PDA

View Full Version : When will Ubuntu come with Beryl preinstalled?

roxics
January 21st, 2007, 12:18 AM
So when will Ubuntu come with Beryl preinstalled? I'm waiting for it. I don't want to try and install it myself.

QuinnStorm
January 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Just a quick comment. Ubuntu is unlikely to become the "official beryl distro" merely because ubuntu is such a large project, and instead of them shifting to meet beryl's needs, beryl shifts to meet their needs, as is true with most large distributions. Sabayon is a small distribution and thus can have a narrow focus, such as being the official beryl distro. This is not at all a revocation of support for Ubuntu. I still use Ubuntu wherever I can, and am a great supporter of the philosophy and goals.

matthew
January 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Just a quick comment. Ubuntu is unlikely to become the "official beryl distro" merely because ubuntu is such a large project, and instead of them shifting to meet beryl's needs, beryl shifts to meet their needs, as is true with most large distributions. Sabayon is a small distribution and thus can have a narrow focus, such as being the official beryl distro. This is not at all a revocation of support for Ubuntu. I still use Ubuntu wherever I can, and am a great supporter of the philosophy and goals.That totally makes sense.

Offtopic: glad to have you hanging around, QuinnStorm.

RAV TUX
January 23rd, 2007, 01:50 AM
So when will Ubuntu come with Beryl preinstalled? I'm waiting for it. I don't want to try and install it myself.

These post were off-topic to the original thread...so I moved them to the cafe under a new title.

Sabayon is a small distribution and thus can have a narrow focus, such as being the official beryl distro.
Here is where I agree and disagree with you:

Agree that Sabayon is a tight knit group of devs, and when you are a part of the community you fell like you are part of a big extended family.

Disagree about any imagined "narrow-focus" you may have mis-precieved:

I work closely with the Sabayon Devs....their focus was never to become the official beryl distro....in fact it was a surprise to everyone....but it makes sense...if you really know anything about Sabayon you realize these guys are not hampered by bureaucracy....this is key because these guys are not just on the forefront of Beryl but in the forefront of Linux in general....meaning they will take the latest Linux Kernel and write patches and upgrades that eventually all Linux distros will inevitably use....but Sabayon is using it first because they are writing the code to help all of Linux....you will see they do this across the board in every aspect in an Operating System...

I use both Ubuntu and Sabayon and am on the official staff of both ubuntuforums.org and sabayonlinux.org for a good reason....both of these OS's are in the forefront of Linux...

Neither have a narrow focus, and both are good, but Sabayon is moving lightspeed ahead of all, simply because they are not tied down....Beryl is just one tiny aspect of innovation and implementation that they have had and it has hardly been a focus, just merely a symptom of their overall innovation.

Mateo
January 23rd, 2007, 01:55 AM
Just wondering, why do you post here when you are a sabayon user?

RAV TUX
January 23rd, 2007, 02:01 AM
Just wondering, why do you post here when you are a sabayon user?If you are asking me....I am both a Sabayon and Ubuntu user and I am in support of both....my focus is more on the unity of innovation of Linux in general.

Also I have been and hopefully will always continue to be on the official ubuntuforums.org staff....as a moderator...

I also lead the NU Ubuntu Team.....(Northeastern United States Ubuntu LoCo Team).....right now my co-admin(macogw (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631)) & I are busy preparing about a dozen computer from my work that we are erasing windows and installing Edubuntu,....we will be donating these to local DC schools)Mostly Mackenzie btw (macogw (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=137631))
Northeastern LoCo Team - US (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=190)

I understand your question if you do not know me but I am very active in Ubuntu...I always will be....but I will always be active in all of Linux

I have tested out and used over 200 OS's

I have committed my time to two

1. Ubuntu
2. Sabayon

Mateo
January 23rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
just asking a non-hostile, curiousity induced question ;)

For the topic, I don't see why ubuntu should every come with beryl preinstalled. Why should it? It's not necessary, at all. The only time it should be preinstalled is when/if computers are so powerful that any computer not capable of running beryl flawlessly is considered ancient.

There can simply be beryl sub-distros, like there are for xfce and kde. Berubuntu? Title might need some work.

BLTicklemonster
January 23rd, 2007, 02:10 AM
Rav, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you. When I see your name on a post, I know I am about to learn something. But would it not be better if your sig were Ubuntu oriented instead of Sabayan? For an outsider, it may send mixed signals. To each his own, though, I just thought I'd mention that.

Back on topic:

I keep seeing where people ask if ubuntu will include this that and the other thing. I like it that Ubuntu comes as one iso, not a series of 5 or more like others. I would like to see it kept that way, too. Put beryl in the repos, but don't go bundling stuff with it or next thing you know, you disorient newcomers who don't understand why they have to get more than one disk to install an operating system, or don't even know which one to download in the first place.

macogw
January 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
I keep seeing where people ask if ubuntu will include this that and the other thing. I like it that Ubuntu comes as one iso, not a series of 5 or more like others. I would like to see it kept that way, too. Put beryl in the repos, but don't go bundling stuff with it or next thing you know, you disorient newcomers who don't understand why they have to get more than one disk to install an operating system, or don't even know which one to download in the first place.

Agreed. Sabayon will not even boot from CD on my friend's 4-year-old computer. I've had the installer freeze 4 times since yesterday, and my computer's 6 months old. It heavily relies on you having very up to date hardware. Ubuntu can run on older stuff, though Rav needs to uninstall it from that P2 in his living room. Too slow. Xubuntu, Jozef! Beryl should be in the official Ubuntu repos though. Fedora has it in their repos. Why not?

