PDA

View Full Version : get that damn thing away from me!!!

fuscia
January 23rd, 2007, 06:21 AM
are you a cell phoner, or not?

that last thing i want is some chump getting a hold of me, anytime he wants. get that iphone and your little iworld the if*** away from me!
:lolflag:

Mateo
January 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
took a time machine from 1950, I see.

You can always turn your cell phone or just not answer it.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 06:34 AM

No, they're an abomination and the death of civilized public behavior...to say nothing of competent driving.

On the other hand, overheardinnewyork.com would a much poorer site without them.

macogw
January 23rd, 2007, 06:38 AM
yeah i use one, what's funnier is crackberries. they get annoying though and call my boyfriend away mid-date for servers that go down spontaneously (he gets emails on it every 5 minutes if one of his servers goes down) or if there's some emergency reason to reverse engineer something.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
The trick is making others do it.

Particularly those cursed persons with Blueteeth on their ears, who now fulfill the former roles of ambulatory schizophrenics -- walking around in agitated states, waving their arms and ranting to people who aren't there.

It's a beautiful world.

Henry Rayker
January 23rd, 2007, 06:44 AM
I like cell phones, but not for talking... I just like text messages.

MkfIbK7a
January 23rd, 2007, 06:44 AM
The trick is making others do it.

Particularly those cursed persons with Blueteeth on their ears, who now fulfill the former roles of ambulatory schizophrenics -- walking around in agitated states, waving their arms and ranting to people who aren't there.

It's a beautiful world.

:lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag:

hahaha

they do look like schizophrenics!

http://www.emoticonland.net/images/Lol/TFR3CB.gif

Mateo
January 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
You know, a lot of the complaint about people using cell phones in public places is unwarranted. Now, I'm not saying there aren't annoying cell phone users, but by in large I think people get annoyed over nothing.

If you just imagine that the person is talking to another person who is standing right in front of them, it wouldn't bother you. But some people have a tendancy to talk louder on the cell phone than they do in "real life". That's a problem of them not having their volume up loud enough, I imagine.

I only think it's rude to talk on a cell phone if you are louder than in normal conversation.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM
But some people have a tendancy to talk louder on the cell phone than they do in "real life". That's a problem of them not having their volume up loud enough, I imagine.
No, it's a problem with them being moronic gristleheads.

And it's not just "some people" -- it's the majority of people on these things.

I was trying to eat lunch in a restaurant the other day and the place is half filled with these cretins BELLOWING so loudly that you could hear their converstations anywhere on the floor. Nobody was making that much noise speaking with their fellow diners, only the phone-pests.

Same thing in the supermarket today with these dimwit mommies braying about nothing with each other, demonstratively windmilling their arms and gesturing like lunatics.

These people are just idiots. They don't act that way when they're with other people, only when they're on the phone, apparently thinking they're invisible and inaudible.

kuja
January 23rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
Ewwwww, cell phones :( Keep them away!
The last thing I need is to have people bugging me on a phone more than I already have to put up with when I'm sitting at home ...

MkfIbK7a
January 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
No, it's a problem with them being moronic gristleheads.

And it's not just "some people" -- it's the majority of people on these things.

I was trying to eat lunch in a restaurant the other day and the place is half filled with these cretins BELLOWING so loudly that you could hear their converstations anywhere on the floor. Nobody was making that much noise speaking with their fellow diners, only the phone-pests.

Same thing in the supermarket today with these dimwit mommies braying about nothing with each other, demonstratively windmilling their arms and gesturing like lunatics.

These people are just idiots. They don't act that way when they're with other people, only when they're on the phone, apparently thinking they're invisible and inaudible.

dont get me wrong i hate cell phones and dont personally have one but
you are implying that the majority of the population of america are morons:lolflag:

Titus A Duxass
January 23rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately for me it's an necessary evil. But it gets switched off at weekend.

On my last trip to Turin I watched a guy (Italian) eating his cornflakes whilst talking on his mobile, then to cap it all there was a guy was taking a pee (in the toilet) whilst talking!

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
you are implying that the majority of the population of america are morons
That's a separate thread.

steven8
January 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Both of my phones are attached to the wall with cords. I have no cell phones, and don't want any.

steven8
January 23rd, 2007, 08:08 AM

Don't forget
gristleheads. I like that one. :-)

JeevesBond
January 23rd, 2007, 08:13 AM
I'm no US fanboy, much the opposite, but aren't the majority of the worlds population morons?

How else would Microsoft get +90% market share?! Arf, arf! Sorry, couldn't resist it. :rolleyes:

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
aren't the majority of the worlds population morons?
That's another thread still.

Dilox
January 23rd, 2007, 08:44 AM
I had a mobile for 4 years until (late) last year i got rid of it.

