PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to IM?

BWF89
January 21st, 2007, 10:41 PM
I have accounts on AIM, Jabber/Google Talk, MSN, and Yahoo. I use Adium on Mac and Kopete on Linux.

wert613
January 21st, 2007, 10:41 PM
i use aim
with either
naim
gaim
kopete
or ayttm

chele
January 21st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Ekiga (SIP)

gummibaerchen
January 21st, 2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah SIP is missing.. Besides I use ICQ, AIM, MSN and Jabber.

200+ Contacts in ICQ
20+ in Jabber
2+ in MSN and AIM each

Somenoob
January 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM
amsn and gaim

Pobega
January 22nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
You're missing IRC, by the way.

~LoKe
January 22nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
Aim/msn.

ButteBlues
January 22nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
AIM, MSN, GTalk/Jabber, and IRC.

BWF89
January 22nd, 2007, 12:43 AM
You're missing IRC, by the way.
Technically IRC is an instant messenger but I could only fit 10 in and most people don't think of IRC when they think of instant messaging.

maniacmusician
January 22nd, 2007, 12:46 AM
AIM and JABBER using kopete. I should probably get other accounts as well.

Pobega
January 22nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
Technically IRC is an instant messenger but I could only fit 10 in and most people don't think of IRC when they think of instant messaging.
Ehh, I'm probably the only person in the world who uses IRC for personal chats with friends.

lyceum
January 22nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
Kind of ironic that AOL and MSN are the 2 with the most votes on a Linux/GNU forum. :D

Sarted with AOL, switched to Yahoo.

banjobacon
January 22nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Kind of ironic that AOL and MSN are the 2 with the most votes on a Linux/GNU forum. :D

Sarted with AOL, switched to Yahoo.

You've got to use what your friends use.

I use AIM.

loell
January 22nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
yahoo

BWF89
January 22nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
I'm surprised to see the majority of the people using MSN. Here Pennsylvania AIM is so popular when people ask you for your "screen name" their talking about AIM and only AIM. I don't think anyone around here uses anything else.

I use AIM for about 95% of my stuff, Yahoo to talk to 1 person, and MSN & Google Talk haven't been used period in atleast 6 months. I just use all 4 accounts since my IM clients support multiple protocols.

euler_fan
January 22nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
I have msn and aol accounts and use Gaim. When I get bold enough to get on the Ubuntu IRC then I'll be on that too. Not sure how long it'll take before I get comfortable enough to though. :rolleyes:

AndyCooll
January 22nd, 2007, 02:33 AM
I'm surprised to see the majority of the people using MSN. Here Pennsylvania AIM is so popular when people ask you for your "screen name" their talking about AIM and only AIM. I don't think anyone around here uses anything else..

Yeah, but that's only in the US. As usual the rest of the world uses something else. :D

MSN and YM! in my case.

:cool:

DrOlaf
January 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM
ICQ for most chat
MSN for my family & friends in the UK
AIM for my students to contact me

I kicked the IRC habit a few years ago....That was a real time-sink

Severa
January 22nd, 2007, 02:39 AM
I've got AIM, Yahoo, ICQ, and MSN running through GAIM. Out of those four, I'd say my Yahoo one is the most active.

jbayone
January 22nd, 2007, 02:41 AM
I mainly use trillian at work just because of the SIP plugin. Are there any alternatives to Gaim in ubuntu? I haven't really looked around or anything, just wondering if anyone can suggest a messenger program that supports aim, yahoo, msn, etc., all in one.

Omnios
January 22nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
I usually use msn with Mercury as all my family members use msn.

ihatethedekoys
January 22nd, 2007, 03:10 AM
I use AIM under gaim, and MSN under aMSN for webcam.

Mostly I just use IRC, though.

rabid9797
January 22nd, 2007, 04:11 AM
aim, gaim.

Pobega
January 22nd, 2007, 04:31 AM
I mainly use trillian at work just because of the SIP plugin. Are there any alternatives to Gaim in ubuntu? I haven't really looked around or anything, just wondering if anyone can suggest a messenger program that supports aim, yahoo, msn, etc., all in one.