By the way Jozef, I did get Fedora and Ubuntu to play nice. Sabayon is installing now, and I see what you mean about keys getting stuck. The l just stuck for over a line. Rav, I'd call that a Sabayon glitch. This keyboard never did that under Ubuntu. Feisty will be reinstalled last.

RAV TUX
January 23rd, 2007, 03:34 AM
Rav, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you. When I see your name on a post, I know I am about to learn something. But would it not be better if your sig were Ubuntu oriented instead of Sabayan? For an outsider, it may send mixed signals. To each his own, though, I just thought I'd mention that.
Thanks for the input...I have considered a Beryl user bar....but if you know anything about me....my sig, and avatar constantly change....

I think that the only signal that it sends btw is how open ubuntuforums.org really are, we have a whole "Other OS" forum not just for other Linux distros but also BSD, Mac OS X and windows...when someone does a google search for most any other OS they may get directed here....this is a positive influence overall...I do use Sabayon on my primary computer, it is beautiful...and when if I ever got tired of Beryl I can just turn it off and restart X..........easy as that...

Back on topic:

I would actually like it better if Ubuntu came with out a lot of things by default....like OOo and a host of other resource hungry applications...

So I would agree that Ubuntu should not come with Beryl by default...I would like to see a very minimalistic Ubuntu....much, much more minimalistic then it ever has been....

I do like the idea of a separate Ubuntu Beryl ......Bubuntu?

There can simply be beryl sub-distros, like there are for xfce and kde. Berubuntu? Title might need some work.I was thinking:

Bubuntu

RAV TUX
January 23rd, 2007, 03:35 AM
Agreed. Sabayon will not even boot from CD on my friend's 4-year-old computer. I've had the installer freeze 4 times since yesterday, and my computer's 6 months old. It heavily relies on you having very up to date hardware. Ubuntu can run on older stuff, though Rav needs to uninstall it from that P2 in his living room. Too slow. Xubuntu, Jozef! Beryl should be in the official Ubuntu repos though. Fedora has it in their repos. Why not?

By the way Jozef, I did get Fedora and Ubuntu to play nice. Sabayon is installing now, and I see what you mean about keys getting stuck. The l just stuck for over a line. Rav, I'd call that a Sabayon glitch. This keyboard never did that under Ubuntu. Feisty will be reinstalled last.
Awesome!....news....:guitar:

I will install Xubuntu on the old P2 as you suggest Mackenzie;)

macogw
January 23rd, 2007, 03:43 AM
Make that 5 freezes *sigh*

RAV TUX
January 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
Make that 5 freezes *sigh*you simple need the mini-cd.....edition...I will burn one for you and give it to you next time I see you,....

macogw
January 23rd, 2007, 03:48 AM
but i want gnome :(

rabid9797
January 23rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
isn't that what ubuntu vanilla is? ubuntu+beryl?

RAV TUX
January 23rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
but i want gnome :(Talk to Cvill64 at irc.oftc.net,.... #sabayon

I know he can help you

and IM me;)

Polygon
January 23rd, 2007, 04:23 AM
for the regular live cd, id rather have more useful programs / bug fixes / other stuff rather then a program that makes windows pretty and transparant and makes your desktop rotate as a cube. There is simply not enough space to include a lot of extra stuff....

but if ubuntu ever came out as a live dvd, sure go for it (but make it an OPTION, like sabayon) as you will have 4 times the space to include whatever the hell you want.

roxics
January 23rd, 2007, 04:31 AM
I can certainly understand peoples concern with leaving Beryl off the OS to some degree. Everyone uses the system differently. For me Linux is a toy operating system. It's not something I use on my desktop on a daily basis. The applications for it just don't exist yet, unfortunately.
So when I boot up my Ubuntu box it's either because my main system crashed and I want to get on the net quickly, or because I just want to play around with the OS. The keyword being "play" and not "troubleshoot".

So for me the more eye candy and fun things you can do with Ubuntu the better. I don't want to spend two days trying to figure out how to install Beryl, I just want to take it out of the box and play with it.

macogw
January 23rd, 2007, 04:52 AM
So for me the more eye candy and fun things you can do with Ubuntu the better. I don't want to spend two days trying to figure out how to install Beryl, I just want to take it out of the box and play with it.
well lucky for you, http://wiki.beryl-project.org has some very short, simple instructions.

rko618
January 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
There can simply be beryl sub-distros, like there are for xfce and kde. Berubuntu? Title might need some work.

Could you explain the need for a sub beryl ubuntu distro? Why not just get to the point where a user can type "apt-get install beryl" instead of making another sub-ubuntu. The separate flavors of ubuntu only serve to confuse new linux users (people who don't know the difference between kde and gnome) and there should be as few of them as possible. Creating separate ubuntus for 1 software package is not warranted.

Mateo
January 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM
It has to come preinstalled if it's going to be a real alternative to Vista, and equally (or better) for eye candy.

I disagree that subdistros confuse people. When I first heard about ubuntu (using fedora at the time), I didn't know what the subdistros meant, but didn't care either. I saw ubuntu as the "default" distro and that was good enough for me.

mushroom
January 23rd, 2007, 11:57 PM
It's a Feisty goal considered "essential", so perhaps next release.