Dylan

azkehmm
January 23rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Well... I have a cellphone. I bought it primarily because it was the cheapest solution for me to check out who called me, before I answered. After I moved away from home, i've never been so happy with it before. 9 ot of 10 times the diplay says "mom" I can just ignore it :)

Aetherius
January 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
I can honestly say i need my phone.

Its my phone ( mostly texts but a few calls)
Its my camera (3.2MP)
Its my email client (GMail + 2 IMAP servers)
Its my portable internet (3G + Opera :) )
Its my bluetooth remote for MythTV
Its my bluetooth SNES controller for ZSNES
Its my alarm clock
Its my calendar
And its a really snazzy looking paperweight too.

RandomJoe
January 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Ugh, I hate them! But they sure are convenient... Classic case of love-hate relationship, I guess!

While I too dislike the unthinking, LOUD yappers (I actually tend to get quieter when on the phone, I guess because I understand how the things work) most of my dislike is the instant accessibility. I don't own one myself, I just have one provided by work. We got on just fine the first few years I worked there with a pager - page me, I'll call back when I have a chance to get to a phone. But now everyone expects me to be at their beck and call. Well -- they did... I just don't answer the thing most of the time, and if they don't leave a message they probably won't get a return call!

The other thing that really grates my nerves also happens with landline phones as well - why is it when most people are in a face-to-face meeting, if their phone rings they are compelled to answer the thing? I find it rude, and broke myself of the habit (yes, I used to do so as well) and my coworkers have noticed. A few of them are starting to leave the phone unanswered too. Things get resolved a lot more quickly if you can stay on-task rather than heading off down whatever path the random callers might have every five minutes...

Yeah, it might be an important call. If it is, they can either hit 0 to get someone else in the office (for the landline) or call right back (if certain people do this to me, I *know* it's important) on the cell phone.

Aetherius
January 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
i like your point about calls interrupting. I believe that telephone ettiquette should be inline with that of face-to-face conversation, you can't just butt in and start speaking, well some people do...... :mad:, I often let my phone ring out in preference of what I'm doing, or who I'm talking to. Plus side of mobiles, I can make that judgement call knowing who it is thats interrupting me :D

xyz
January 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Doesn't bother me much because I get so few calls...eveyone I know is broke including myself!
I like SMS though and I can send dozens and dozens of them for free via Internet.

bonzodog
January 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Well, I need a mobile phone for work more than anything, as I am a Van driver by trade, and need to be able to talk to my office or boss, who also spends great amounts of time on the road.

Also, it means my wife can contact me if she needs to.

She has a mobile as she has a lot of friends in England that sends SMS messages to. She is one of those fast SMS messagers, and can do about 25 WPM, on a phone keypad for SMS. She cannot type properly though on a standard keyboard (Is one fingered!), and I often have to help her with simple things on this computer.
I Use the O2 Network, by the way.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
it's on me at all time. Nobody calls me anyway. I'm going to go and cry now.

fuscia
January 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM

1956, in fact. president eisenhower, himself, sent me.

if i had a razor, i could skip it across a pond. it's the expectation of being able to be reached that is the problem - "if you're going to play golf all day, leave your cellphone on so i can reach you if i need something." uh...no!

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
1956, in fact. president eisenhower, himself, sent me.

if i had a razor, i could skip it across a pond. it's the expectation of being able to be reached that is the problem - "if you're going to play golf all day, leave your cellphone on so i can reach you if i need something." uh...no!
I live with it. It is possible for me to run, but it's easier for me to stay connected.

At work, we have some clients who don't have e-mail and insist that all correspondence be either snailmail or facsimile. You have NO idea how irritating it is--they represent a bottleneck as far as processing goes.

EdThaSlayer
January 23rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
I had a cell phone and then lost it.
Now I'm happier than ever. No calls every 2 seconds.

ZylGadis
January 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Very few people actually know that cell phones cannot be turned off by the user (unless perhaps you take the battery out, I'm not sure). The providers track people by fixing the cell their cell phone is at - usually at 4a.m. to be almost sure they are sleeping - and other companies may use that information. I know a woman whose job is to track people whose cars have to be collected (usually due to not paying loans). The major source of information she uses is that provided by the cell providers; she then matches the cell with the exact address of the person, the person's girl/boyfriend, parents, or whatever else there is in the register.
It is really scary how she talks about that. "Think you have privacy? Think again."
Perhaps someone can google on that and provide links; I just thought I could share that bit of information.
Needless to say, I don't use a cell phone.

Edit: I found an interesting link. The situation turns out to be even scarier than what I depicted.
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/12/can_you_hear_me.html

Sunflower1970
January 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM
I thought I was the only one out there without a cellphone... Glad to see there are others out there too!