Kopete, although it's KDE based so you may have to install a few dependancies. Personally I think Gaim is much better, since it's GTK based and simple. Version 1.5.0 has more functionality than 2.0.0(beta), so I advise you use that instead of the beta versions (Which come with Ubuntu)

BWF89
January 22nd, 2007, 04:48 AM
ICQ for most chat
Isn't ICQ just a glorified email account?

Mateo
January 22nd, 2007, 05:15 AM
Use Gaim, has everything I want (which is just messenging with aol and yahoo. I don't need voice or webcam, as I don't use either. Gaim has a pretty icon and lots of good simple options, works for me.

Mateo
January 22nd, 2007, 05:15 AM
Isn't ICQ just a glorified email account?

? it works the same was AIM does as far as I know.

Polygon
January 22nd, 2007, 05:31 AM
i use aim mostly, but i hate it. I with other people would use something else, like jabber or icq or something

i used to use msn, but stopped after i kept getting disconnected from the msn server, BOTH in windows and linux! (i could still use aim and everything, and my internet had not gone down)

i also use xfire, although it is for windows, it is by far the greatest IM program for gamers. period. I even have the plugin for gaim so i can talk to ppl while in linux =P

DougieFresh4U
January 22nd, 2007, 06:29 AM
AIM,gaim,aMSN, Yahoo, been trying for 2 weeks to get AIM to install on my Xubuntu but seem to have dependency from hell problems, which I have been posting and posting but no solution. My friends with AIM don't get all that I send using gaim (emoticons and pic's):-({|=

maniacmusician
January 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
AIM,gaim,aMSN, Yahoo, been trying for 2 weeks to get AIM to install on my Xubuntu but seem to have dependency from hell problems, which I have been posting and posting but no solution. My friends with AIM don't get all that I send using gaim (emoticons and pic's):-({|=
Trust me, you dont want to use AIM Linux. It is HORRIBLE. Even worse than AIM for windows.

Pobega
January 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
I ended up sticking with my support for open source and switching to the Jabber protocol; So far I'm liking it, I'm using the Gajim client and it is very familiar to me (Gaim-like). I actually prefer the Gajim client to the Gaim client, it just seems a lot friendlier to me.

kuja
January 22nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
I use AIM, MSN, and Yahoo with Kopete. I IRC with Konversation. I also have Skype installed but don't really use it much.

atoponce
January 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM
I use Jabber only, as it's the only Free Protocol that I am aware of. I use Bitlbee in Irssi for my client. Sometimes, I can be caught using Gajim also.

Polygon
January 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM
Trust me, you dont want to use AIM Linux. It is HORRIBLE. Even worse than AIM for windows.

i agree with you there... its like written for gtk 1 so it even looks horrible too!

just use gaim, i am able to send / recieve attachments from aim users using gaim.

Quillz
January 22nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
I use Gaim for everything, which includes AIM, MSN and IRC.

eriqk
January 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Gaim for MSN. Not because I like MSN, but if that's what everyone else is using, there's not much choice.

Groet, Erik

EdThaSlayer
January 22nd, 2007, 02:34 PM
I used to use Amsn and GAIM but now I'm mostly focused on just using GAIM.

LookTJ
January 22nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
I use the Jabber IM Network on both Windows/Ubuntu

As for client, Gaim on both of them too.

Brunellus
January 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
jabber (@jabber.org and @gmail.com) and AIM.

I am pushing for greater jabber penetration.

hoagie
January 22nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
I have an msn account and I use gaim as a client.
In windows I also use skype, because the ubuntu version of skype is far behind, like in version 2 while in windows is version 4.

Brunellus
January 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
I have an msn account and I use gaim as a client.
In windows I also use skype, because the ubuntu version of skype is far behind, like in version 2 while in windows is version 4.
the skype devs contend, lamely, that their versioning is distinct for each platform, but the fact of the matter is that the latest skype for linux is not nearly as 'version-complete' as the latest skype for Windows.

