PDA

View Full Version : What is I Don't Have Internet Access?

gwm
January 23rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Hi,
I am trying to get up and running with Ubuntu. The way I understand Ubuntu, is that it is designed to be helpful to the disadvantaged communities in the third world. Down here in Southern Africa, we live in a third world country. Internet access is expensive!!!

In the spirit of Ubuntu, a CD or DVD with things like Alien, SSH, GIMP's help file etc on them would be much appreciated. For example, at our access speeds, GIMP help is a two hour download and we pay for our telephone calls by the second!! We don't have things like cable modems. Broadband is available, but costs between 10% and 20% of an office worker's wages each month. At this rate, one might as well buy Windows because it is cheaper than an Ubuntu CD plus all the phone bills.

Ubuntu's policy on open source means that the release is hamstrung by missing essentials that are way beyond the average non techie beginner. The result is a desktop version that doesn't have peer networking, so that printer can't be shared. To have a basic working environment thus requires various gymnastics like hours in the forums, trying to decode techie speak to discover what needs to be installed. This defeats the spirit of Ubuntu.

The average user installs Ubuntu, hasn't got internet, can't use what he has, doesn't know why, concludes that this new fangled thing is useless and cans the whole exercise. I've watched this happen with some pretty gifted youngsters I know. I realize that these extras would push the content beyond a CD's capacity. That is why I appeal for a second CD containing some of the other items and an install procedure that has a non internet option which installs from the second CD.
Edit/Delete Message

Insomniac20k
January 23rd, 2007, 08:30 AM
perhaps I will get flamed to death for suggesting this but

What about Fedora Core? You could purchase the DVD from one of those sites fairly cheap and it works rather well.

Although I installed Ubuntu just fine without an internet connection. Frequent updates are kinda just the way Linux is.

Dilox
January 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
My whole family is from South Africa and your full of **** no offense. We had broad band & we paid for phone calls by the minute. I don't know why your complaining.

If your really having so many problems get some one to mail you updates and stuff on a disk... Shouldn't be that hard.

Dylan

AlexC_
January 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
My whole family is from South Africa and your full of **** no offense. We had broad band & we paid for phone calls by the minute. I don't know why your complaining.

If your really having so many problems get some one to mail you updates and stuff on a disk... Shouldn't be that hard.

Dylan

Erm, South Africa is pretty big so some parts may be just like he described.

perhaps I will get flamed to death for suggesting this but
Nah, we'll just feed you to the lions. :D

But yeah, Fedora Core 6 would be a good option, especially the DVD version. Should have everything you need.

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Erm, South Africa is pretty big so some parts may be just like he described.

It's not that big, about twice the size of the state of Texas. The OP is laying it on very thick and exaggerating to say the least.

It's not classified as a third world country either although some parts might be considered third world.

10-20% of an office workers pay is all relative to what you earn, it could be more it could be less

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 12:14 PM
https://ubuntuplus.bountysource.com/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=145889
http://cargol.net/~ramon/ubuntu-dvd-en This will suite the OP well if he has a DVD rom

Sammi
January 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
You can buy Ubuntu DVD's right here: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu

macogw
January 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
You can buy Ubuntu DVD's right here: http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu
That's just the different install methods, it doesn't have the repos. Ubuntuguide.org has DVD isos for the full repos though. If you get someone to download/burn/send them, you've got all the repos you need on a few discs.

manmower
January 24th, 2007, 07:20 PM
It's not that big, about twice the size of the state of Texas. The OP is laying it on very thick and exaggerating to say the least.

It's not classified as a third world country either although some parts might be considered third world.

10-20% of an office workers pay is all relative to what you earn, it could be more it could be less

But are we sure that by "Southern Africa" the OP meant the country of South Africa?

gwm
February 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Hi,
Thanks for all the feedback. I honestly didn't expect this post to be so emotive.
The responses from Sammi, Macogw, manmower and mips show that what I'm asking for has already been invented. Thanks very much to all and I'll definitely be looking into those options.
Insomniac: Thanks - I haven't seen any DVDs for sale but then again, I haven't been looking. The other postings even tell me where to look. It would be good to have some on hand, to help those to whom I've given my extra copies of Ubuntu. I also installed Ubuntu just fine but as released, Totem plays hardly anything and Ubuntu PCs can't network with one another.
Dilox: When queen Marie Antoinette was told that the people needed bread to eat, she reportedly replied that they should eat cake. I've been bumping my head trying to install on old second hand PCs where telephone access is out of the question. As I understand the word Ubuntu these are the ones that Ubuntu Lnux release mechanisms would want to be helping.
mips: Nyabonga Bhuti. Thanks for the site references, I'll be checking them out. You may feel I'm exaggerating. Proud South Africans don't like to think of theirs as being a third world country. That's a matter of opinion. However, in the municipality where I work, a grade 12 typist / clerk earns between R8000 and R9000 pm before tax. That works out to just over $1000 pm in direct conversion. A broad band connection costs around $100 pm. Hence my statement of 10% - 20% of an average office worker's pay. On the other end of the scale, a government pension is between $100 and $200 pm and often whole families depend on Grandma's pension for their livelihood. My daughter matriculated with six distinctions and later graduated as one of the top students from a local secretarial college. Her fist job as a temporary switch board operator earned her $10 per day. She was only too glad to have a job at all. South Africa is a wealthy African country. What about Mocambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Angola, Ivory Coast, Chad, Malawi, Botswana ....
Thank you all for your feedback.
gwm