PDA

View Full Version : Human MySpace?

Jason.TJ.Johnson
January 23rd, 2007, 04:38 AM
Not really sure where to post this, please move if I have it in the wrong spot.

Anyway, to not get off topic, I was wondering if anyone had a theme or can make an unofficial "human linux" them to have myspace pages look like Ubuntu.

I think it would be a nice way to represent Ubuntu while showing your love, you know?

I'm thinking about having a huge custom ubuntu carpet made, lol...

IYY
January 23rd, 2007, 05:36 AM
I think most of the users on these forums want MySpace to die a quick yet painful death, so even representing Ubuntu on it would be a sin.

FuturePilot
January 23rd, 2007, 05:42 AM
I think most of the users on these forums want MySpace to die a quick yet painful death, so even representing Ubuntu on it would be a sin.
I'm still sort of new here, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm just curious, why is that?

Atomic Dog
January 23rd, 2007, 05:46 AM

I have never been to myspace. I'm making it a life goal to never visit that site. I also plan on never watching American Idol, never owning a Ford, never waterskii, and never eat chocolate covered ants.

Henry Rayker
January 23rd, 2007, 05:47 AM
I'm still sort of new here, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm just curious, why is that?

I'd imagine some of it has to do with the fact that it's so....commercial. That, and people have some REALLY horrible looking pages...I've seen things on myspace that make me wish I were blind.

FuturePilot
January 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
Ah, I see. And yes there are some horrible looking pages there.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Well, let's just say that I thought the subject title was a contradiction in terms.

MkfIbK7a
January 23rd, 2007, 06:14 AM
dont get me started on myspace...

v8YKxgHe
January 23rd, 2007, 09:11 AM
MySpace .................................................. .................. :lolflag:

rolando2424
January 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
I have never been to myspace. I'm making it a life goal to never visit that site.

It's you and me... Oh, and put Hi5 and Facebox in the package while your at it.

God I hate when my friends spend their computer class looking in Hi5... "You have 20 new friends request" and I'm like... "Hum... If you want friends, just make them personally."

But the worse thing is that they think their l33t because they have an Glowing-Blinking-Strong-Pink Background in Myspace (or was it Hi5? They all look the same to me :D).

But if I talk about anything more complicated them MSN (some of them manage to use Emule... I think that something can be done with them).

One time, I had a friend try IRC to talk to me (Even though I use Gaim, I'm rarely online there...)

The next day, we come to me saying that we didn't know how to work with that because he didn't know how to send an Nuggle (or an Wink, I don't really know the name, is that thing where window trembles or something) and that he also didn't knew how to send one of those "full-screen" animation or Smiles...

That moment I realise that there is no hope for human race... But they still thing their are "tEh Ul|T@m@t3 1331..."

You should have seen there faces when I show them some AIGLX Videos (I don't usually use AIGLX, but that was my fisrt idea).

I think their brains would have exploded, if it wasn't for the fact that that's anatomically impossible (I think...).

Well, I have an CTRL+ALT+DEL strip comic that show that.

You can read it here (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20021127.jpg/)

Now, why I would I like MySpace (hum... the MySpace subject got a little lost in there).

sloggerkhan
January 23rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I am sure that most myspace pages can be clinically proven to cause seizures.

FurryNemesis
January 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
I got my online soapbox before myspace entered the public consciousness over here - three years later and I'm still very happy with it. There's the occasional idiot and the odd rant-y thirteen - year - old but I'm part of a small community now and I like it that way.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
I am sure that most myspace pages can be clinically proven to cause seizures.
They are so visually disorienting through sheer ugliness and incompetent layout that you may have a legitimate point.

Never mind their gross inanity, vulgarity and banality causing clinical depression in sensitive persons. :frown:

azkehmm
January 23rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
I've never been to myspace, but this thread made me curious... I'll go take a look. If I'm not back in a week, tell tiny Tim i won't be home for christmas :)

Edit: Ok I'm back, and I must say that was most horrible. Static backgrounds, pink text and 100 pages of teenagers with an extremely unhealthy need for self-exposure! The horror!

jclmusic
January 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
myspace went down the drain when it got bought by rupert murdoch and his band of corporate arseholes.