In fact, it's a downright ugly bit of software, right down to the poor grammar/usage of its English version. This is the sort of thing that even a moron could patch, but, hey, proprietary software is what it is, right?

I use skype with tightly clenched teeth as a result.

jdhore
January 22nd, 2007, 06:32 PM
i have friends who use different IM protocols so i think it's best to cover all of them, so i use:
MSN
YIM
Jabber

bastiegast
January 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
I'm surprised to see the majority of the people using MSN. Here Pennsylvania AIM is so popular when people ask you for your "screen name" their talking about AIM and only AIM. I don't think anyone around here uses anything else.

I use AIM for about 95% of my stuff, Yahoo to talk to 1 person, and MSN & Google Talk haven't been used period in atleast 6 months. I just use all 4 accounts since my IM clients support multiple protocols.

Funny, here in holland everyone uses MSN. As for the people I know most of them haven't even heard of other protocols. It is a culture here, a way of life. I use it too, through GAIM slow filetransfer sucks! everytime someone sends me a file I have to explain them I use linux etc... Bad marketing for linux ](*,) .

Thinking of it, the above is not really true it applies for the younger people ( < 18) and skype is quite popular too.

qalimas
January 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
I use AIM with Kopete and Skype with... Skype :grin:

Brunellus
January 22nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Funny, here in holland everyone uses MSN. As for the people I know most of them haven't even heard of other protocols. It is a culture here, a way of life. I use it too, through GAIM slow filetransfer sucks! everytime someone sends me a file I have to explain them I use linux etc... Bad marketing for linux ](*,) .

Thinking of it, the above is not really true it applies for the younger people ( < 18) and skype is quite popular too.
Bug #1.

BWF89
January 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
I use Jabber only, as it's the only Free Protocol that I am aware of.
Theres a protocol called DirectNet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectNet). I almost included it in the poll but I could only fit so many, so I had to choose what I thought were going to be the most popular.

I use it too, through GAIM slow filetransfer sucks! everytime someone sends me a file I have to explain them I use linux etc... Bad marketing for linux ](*,) .
You get slow file transfer, I usually can't get any file transfer. I've been using non official clients since 2004 and I still have to explain to people that I can't get file transfer as I'm not using Windows or an official client. I'll tell them to send it to my email.

scrooge_74
January 23rd, 2007, 03:15 AM
the skype devs contend, lamely, that their versioning is distinct for each platform, but the fact of the matter is that the latest skype for linux is not nearly as 'version-complete' as the latest skype for Windows.

In fact, it's a downright ugly bit of software, right down to the poor grammar/usage of its English version. This is the sort of thing that even a moron could patch, but, hey, proprietary software is what it is, right?

I use skype with tightly clenched teeth as a result.

I have to use skype because of work .

I do have accounts with MSN and YAhoo. I use to have an ICQ account but got tired of lossing contacts everytime I lost a HD

dbbolton
January 23rd, 2007, 03:36 AM
ayttm

atoponce
January 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Theres a protocol called DirectNet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectNet). I almost included it in the poll but I could only fit so many, so I had to choose what I thought were going to be the most popular. Interesting. I was not aware of it. I'll have to look into it and see what I think. For the time being, Jabber is my protocol.

RAV TUX
January 24th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Jabber and only Jabber.org (NOT Google)

JABBER is ubuntuforums' preferred IM protocol (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342641)

Mateo
January 24th, 2007, 12:45 AM

same here. I think it might depend on generation thing to. AIM was the most popular, by far, for a long time. myself and the people I know already were using instant messaging before the others came around.

but yeah, it's a regional thing. I only have yahoo because a friend I met in college (who's from Illinois) said everyone he knew used it.

scrooge_74
January 24th, 2007, 03:55 AM
i had to keep MSN because I few in my family and some friends do not have accounts with YAhoo. And I dont want to open a Gmail account to be able to chat with a few friends, because I have to many accounts already. But since jabber seems to be able to talk to people using gmail that may be a workaround

yabbadabbadont
January 24th, 2007, 04:16 AM
I voted "other" since you didn't include the, "None at all", and "What's IM?" options. :D

