PDA

View Full Version : What next??

PendragonUK
January 22nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
I'm a compulsive fiddler (not that way!) I like to make thing work, play around with my PC to make it do cool and interesting stuff. Computers have been my hobby since I was first "exposed" to one in the early 80's (ZX81)

After trying several disto's over the years ubuntu has found a permanent home on my PC. I still have a Windows partition for gaming but that's it, just gaming...

So I have ubuntu set-up pretty much how I like it. My last project was to get 3D desktop running. I'm in love with Beryl... it helps my productivity honest :)

Anyhow I'm after a new project... Something cool/different so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears...

mips
January 22nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Try Sabayon Linux and you will forget about Ubuntu.

WiseElben
January 22nd, 2007, 11:34 PM

Now is that because it's more interesting or because you just like having to compiling everything?

mips
January 22nd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Now is that because it's more interesting or because you just like having to compiling everything?

Well when you install it it is pre-compiled. It is way faster than Ubuntu. It is cutting edge & stable.

The compiling part for installing new apps is actually no biggie to me, it takes abit longer than a binary distro.

Emerge is new to me and interesting.

Hard to really explain but this distro will blow your socks off. I love it.

Daveski
January 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
Anyhow I'm after a new project... Something cool/different so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears...

How are you with programming? You can write great shell scripts, or Python or PERL, or compile C programs, or even write assembler directly - all this built into the standard distrubution (mostly).

Polygon
January 23rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
Well when you install it it is pre-compiled. It is way faster than Ubuntu. It is cutting edge & stable.

The compiling part for installing new apps is actually no biggie to me, it takes abit longer than a binary distro.

i actually tried it yesterday, and i still cant get my internet working.... It seems to detect my wireless card and network, yet when i enter my information it doesnt connect. when i switch over to gnome to do it the easy way (instead of the overly complicated kde way) it seems that they took out the "networking" option in gnome. great.

Im sure it will be fine once i get my internet working, but the taking out of the gnome networking utility stills baffles me. I talked to a admin about it in irc and he says he thinks its my wireless card not being autoconfigured right or something

Quillz
January 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
i actually tried it yesterday, and i still cant get my internet working.... It seems to detect my wireless card and network, yet when i enter my information it doesnt connect. when i switch over to gnome to do it the easy way (instead of the overly complicated kde way) it seems that they took out the "networking" option in gnome. great.

Im sure it will be fine once i get my internet working, but the taking out of the gnome networking utility stills baffles me. I talked to a admin about it in irc and he says he thinks its my wireless card not being autoconfigured right or something
That option is missing in Fedora Core, too. I can't understand why they'd remove it.

darweth
January 23rd, 2007, 01:06 AM
Time to set up Fluxbox and beat Battles of Wesnoth.

maniacmusician
January 23rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
The networking tool isn't an option, it's actually a separate package, I'm pretty sure. I dont know what its called, I usually stick with my beloved KDE

xpod
January 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM
What next??

The programming if you know what your doing and the "word assosiation" thread if you dont;)

Have fun regardless...goodnight & good luck):P

MkfIbK7a
January 23rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
try using the fvwm-crystal wm

do

sudo aptitude install fvwm-crystal

you will be blown away with the beauty and speed of it when you first start it up

by the way to start it just chooose it as a session in the login screen

MetalMusicAddict
January 23rd, 2007, 02:51 AM

Ill try it when it uses Gnome. All I see are KDE screen shots.

Quillz
January 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Based on some earlier posts in this thread, it sounds like you can choose between GNOME and KDE.

Choad
January 23rd, 2007, 03:03 AM
start learning python and pyGTK and get making some funky ubuntu programs

Jason.TJ.Johnson
January 23rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
Marking this thread for curiousity.
Oh, Ubuntu Center is a cool piece of software, look it up.

I have one issue with it, but that's a seperate thread...

nalmeth
January 23rd, 2007, 05:20 AM
You can achieve just as much with Ubuntu as with Sabayon.

Sabayon is a lazy man's Gentoo, and its a good, safe and hand-held introduction into emerge and the Gentoo way..
I don't care for it to have a permanent slot on my HD, but I guess its because I'm more of a debian guy. I never found the tremendous speed advantage touted by Gentoo people, and while its not emerge, I think APT is a brilliant mechanism.
I think Gentoo is amazing though, and one day I think I will master and use it. That and linux from scratch are two notable challenges.

If you're looking for something less intensive, you might want to checkout new desktop environments like E17, or checkout other 3D applications like Celestia, setting up your own server (something I'm trying to tackle, first to setup Jinzora), or go down to the gaming area at the Ubuntu Doc Storage Facility and see if anything interests you.

http://gaming.gwos.org/ Is another hub for ubuntu gaming

MkfIbK7a
January 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
also try looking glass 3d desktop

its written in java...

i know ther is a thread about it in here somewhere...

fenian
January 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
Hardware....Maybe a headphone amp in a mint box
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM

The DVD has several different DEs available and Gnome is one of them.

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM

As Root run net-setup from a cli.

Tux Aubrey
January 23rd, 2007, 12:08 PM

When I'm a little more comfortable with Linux, I have in mind to create a MythTV system that I can network through my house. Mind you, since getting into Ubuntu, I watch so little TV it would hardly be worth the effort from my personal POV.

Some sort of server setup - so I could access my files remotely - is also on my to do list.