Dokatz
January 23rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Simple reason I dislike MySpace...

The De-Humanization of 'Friendships' and 'Relationships' is always a bad thing. I don't want to manage my friends in a little cluster, I don't wanna check out pics and read journals/blogs, Watch videos....And I don't understand why someone would want to.

All the human contact in the world is out there, and it's free...And even FASTER than the Internet if you try hard enough. Strangers are friends you haven't talked to yet.

I don't see how any argument FOR myspace could possibly stand up to a cup of coffee with someone new. Someone real, Someone three-dimensional.

Theres a dynamic lost through the Internet, The human spirit that can't be expressed quite as beautifully. Yeah we're talking to each other...But the ways in which we communicate are filtered over and over.

I prefer my humans in lossless format.

delfick
January 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
never been to myspace myself....

i say someone start a poll so we can really discover how much *ubuntu users* dislike myspace :D
(or don't care :D, like me :D)

weatherman
January 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
ok, this probably isn't the right place to look for myspace fans, but if people there start using ubuntu themes and logos given the popularity of the site it probably wouldn't be a bad thing would it?

Dokatz
January 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
ok, this probably isn't the right place to look for myspace fans, but if people there start using ubuntu themes and logos given the popularity of the site it probably wouldn't be a bad thing would it?

I think the more people are aware of linux and the reality of it the better, Fine. Sorry for my tangent; The original point is a good one. I hate MySpace but if we could get traffic and intrest from it, That's super. As a matter of fact makes one of those silly groups for ubuntu'ers...If there isn't one already.

weatherman
January 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
ok, does anybody know how do you put together a myspace theme? Personally I've been to the site today for the first time. What do they support? html, css, php? :rolleyes:

rolando2424
January 23rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
I think the more people are aware of linux and the reality of it the better, Fine. Sorry for my tangent; The original point is a good one. I hate MySpace but if we could get traffic and intrest from it, That's super. As a matter of fact makes one of those silly groups for ubuntu'ers...If there isn't one already.

Hum... I don't know, I have a bad feeling about this...

Brunellus
January 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
I have a myspace page (as yet another means of keeping up my minimal contacts). I hate Myspace.

Why?

1) The site is poorly-designed. It actually my eyes hurt. The whole page design is intended to make it as easy as possible to click on the huge, intrusive advertising while making it as hard as possible to navigate YOUR space quickly.

2) The site is remarkably flaky. Windows users might be OK with "unexpected error," but I'd at least like to know what part of the site is down and for how long.

3) It makes a complete mockery of FOAF networking. If everyone is instantly friends with Tom, that gives everyone on myspace a "Tom Number" of 1. It makes it easy to connect people, yes, but it makes connections essentially meaningless. This is to say nothing of the ridiculous strain it must put on the database servers (see No. 2, above).

4) Myspace message spam, O bane of my existence.

The service does have a few redeeming features.

One of the main reasons I maintain my myspace is that it's a good way for me to keep up with a bunch of local bands--I use myspace as a kind of gig aggregator. The downside, of course, is that since 2002 or so, Myspace has pretty much killed bands' non-myspace internet presences, which means I have to wade through the muck of the rest of the mysapce "user experience" to use the service in this way.

My contempt for a large swath of the Myspace *userbase,* however, might best be summed up by the Myspace Stupid Haircut Awards (http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2004/04/first-annual-myspace-stupid-haircut.html)

jclmusic
January 23rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
2) The site is remarkably flaky. Windows users might be OK with "unexpected error," but I'd at least like to know what part of the site is down and for how long. [/url]

it's down so much because they use a windows server.

jamescooper
January 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM
4) Myspace message spam, O bane of my existence.

So thus explains the rise of myspace phishing (http://www.profilepitstop.com/articles/myspace/identity-theft-and-myspace-phishing.php).

DarkN00b
January 25th, 2007, 07:18 AM
My wife has a MySpace page to keep in contact with her family. It looks ok but some of the pages I have seen just hurt to look at. I would hate to see Ubuntu on MySpace.