Johnsie
January 24th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I use Windows for IM 'cos Linux sucks on all the major networks. Audio/Video IM are a joke on Linux on the major networks. It's like going back to 1997 before they has video/audio messaging as standard. The alternatives aren't very good either.

esaym
January 24th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Crap I messed up. I chose other becuase I didn't see kopete. doh!

neoflight
January 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM
surprising to see msn getting the most # of votes...!!!

maniacmusician
January 24th, 2007, 06:04 AM
I use Windows for IM 'cos Linux sucks on all the major networks. Audio/Video IM are a joke on Linux on the major networks. It's like going back to 1997 before they has video/audio messaging as standard. The alternatives aren't very good either.
sheesh, stop spreading your gloom and doom man. We saw your thread, we get it, you're frustrated with Linux. Take it down a notch.

Johnsie
January 24th, 2007, 06:08 AM
what I'm saying is that Gaim/Kopete dont compete with MSN, Yahoo or Aol messengers. It's all down to their multi-media support. Yeah, it sounds like doom and gloom, but it's true. This is the 21st century and many people want to communicate better than text.

maniacmusician
January 24th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Actually, it's all down to hardware interaction and closed-source protocols. Linux doesn't interact in a very advanced way with webcams, in my experience. Also, all major protocols are closed-source; AIM, MSN, and Yahoo aren't telling us how we can transfer video using their protocols. If you've got a problem with that, go pester them or try to do something about it.

My point actually was that you can get your point across without repeating the same thing in 4 or 5 threads (they're not exactly the same, but they obviously boil down to the same concept).

Anyways, you really can't hold Linux responsible for things that are out of its control. Anyone can whine about stuff like you are, but kernel devs and program developers are actually doing something about it; their efforts may seem dismal to you, but at least they're trying. If you think you can do any better, go ahead and Wow us all.

Johnsie
January 24th, 2007, 06:22 AM
After a while using Linux you get tired of the whole "but it's all closed source " excuse. Software is already out there that works with it so that why Linux struggles. I mean you can talk all day about how hardware and software is closed but at the end of the day most people just want stuff that works well with what they've got. Excuses dont solve problems.

ubuntu27
January 24th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Jabber and only Jabber.org (NOT Google)

JABBER is ubuntuforums' preferred IM protocol (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342641)

Even though you are answering the question of "Which IM protocol you use?"
I get the feeling that you are subconsciously telling us that Google's jabber is not usable (or useful?)

I would like to know why you don't use Google's jabber. :)

RAV TUX
January 24th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Even though you are answering the question of "Which IM protocol you use?"
I get the feeling that you are subconsciously telling us that Google's jabber is not usable (or useful?)

I would like to know why you don't use Google's jabber. :)

I am not saying anything for or against Google's Jabber...simply that I choose not to use it and instead use @jabber.org

(you honestly don't want to know my thoughts on Google overall)

RAV TUX
January 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM
After a while using Linux you get tired of the whole "but it's all closed source " excuse. Software is already out there that works with it so that why Linux struggles. I mean you can talk all day about how hardware and software is closed but at the end of the day most people just want stuff that works well with what they've got. Excuses dont solve problems.

and there in is the #1 one reason to use @jabber.org....simply because it just works and works exceptionally great!

truthfatal
January 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I use MSN. mostly beacuse everyone I would have a reason to IM is using MSN.

I have accounts for AOL, ICQ, Google Talk, Skype, and Yahoo! as well.

Bezmotivnik
January 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
ICQ & Yahoo with Gaim.

I don't know that it's the hot setup, nor do I care. I got it installed in Ubuntu & XP with minimal hassle and with luck I'll never have to think about it again, ever. That's all I look for in programs -- functionality and ignorability.

As far as I know, I've never received a Yahoo message other than spam, but I have it activated because it's there. Concievably it may have some use one day.

