PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux Quote I have ever seen

mrwooster
January 21st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Hi,

Just had to share this Linux quote with you all - I'm sure a lot of you have seen it before, but for those of you who haven't, its brilliant.

BTW: Would be great to hear some other Linux quotes if you have any.

(Sorry for the anti-windows side)

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?

Enjoy

Guy

Lord Illidan
January 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Hi,

Just had to share this Linux quote with you all - I'm sure a lot of you have seen it before, but for those of you who haven't, its brilliant.

Enjoy

Actually, it is: In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

mrwooster
January 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Even better

EdThaSlayer
January 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Here is another one that I read off someones signature:
"Why let Microsoft give you Windows while Linux can give you a house?"

LookTJ
January 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM
Actually, it is: In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
I thought it was: In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates?

MkfIbK7a
January 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
what bout these two

Take the gates off his hinges and break the windows

AND

if you search carefully in bill gates basement you will find an imac running ubuntu

rocknrolf77
January 21st, 2007, 06:55 PM
http://bildr.no/thumb/32806.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/32806)

LookTJ
January 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
How about my signature?

Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!

Insomniac20k
January 21st, 2007, 08:04 PM
"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to steal money from true AMERICAN companies like Microsoft who invented computing as we know it."

and

"Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux."

lyceum
January 21st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Here is another one that I read off someones signature:
"Why let Microsoft give you Windows while Linux can give you a house?"

or:

Microsoft sells you Windows, but Linux gives you the whole house.

ReiKn
January 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
My favourite is from Linus himself:

Linux is evolution, not intelligent design.

JoeC21
January 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Another good one from Linus: "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free"

LookTJ
January 22nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Another good one from Linus: "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free"

Ok that one just became my favorite :D

3rdalbum
January 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
My favourite quote was from this forum, actually.

3rdalbum: Never date proprietry girls; you can't change them to make them compatible with you.

Brunellus: But would you rather have to comply with the requirement that Open girls be available for anyone to use in any way they wish?

mrwooster
January 22nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Sorry for stealing this of someone's signature but its quite amusing:

Windows (n): A 32 bit shell for a 16 bit operating system,
originally written for an 8 bit processor on a 4 bit bus by a 2 bit company
that can't stand 1 bit of competition! - Anon

let_there_be_linux
November 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
not really a quote, but i have to put it here.

If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air

You turn up at the airport,which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes. All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be. The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost. The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract. The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again. You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink. You are searched regularly throughout the flight. If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket. No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

cmay
November 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
the greatest quote i ever seen is from this forum

join the dark side we have Penguins i think its very very funny but then again i am a very very strange person at times.:)

eternalnewbee
November 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Re: Best Linux Quote I have ever seen
not really a quote, but i have to put it here.

Quote:

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air

You turn up at the airport,which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes. All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be. The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost. The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract. The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again. You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink. You are searched regularly throughout the flight. If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket. No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

mihai.ile
November 27th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I really love the quote in my signature:

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

collinp
November 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I have one, notice the mention of "home" as in the home folder:

Microsoft sells Windows, but Linux gives you a home.

Sounds a lot like other ones in this thread, but there is a little difference.

lyceum
November 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Windows XP Air

Windows Vista Air:

Exactly like XP Air, only prettier and big guys in suits keep asking you if you are really you and if you really want to do what you are doing. You are questioned about everything you try to bring on board, you have to take off your shoes so they can scan and wand you constantly. They track everything you do and when you call you travel argent, he says "NO!" to everything you ask. It doesn't blow up, but flies so slow you wish it would. Sadly, it is just like a real airport in the US.

:lolflag:

slmouradian
November 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM
i don't know who said this originally, but i quote:

Linux: the choice of a GNU generation

ade234uk
November 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM

UNIX Airways

Air DOS

Mac Airlines

Windows Air

Windows NT Air

Windows XP Air

Linux Air

THAT IS FUNNY!!

uberdonkey5
November 28th, 2008, 05:18 PM
that airline one is hilarious. I quite like the quote in my signature, although I think when he says 'its wrong' he actually meant its wrong to feel guilty about vista, rather than vista is 'wrong'.

However, having had personal experience of vista, I can confirm 'its wrong'

let_there_be_linux
December 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
love the addition with vista thank you for adding that lyceum :)

two new ones i just found and made up myself:

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners"

"why let Microsoft force u to look through Windows, when Linux can let u work in the Open(source) environment"

enjoy:)

uncholowapo
December 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
"MS-DOS is like dating an ugly girl.

Windows is like dating an ugly girl with makeup on."

halovivek
December 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Linux is wife... you can keep her doing experiment and adding gadgets( dress, rings, cars)and works more fine till end
windows - prostitute... ready made you cant try more change.. get decease more (virus and spyware)

Bachstelze
December 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Just to add another perspective...

"Linux people do what they do because they hate Microsoft. We do what we do because we love Unix,"

"Linux has never been about quality. There are so many parts of the system that are just these cheap little hacks, and it happens to run."