Can't stand 'em. My home phone is connected to the wall. My husband has a company one, though, and only uses it from 8am to 5pm M-F. Gets turned off, and never used on the weekends. (at least we don't have to pay for it lol)

It really seems to me, the more cell phones there are, the ruder the public. I've seen families, or even two people out to dinner, and one of them spends the entire meal on a cellphone, ignoring the family/other person. Almost been side swiped by I don't know how many people on cellphones in my car...movie theatres, while the movie is running, people talking on their phone, or in a live theatre situation too. Best one yet was I was standing in line at the post office a few years ago, and was right behind a woman who was talking loudly about the affair she was having with a man whose wife had a terminal disease of some sort, and she was trying to figure out how to get him to leave the wife so they could be together...This man was having second thoughts about leaving his terminally ill wife. The entire post office was digusted with her (by the looks everyone was giving each other and the dirty looks people were giving this woman). A few days later after that bout, I had to go back to the post office, and they now had a sign up asking that people stay OFF their cellphones. I was highly amused by that.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
I tend to prefer the person I'm dining with to the person who called me.

One disadvantage of flipphones, I've found, is that it's a lot harder to kill calls surrepetitiously. At dinner, that leads to some interesting interruptions.

"Who was that"?

"well.."

Koori23
January 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
I tend to prefer the person I'm dining with to the person who called me.

One disadvantage of flipphones, I've found, is that it's a lot harder to kill calls surrepetitiously. At dinner, that leads to some interesting interruptions.

"Who was that"?

"well.."

I have some sort of samsung flip phone.. If my phone is ringing in my pocket, I just reach in and hit the volume button on the side of the phone. That kills the ringer.

have no idea how it works on other models.

insane_alien
January 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
i have a mobile phone but if i'm at a restaurant or something it gets turned off. if i put a tenner(£10) on it, it'll last me for over a month. its only really there incase i crash the car on the backroads and get too horribly mangled to walk to the nearest village.

public_void
January 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
It really seems to me, the more cell phones there are, the ruder the public. I've seen families, or even two people out to dinner, and one of them spends the entire meal on a cellphone, ignoring the family/other person. Almost been side swiped by I don't know how many people on cellphones in my car...movie theatres, while the movie is running, people talking on their phone, or in a live theatre situation too. Best one yet was I was standing in line at the post office a few years ago, and was right behind a woman who was talking loudly about the affair she was having with a man whose wife had a terminal disease of some sort, and she was trying to figure out how to get him to leave the wife so they could be together...This man was having second thoughts about leaving his terminally ill wife. The entire post office was digusted with her (by the looks everyone was giving each other and the dirty looks people were giving this woman). A few days later after that bout, I had to go back to the post office, and they now had a sign up asking that people stay OFF their cellphones. I was highly amused by that.

LOL. Shows people are actively listening to the one sided conversation. Surprising how much you can find out really. But people talking loudly on a mobile phone is really annoying. Reminds me the Trigger Happy TV(a show in the UK) sketch with a cellphone going off (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8380544653971017211&q=trigger+happy+TV).

Sunflower1970
January 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
LOL. Shows people are actively listening to the one sided conversation. Surprising how much you can find out really. But people talking loudly on a mobile phone is really annoying. Reminds me the Trigger Happy TV(a show in the UK) sketch with a cellphone going off (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8380544653971017211&q=trigger+happy+TV).

:lolflag: That was a great vid! That's about how loud that woman was at the post office. Very hard to ignore...even if you tried

doobit
January 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
You know, a lot of the complaint about people using cell phones in public places is unwarranted. Now, I'm not saying there aren't annoying cell phone users, but by in large I think people get annoyed over nothing.

If you just imagine that the person is talking to another person who is standing right in front of them, it wouldn't bother you. But some people have a tendancy to talk louder on the cell phone than they do in "real life". That's a problem of them not having their volume up loud enough, I imagine.

I only think it's rude to talk on a cell phone if you are louder than in normal conversation.

They also tend to talk about very personal things, which I usually would rather not hear.

Hendrixski
January 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
It's good to see that others feel the way I do about cell phones. F***ing evil cell phones.