I rarely have Gaim turned on, as I only use it to contact one person, in Ukraine, and I can just phone him on Skype anyway. [shrug]

I just added my ICQ & Yahoo IM info in my profile. You want to send me a message, go ahead -- I might get it and I might answer, y'never know.

jvc26
January 24th, 2007, 12:28 PM
ICQ and MSN for me. I use GAIM.
Il

BWF89
January 29th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I didn't know before this thread there were so many variants of Gaim. I also figured this being a Linux forum at least a few people would use Novell Groupwise.

IYY
January 29th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I use MSN with Gaim. The only reason is that my friends use it.

irish_flu
January 29th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I use GAIM because I use several different systems:

-MSN
-AIM
-Yahoo IM
-Google Talk
-IRC

I use all these because different friends and co-workers use different systems, and GAIM makes it easy to use them all together.

scrooge_74
January 29th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Did anybody notice that the poll results are weird? It adds up to like a 200%

And definitely GAIM makes my life easier one program to have them all, one program to talk to them all

~Mi
January 29th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Did anybody notice that the poll results are weird? It adds up to like a 200%

And definitely GAIM makes my life easier one program to have them all, one program to talk to them all

That's because you can vote for more then one protocol.

I use
Jabber - I'd like to use it as my main IM service but I know like, one person on it, lol
MSN - EVERYONE I know uses it (and complains about it, lol)
Yahoo - Slightly better then MSN but not by much... Oddly enough, I just noticed that every person I have on yahoo I also have on MSN... weird... Most of us talk on Yahoo more though, lol

I use Gaim as my main (RE: only) IM client

john262
January 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM
GAIM. I don't need anything else.

xhaan
January 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
MSN with Gaim and IRC with X-Chat...

jclmusic
January 29th, 2007, 11:17 AM
i use:

msn: amsn or gaim
aim: gaim
soulseek: nicotine

Jammy
January 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I use AIM and MSN for accounts. I use Adium on OS X and Gaim on Ubuntu.

demonhunter
January 29th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Actually, I have a lot of accounts through different services but I use gaim as my main IM soft. :guitar:

pulver
January 29th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Using gaim mostly for msn (as so many people seem to be infected with it) and icq.. Gaim is very nice and clean and doesn't get in the way.. although their news are causing a bit hype at times...

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/index.php?id=162
"On a related note, the gaim-vv project—which aimed to offer a framework for voice and video support in Gaim—is being merged back into Gaim proper for hopeful incorporation into Gaim 2.0.0. This will be used to support Google Talk's voice as well as MSN and Yahoo! webcams."

Reality? In gaim cyberspace no one can see or hear you scream, and filetransfer support is poor... still a nice im client with lots of tasty plugins... what really matters. File transfering doesn't really belong in the im arena imho...

Skype for voip. Sometimes also for im and p2p filetransfers, as licq and amsn, when people screem for it. Yea amsn does video but no audio right? Bad hardware keep me from trying it and ekiga which has yet to reach the windows fanclub. Also using x-chat for irc not being an irc zealot, though believe ms comic chat to be the best irc client ever made.. even the best thing that ever came out of redmond next to bob.

maniacmusician
February 1st, 2007, 08:41 AM
I got some new accounts.

Now I have:

AIM
GMail
Jabber (non-gmail)
Gadu-Gadu
Yahoo!

I thought I would load up in case I ever needed them.

grte
February 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
AIM and Jabber via Jabber.org, using centericq as a client.

aeto
February 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
mercury in Linux..Win Live Messenger in Windows, which gave me a virus yesterday (stupid IE popped up and installed the improfile worm, forgot to change default browser). All of my friends know nothing but MSN, and i have strayed away from chatting like IRC.

Brainfart
February 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
use AIM and MSN protocols, use gaim client on Gentoo, Fedora, and Windows but I've decided to give Kopete a shot on Kubuntu.

Gerard Barberi
February 3rd, 2007, 05:20 AM
Jabber protocols, both at work and personal. Gtalk on windows (my company has hosted google services), gaim on linux, and Psi on mac