I have around could run open office if I need to do some word processing on the go. Also, a macbook is an awfully sexy machine... yeah hard sell, but I <3 ubuntu and if I can get a laptop that suspends properly (unlike this dell lappy) and everything works right on it there is a good chance I'd buy it.

Aetherius
January 24th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Analysing the data provided by this poll....i could dare say that most ubuntu-ers are poor.

is there a significant link between the chosen colour* of ubuntu and the poverty of its plebians?

:lolflag:

*colour has a U in it, ok america?

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Analysing the data provided by this poll....i could dare say that most ubuntu-ers are poor.

is there a significant link between the chosen colour* of ubuntu and the poverty of its plebians?

explain that comment.

Aetherius
January 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM
its a joke..... brown as in dirt.... most ubuntu-ers being poor ..... dirt poor......

i'll admit not a very good joke

dbbolton
January 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM

word.

Quillz
January 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Actually, despite what I voted, I could easily afford that notebook computer. It's just that I recently bought a Dell notebook back in August, so it'll be a while before I need another one.

K.Mandla
January 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM
But this does look sweet does it not.
:shock: I think I'm in love. ...

ButteBlues
January 24th, 2007, 07:56 PM
word.
Color is simply a matter of opinion.

Aetherius
January 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Color is simply a matter of opinion.

I don't know about that.... I think its a matter of precedence, did we put in the U....or did you take it out?

DISCLAIMER: This is for amusement purposes only and I in know way intend to offend America

Brunellus
January 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I don't know about that.... I think its a matter of precedence, did we put in the U....or did you take it out?

DISCLAIMER: This is for amusement purposes only and I in know way intend to offend America
we are drifting VERY far off topic. The French inserted the U. The original Latin noun had no U.

Aetherius
January 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM
we are indeed, but then again we're in the cafe, if you can't drift here you can't drift anywhere :p

ButteBlues
January 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM
we are drifting VERY far off topic. The French inserted the U. The original Latin noun had no U.
Exactement! Blame the French! =D

;p

Aetherius
January 25th, 2007, 04:22 PM
bugger it, lets just all speak Irish

IS MAITH LIOM UBUNTU!

:D

(Phonetics: Iss My Lum oobuntu)

raublekick
January 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM
i am sitting here in the cyber cafe at school wishing my 17" inspiron was a Darter...

i think this Inspiron can last me a while as a nice workhorse machine. so, when i graduate and look for another laptop, i think i will definitely be considering the darter as a nice compliment to this hulk.

Zed
January 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM
So close... but the Fn key in the lower left corner to screw up my muscle-memory for ctrl sequences and the lack of DVI tank it for me.

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM
So close... but the Fn key in the lower left corner to screw up my muscle-memory for ctrl sequences and the lack of DVI tank it for me.
I've adapted remarkably well to my similarly laid out IBM 570E keyboard. The bigger gripe is that ESC is so small that it makes using vim a bit tedious. Maybe I'll remap CAPSLOCK to ESC. Maybe you could remap CAPSLOCK to CTRL.

loserboy
January 26th, 2007, 09:41 PM
ewww... intel

# Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz 4MB 667FSB
# 1.5 GB DDR2 667 MHz
# 60 GB 7200 RPM
# Intel 802.11 a/b/g Wireless
# Bluetooth
# SD Card slot
# Intel 945GM

actually I havn't played with any dual core inels yet so I guess i shouldnt say that

nalmeth
January 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Everyone badmouths the intel video cards..

They don't do high-end gaming, but for having free drivers, in an integrated card, they are pretty damn good.

I have an intel 915 integrated at home. Its alright, but not great. As a benchmark, nexuiz runs poorly on it.

At work I have an intel 945, same as this laptop. Beryl runs fantastically fast, Nexuiz runs great. I'm sure WoW runs great on it too. :roll:

Who needs high-end gaming on a small portable laptop? If it can run Nexuiz, a game seemingly not optimized for speed yet, I'll be damned if its not good enough for me.

loserboy
January 26th, 2007, 10:52 PM
actually i was talking about the cpu.
heck I can't insult integrated video cards....thats like making fun of integrated monitor speakers...

josys36
January 27th, 2007, 12:01 AM

They also run windows.

:)

Insomniac20k
January 27th, 2007, 12:15 AM
not really, your analogy is flawed. If they used the SAME internal combustion engine you might be abit closer to actually being able to apply that... also if the new fusion was actually built into a toyota chasis, then u'd be damn near a good anology. Unfortunately, its not and you're not.

I do believe Toyota uses Ford transmissions or something

loserboy
January 27th, 2007, 01:31 AM
maybe a new analogy?

something like "it's like ford sticking their badge on a RX-8 just because Ford essentially owns mazda"

mysticrider92
January 27th, 2007, 01:44 AM
That laptop actually looks pretty nice. I'm not crazy about intergrated graphics, but the other specs are very good if it is around $1000-$1300.