PDA

View Full Version : Something intresting I was shown (windows app more compatible with wine than XP)

malfist
January 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
I recently started a friend on Ubuntu (thanks to them sending CD's w00t for that feature) and he likes it a lot. I showed him how to let it dual boot so he could still keep windows and everything, he says no he uses ubuntu much more than windows. Now, to the story. He has Fanalie (sp?) notepad 2007. It's a program for creating and editing sheet music. He used wine (I didn't have to help him config it and he isn't that great with computer (better than most but no where near IT)) to install it on Ubuntu first and it worked without a problem. A little later he decides to install it on windows and poof! It doesn't work. He wouldn't couldn't tell me exactly what was wrong (nor did he really care) but it was basicly the validation for the CD-Key wouldn't work (don't ask me why) on windows.

Strangly, it seems Wine is more compatable with windows apps than windows XP is.

Note: for all those intrested, it might have something to do with it being a pirated copy.

Malfist

Jussi Kukkonen
January 22nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
I understand that this is mostly an anecdotal story, but asking for help on getting unlicensed software to run is usually not approved here.

malfist
January 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
I am sorry I did not clarify myself. I wasn't asking for help. I was just stating something my friend showed me. Most likely would effect non-pirated (non-spagatti moster) software too. If there was an off-topic section I would have gladly placed it there but this seemed the best spot. After all, newbies (not to be confused with n00bs) need some chearing up that there is good to linux :P. And that there is quiet a bit of it too.

Jenda
June 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Moved to cafe... better late then never :)
However, the story rocks.

laxmanb
June 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM
hmmm.... Wine supports pirated software better than Windows...

won't actually get companies running to make sure their Windows s/w works with wine...

forrestcupp
June 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Even if it wasn't a pirated copy, it may not have worked well. Once you install something and validate it, the software generally won't just easily install again on a different system. That is what validation is for. It's meant to be like that. It's not about wine vs. Windows; the same thing would happen on two Windows machines.