ahaslam
January 21st, 2007, 10:24 PM
Test case type: Ubuntu Feisty Herd 2 - i386 Alternate CD - XFCE Session
Image ID: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/f...rnate-i386.iso
Dowloaded and burned: feisty-desktop-i386.iso
Date of testing: 21.jan.2007
Md5sum confirmed: Yes.
Pass/Fail: FAIL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed xfce with sudo aptitude install xfce4 thunar, logged out of gnome & into xfce to be greeted by a constant bombardment of error messages. I've attached a screenie & crash logs, it'll take me a while to search Launchpad for all this as I've a lot on my plate atm.

Tony.

kerry_s
January 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Does that happen every time or just the first time?

ahaslam
January 21st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Does that happen every time or just the first time?

Just the first time ;)

PS. Now that i'm not under constant bombardment, I've noticed some weird button labels & missing menu icons:

pochu
January 22nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
But if you have successfully installed Ubuntu, the installation is a Pass. That problem isn't with the CD image installation. It's a gnome/xfce problem.

Have you searched for that problem on Launchpad, and if it hasn't been filed yet, have you done it?

Regards
Pochu

ahaslam
January 22nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
To be blatantly honest, I can't be bothered with Launchpad, I've received 101 emails about bugs I know nothing about. I was simply posting for informational purposes, hoping it would be of benefit to someone.

:-\"

madmaxx
January 22nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Well, I know the problem of filing a bug and then being on some list... but please reconsider from NOT filing a bug. That your problem is of interest to some developers is absolutely sure! But give them a chance to solve your problem. I mean you tell "them" (yea, I am not a developer) that something sucks but you will not tell them what exactly it is. So are not given a chance at all to help you the next time... Isn't this, I mean, a bit... ](*,) ?
Because it you stick to that approach you will a) constantly waste time in posting annoyed testing expereinces into the forum but you will b) never get your problems solved.

Wouldn't you appreciate that XFCE "just works(TM)" in Feisty+1?
So, give them a chance and be part of the solution and not just the problem (indicator).
madmaxx

PS. I am pretty sure that you can switch off the feature of getting 101 emails in launchpad. Else file a but :biggrin: because I agree with you it should be possible!

pochu
January 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
That problem you say about receiving a lot of bugs reports you haven't participate is because those bugs are duplicates from yours, and as you are subscribed to yours, you receive also the others (the duplicates).

You can receive none of them (nor yours neither duplicates) clicking on unsubscribe myself (at the left menu on the bug report). But then you won't notice any change on the bug.

Please, fill in a bug if it hasn't been filled (if it has, then comment it and say you have the same, and provide any useful info). If you don't do that, as madmaxx has said, that bug may not be solved.

Regards
Pochu

ahaslam
January 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
a chance to solve your problem...
never get your problems solved.
Not my problems - I only decided to test because of the request on the homepage & a spare afternoon.

Wouldn't you appreciate that XFCE "just works(TM)" in Feisty+1?
XFCE is getting worse with each Ubuntu release & this has nothing to do with XFCE. XFCE users should consider Dreamlinux/Zenwalk.

That problem you say about receiving a lot of bugs reports you haven't participate is because those bugs are duplicates from yours, and as you are subscribed to yours, you receive also the others (the duplicates).
I'm getting response notifications of bugs that I've had no involvement with, whether duplicates or not & a lot of them!

):P

pochu
January 23rd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Not my problems - I only decided to test because of the request on the homepage & a spare afternoon.

We appreciate the testing, but if you are not going to report the bugs you find, your test is useless. If you are just going to have fun with the installer, do it, but I don't think that's what a tester is supposed to do.

I'm getting response notifications of bugs that I've had no involvement with, whether duplicates or not & a lot of them!

Maybe you are subscribed to a mailing list with a high volume on bugs reports, such us the bugsquad, the desktop bugs, or any other? If you don't know why, you can join #launchpad on freenode and ask for a Launchpad/Malone developer.

Regards
Pochu

pochu
January 23rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Of report a bug across Malone itself, telling your problem. If you do it sure you will get an answer or a fix for this.