@ FurryNemesis -- I like the avatar. Jeremy and the TF-Gun! I too am a fan of El Goonish Shive (http://www.elgoonishshive.com/index.html). One of the funniest (and just plain weirdest) comics I have ever read. :D 8-[

riven0
January 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I've been to myspace once before... it was enough to last me a lifetime.

Sheesh! Is it impossible to make one decent looking webpage on that site?

Bezmotivnik
January 26th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Is it impossible to make one decent looking webpage on that site?
There have been numerous submissions to Digg on how to hack MySpace pages to make them acceptably unhideous -- and apparently they work, though they'll kick you off if you clean up the template too much.

Never forget, you're in an adversarial relationship with these sites.

I have found that the MySpace sites maintained by corporate entities, signed bands, etc., etc. often look pretty good, so I suspect they've bought their way out of the usual TOS limitations on what you can do with your free site in terms of design, then had a real web designer do their pages.

Of course, if you're some hopeless idiot -- and 90%+ of the MySpace users clearly are, by my standards -- then nothing's going to be of much help to you.

nynoah
January 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM
While Myspace may have a HUGE problem with bad layout, programing and page design, you all sound like my grand father with his excuses of why he hates a computer. Myspace is a tool and a tool can be used for good or for gaudy crap. I personally think it is a good thing. I have been able to find friends that I have lost track of. Friends that are half way around the world. I thank myspace for doing that for me. People who complain about it just don't get it. But then again we hear the same arguments every time there is something new. All myspace is, is over glorified email with pictures......Only thing that sucks about it is most all of you did not think of it first and create it. Myspace has been a gift from god for aspiring unheard of bands. I know I have found TONS of music that I love through it.

Does myspace have problems......SURE, but so does Ubunto.

In the end myspace like any other computer program or site is a tool. Like a hammer, a hammer can be used to build a house or kill a man. It depends on how you use it.

Get off your high horse

katabatic
January 26th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Agreed.

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM
While Myspace may have a HUGE problem with bad layout, programing and page design, you all sound like my grand father with his excuses of why he hates a computer. Myspace is a tool and a tool can be used for good or for gaudy crap. I personally think it is a good thing. I have been able to find friends that I have lost track of. Friends that are half way around the world. I thank myspace for doing that for me. People who complain about it just don't get it. But then again we hear the same arguments every time there is something new. All myspace is, is over glorified email with pictures......Only thing that sucks about it is most all of you did not think of it first and create it. Myspace has been a gift from god for aspiring unheard of bands. I know I have found TONS of music that I love through it.

Does myspace have problems......SURE, but so does Ubunto.

In the end myspace like any other computer program or site is a tool. Like a hammer, a hammer can be used to build a house or kill a man. It depends on how you use it.

Get off your high horse
I keep myspace up to keep in touch with my local bands. I am somewhat distressed that Myspace has also meant the death of real websites for bands. They're moving to myspace-only presences, which I'm not a fan of.

Just beacuse I use it doesn't mean I have to revere it as a gift from God.

nynoah
January 26th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Maybe I should restate that. Don't interpret my statement it as reverence for the site. I hate the format and layout too. Plus their search engine sucks balls.....There are TONS of problems with the site. What is needed is for someone to come up with a competing site that is better. Or for them to actually put some time into fixing myspace. But then again maybe the site is so screwed up because the codes was bad from day one. Like how windows is a hopeless mess of code.

You can hate myspace, but have a better reason than what some have brought up.

Like I said before, it has put me back in touch with people that I wish I had never lost track of. So that is a big + to me.

N

bionnaki
January 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM
myspace can bring people together
myspace can dehumanize life.
myspace is neutral - it's what you do with it that matters.

wersdaluv
January 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I guess, it's better to spend all the time you plan to spend on myspace on browsing the UbuntuForums. :)

Brunellus
January 26th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I guess, it's better to spend all the time you plan to spend on myspace on browsing the UbuntuForums. :)
you're likely to learn more that way, and have a good chance to help people as well.

Jason.TJ.Johnson
March 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I'll take that as a no...

Sorry, I just thought it'd be a good idea.