PDA

View Full Version : Building a Computer

Darklighter137
January 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Hi! I am looking to build my own computer this summer. I am hoping to run both Windows Vista (for work and Halo 2) and Linux well. I understand basic things like you need to buy a Motherboard, network card, CPU, RAM, fan, case, thermal paste, CD drive, and power supply but I don't have much of a sense of what goes together. Could someone point me in the direction of where to find more information, and where to buy parts? I know about Newegg.

Thank you all for your help. =)

Hranj
January 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM
just don't use tiger direct. i cant help you much more than that.

taurus
January 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Move to Cafe.

Darklighter137
January 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. Any others? ^_^

niko7865
January 22nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
No need to buy a network card unless you need wireless, almost every motherboard out there comes with atleast one 100 or 1000mbps ethernet connection. Other than that your parts list looks good, use newegg and zipzoomfly.com.

Don't forget hard drives, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and maybe extra fans if your case doesn't come with them.

thomasbaker
January 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
what is wrong with using tigerdirect? I have used them for years with no troubles.

GuitarHero
January 22nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm
That should tell you everything. Buy your stuff from newegg.com
They are very cheap, very fast, and very reliable.

Darklighter137
January 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Thank you, but what about a Winmodem? I will need to use it at home with dial-up at least part of the time.

Thanks again!

Hranj
January 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
thomasbaker: when my friend was building his computer he ordered an AMD processor, forget exactly which one, but when he got it, it was the wrong one. he called up tiger direct and they were like no we dont make mistakes and he was out $150.

dpar
January 22nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't use a Winmodem, unless you really lick dragging around a microsoft anchor. I had one, long before ADSL, and regretted it.

chipdip
January 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
just don't use tiger direct. i cant help you much more than that.

Are you kidding?
I use TigerDirect for all of my projects, not one problem. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion, TigerDirect is a fine place to get parts. :p

Darklighter137
January 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
I was asking about the Winmodem because I know nothing about regular modems, and will need the system to perform well under both Windows and Linux.

dpar
January 22nd, 2007, 11:22 PM
I think any modem would perform well under both.........I may be wrong, but you may have more trouble with a winmodem under linux.

mips
January 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
I think any modem would perform well under both.........I may be wrong, but you may have more trouble with a winmodem under linux.

WRONG. It's dependant on the modem chipset.

My advice would be do buy a external US Robotics Serial modem if you need dial-up.

suziequzie
January 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
For a graphics card, I would recommend one based on nvidia, not ati radeon. Nvidia seems to work better with linux that radeon does.

Polygon
January 23rd, 2007, 12:05 AM
when i built my first computer my dad gave me a book called O'Rileys "hardware in a nutshell", it was really good, went in depth about a lot of hardware and even had chapters on how to find, buy, and assemble your PC, maybe try getting one of these books

Darklighter137
January 23rd, 2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks guys!

Drakkor
January 23rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Basically, the main thing is to select the processor,motherboard,and memory that will all work together. Every cpu has a certain pin configuration that must fit the motherboard, and also the memory must match the motherboard. Good luck ! :) Built my own and never regretted it , jut do
your homework as to what you will need for the periiphials. e.g. how many drives, the kind of video card, If there's alot of power required,make sure you get a good quality power-supply !
At least 400 watts !