PDA

View Full Version : Great looking mulitplatform MMORPG.

DarkN00b
January 22nd, 2007, 06:18 AM
Look Here: http://savage2.s2games.com/

I'm pretty sure its free to download (not sure about play). It looks really good, and is opengl based. The bext thing is that there is a Linux native client.

banjobacon
January 22nd, 2007, 06:21 AM
Someone posted this yesterday:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343115&highlight=savage

EDIT: Maybe not. That was about Savage. This post seems to be about Savage 2, though it doesn't seem to be released yet.

DarkN00b
January 22nd, 2007, 06:28 AM
OOps. I was wrong about the freeness anyway. I looked it up and it is commercial. Not that I have a problem with commercial games on Linux. If its good I'll pay for it.

sloggerkhan
January 22nd, 2007, 06:28 AM
I guess there's always Planseshift, but it's always seemed a little hardcore to me... (Not sure how good it is really.)

riven0
January 22nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
OOps. I was wrong about the freeness anyway. I looked it up and it is commercial. Not that I have a problem with commercial games on Linux. If its good I'll pay for it.

But as far as I know, Savage is free. You don't have to pay anything. Look here (http://www.s2games.com/savage/downloads.php).

DarkN00b
January 22nd, 2007, 08:20 AM
OK. Maybe I was wrong the second time. The Linux download points to a script though. Perhaps this is to fetch the files needed to install it? I would need to read that script before I ran it though. Doesn't matter to me; it won't run on my I810 system anyway... ](*,)

maniacmusician
January 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
well its a 300 something MB script so I'm pretty sure its got all the content in it :) downloading itnow.

bummer that it wont work on you computer.

Oh, btw, you were right; Savage2 is commercial, its the original Savage that is free.

DarkN00b
January 22nd, 2007, 08:34 AM
I looked at the script. Only the first few pages are recognizable a a BASH script. The rest looks kinda like a binary file when viewed in a text editor. I'm sure its fine though. Surely they wouldn't jeopardize their rep by doing nasty things to *nix users. Anyway, it doesn't bother me as I can't run it. Maybe when I upgrade my desktop in a couple months (new Nvidia video card, more mem, and a second HD) I'll try it.

Stephen Howard
January 22nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
I looked at the script. Only the first few pages are recognizable a a BASH script. The rest looks kinda like a binary file when viewed in a text editor

Its a packaged script - the first few lines unpack the remaining data and write it out as an executable program. The method is a standard way to distribute programs. Of itself its not a suspicious thing.

gaminggeek
January 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Savage is not an mmorpg its a RTS FPS :roll:

DarkN00b
January 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
I looked at the script. Only the first few pages are recognizable a a BASH script. The rest looks kinda like a binary file when viewed in a text editor

Its a packaged script - the first few lines unpack the remaining data and write it out as an executable program. The method is a standard way to distribute programs. Of itself its not a suspicious thing.

OK, that makes sense.

Savage is not an mmorpg its a RTS FPS :roll:

How 'bout this: MMO-RTS-FPS-RPG. :grin: I believe it has elements of all.

K.Mandla
January 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Wow, that does look really good. :shock: I might have to put together a machine that can do that, just to try it. :biggrin:

The FAQ says they want it to work on Geforce2 machines eventually, but the game will run on a 1Ghz with a 64Mb Geforce/Radeon. That'd be nice.

dtruesdale
January 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
You could always play Regnum Online it has multiplatform clients. It is free to download and play. If you like others there is Rubies of Eventide using Wine or Cedega.

gaminggeek
January 23rd, 2007, 01:41 AM
It has no mmo like things at all it is online but you play in servers like counterstrike or quake not in one big server So its lacking the massive part of MMO but FPS - RTS - RPG would be acceptable