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
It's good to see that others feel the way I do about cell phones. F***ing evil cell phones.
please watch your asterisks.

dannyboy79
January 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM

that last thing i want is some chump getting a hold of me, anytime he wants. get that iphone and your little iworld the if*** away from me!

i am a cell phoner, and with them people's live are saved in every imaginable situation possible. without them, people would merely die and wouldn't be found for who know's how long! Also, the new iPhone by Apply Inc is AWESOME!!!!

phossal
January 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM

LMAO!

phossal
January 23rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
if i had a razor, i could skip it across a pond.

lmao 2x in one day. That's phenomenal. I feel better. The odds are good you're a touch antisocial, but I am too. Count me among the few who would rather not be reached. lol

On the other hand, in times of trouble, thank God for those who can be.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
They also tend to talk about very personal things, which I usually would rather not hear.
That seems to supply much of the action on overheardinnewyork.com's one-liners. ;)

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
I know a woman whose job is to track people whose cars have to be collected (usually due to not paying loans). The major source of information she uses is that provided by the cell providers; she then matches the cell with the exact address of the person, the person's girl/boyfriend, parents, or whatever else there is in the register.
It is really scary how she talks about that.
If you ever run across a link that describes this process, I'd be grateful for it.

Is this in the US?

fuscia
January 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
On the other hand, in times of trouble, thank God for those who can be.

i'm happy for those who have needed them and think they can be a goody safety tool (though, i do prefer a flare gun). i just don't think people need to be saved on line in a grocery store, or in the middle of my backswing.

phossal
January 23rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
i'm happy for those who have needed them and think they can be a goody safety tool (though, i do prefer a flare gun). i just don't think people need to be saved on line in a grocery store, or in the middle of my backswing.

You must not do any insider trading. Or have a family (that you like). :D

fuscia
January 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
You must not do any insider trading. Or have a family (that you like). :D

no insider trading for me and i suspect families probably liked each other better before cellphones.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
i'm happy for those who have needed them and think they can be a goody safety tool (though, i do prefer a flare gun).

I agree; a properly aimed flare gun tends to dissuade massed attackers in a more immediate way than a brandished Nokia ever could.

MkfIbK7a
January 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
I agree; a properly aimed flare gun tends to dissuade massed attackers in a more immediate way that a brandished Nokia ever could.

id use a razor:wink:

Quillz
January 23rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
I use a cell phone, but generally just as a "phone" when I need to. I don't really browse the Web or play games or anything.

Drezliok
January 23rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
I love having my Cell phone. But I bleieve there are some rules to follow to having one.

Movies, Hospitals, and anywhere is quite.Turn the damned thing off.

If in a conversation and your phone rings leave the room and take it. Apologize for having to leave abruptly.

NEVER yell at people that you are on the phone.

There are so many more.

But those blue tooth head sets annoy me, You can't tell who they are talking to and when you "butt in" they think I am being rude.

macogw
January 23rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
See now, I bet you'd all think I talk REALLY LOUD on the phone. Everyone thinks my mom does. That just means you don't know me off the phone. I'm very very loud (almost shouting, I guess) all the time. I have no "indoor voice"!! MUAHAHAHAHA! I can't even whisper quietly. It's about the volume of normal speech. I also speak really FAST so I probably sound like a chipmunk. But yeah, I tend to project, even when I'm speaking face to face with one or two people, as if I was giving a speech in a Forensics competition, and it probably carries over to my phone conversations. I keep it on vibrate all the time, though, and I tell it to "ignore" if I'm in line, in class, in a movie, or in a (real, not Burger King) restaurant.

RAV TUX
January 24th, 2007, 12:25 AM

I only think it's rude to talk on a cell phone if you are louder than in normal conversation.I would like a portable cell phone scrambler...that would disable all cell phones within a one block radius around me.

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I would like a portable cell phone scrambler...that would disable all cell phones within a one block radius around me.
I'm pretty sure the FCC would want a word with you.

ComplexNumber
January 24th, 2007, 12:37 AM

no, i certainly am not! i switch my phone to vibrate whenever i'm on public transport, a library, a friend's house, at work, or anywhere else that a phone going off with me yacking down the line may annoy others.
it annoys me when others are irresponsible with their phone, so i wouldn't inflict the same on someone else.

macogw
January 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty sure the FCC would want a word with you.

Phone jammers are only illegal in some states, I think.

Brunellus
January 24th, 2007, 12:41 AM
The airwaves are exclusively a Federal jurisdiction, as I recall.

BWF89
January 24th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Where I live I'm in the (I estimate) 1% of high schoolers that don't have a cellphone.

Frankly I don't want one either. I don't like the idea of wherever I go my parents being able to call and ask where I am, what I'm doing, and who I'm doing it with. As soon as I've left visual distance of my house I'm free to do whatever I want.

And since all my friends have cellphones if I want to call someone I just bring along my list of friends phone numbers and use theirs to call.

RAV TUX
January 24th, 2007, 01:26 AM

Which states?...I have read about Movie Theaters and Restaurants using them...I work in a high-security building where the UN holds meetings regularly and often times they block Cell phones....sometimes I have to walk a block away to get reception.