Theo de Raadt

billgoldberg
December 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hi,

Enjoy

Guy

That isn't a linux quote.

It's a anti-windows quote.

It could be used by solaris, bsd, osx, ... users as well.

Bachstelze
December 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM
It could be used by osx, ... users as well.

Fixed that for you. Solaris and BSD people have better things to do than bash Microsoft. Write quality code, for example...

_noob_
December 18th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Linux like life is difficult to learn at first. But like linux if you know where to look there are always good people to help. - _noob_

bartos
December 18th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Geek by nature, Linux by choice

roshanjose
December 18th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Linux is wife... you can keep her doing experiment and adding gadgets( dress, rings, cars)and works more fine till end
windows - prostitute... ready made you cant try more change.. get decease more (virus and spyware)

I have something better

Linux is your wife... you can keep her doing experiment and adding gadgets( dress, rings, cars)and works more fine till end

Windows is a prostitute... ready made and tested by professionals, cant try more changes.. performance gets affected by virus(AIDS)

:lolflag:

let_there_be_linux
January 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
i keep posting every new linux quote i find here, sorry i just love this thread :P so here's the one i found now:

Mastercard Linux parody:

Two hours of broadband to ftp the Linux package: 15cents
CD's to burn the ISO's: $1
the knowledge that nothing on your computer is from Microsoft(tm): Priceless
there are some operating systems that you don't need money to buy.
for everyone else, there's Windows(tm)

Ub1476
January 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
From Torvalds:

Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.

-grubby
January 17th, 2009, 12:45 AM
1: This quote is anti-Windows, not a Linux quote. It could apply to anything non MS-related
2: This quote is ancient

ticopelp
January 17th, 2009, 01:44 AM
2: This quote is ancient

So is the thread.

cardinals_fan
January 17th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Linus Torvalds quotes, some more Linuxish than others:
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph....

Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel. In fact, nobody who expects to have time left over to actually do any real kernel work will read even half. Except Alan Cox, but he's actually not human, but about a thousand gnomes working in under-ground caves in Swansea. None of the individual gnomes read all the postings either, they just work together really well.

In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd people.

Modern PCs are horrible. ACPI is a complete design disaster in every way. But we're kind of stuck with it. If any Intel people are listening to this and you had anything to do with ACPI, shoot yourself now, before you reproduce.

For example, the GPLv2 in no way limits your use of the software. If you're a mad scientist, you can use GPLv2'd software for your evil plans to take over the world ("Sharks with lasers on their heads!!"), and the GPLv2 just says that you have to give source code back. And that's OK by me. I like sharks with lasers. I just want the mad scientists of the world to pay me back in kind. I made source code available to them, they have to make their changes to it available to me. After that, they can fry me with their shark-mounted lasers all they want.

bruce89
January 17th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Note that nobody reads every post in linux-kernel. In fact, nobody who expects to have time left over to actually do any real kernel work will read even half. Except Alan Cox, but he's actually not human, but about a thousand gnomes working in under-ground caves in Swansea. None of the individual gnomes read all the postings either, they just work together really well.

Good to see he's not as hostile to GNOME as he used to be.

JoshuaRL
January 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Well, to be honest its one in Paultag's tagbot. Go to ##beginners-dev to check it out. That bot is hot.

you | !bofh
tagbot| [JoshuaRL] And cut his access down to minesweeper level

But that's less because its by me than how we used to use it all the time.

doorknob60
January 17th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Linux Quotes =/= Anti-MS quotes, but Anti-MS ones are still funny:

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.

phrostbyte
January 17th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Linux, the choice of a GNU generation. -Anon?

Linux is a cancer that attaches itself to everything it touches. -Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft

The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. -Linus

See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like Linux, you have to be a sneaky ******* too -Linus

abhilashm86
January 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
to mention my favorites,
*)Either throw Windows out of your computer, or throw your computer out of the window!
*)"Teaching children to use Windows is like teaching them to smoke tobacco—in a world where only one company sells tobacco."-Richard M. Stallman
*)Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in Unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the pond
*)Linux...... the quickest way to feel like a genius and an idiot in the same moment! i'm sure u ppl felt this way!!!!!!

Martje_001
January 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Sorry, if I'm violating any rules, but: Da he ye mooi doan mien jong!
Ik denk nie dat hie dat hef edoan, hoar!

JillSwift
January 17th, 2009, 11:27 AM
The coolest Linux related quote I've ever heard was uttered by a fellow who wanted to try it out, and after I loaned him my laptop for a few days he said:

"Well, that was rather a bit cooler than I had expected."

(He's now an Arch Linux user.)

let_there_be_linux
January 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalnewbee View Post
Sorry, if I'm violating any rules, but: Da he ye mooi doan mien jong!
Ik denk nie dat hie dat hef edoan, hoar!

ik hen hem nie zelf hemakt, ma wel goe kopierd \\:D/

let_there_be_linux
February 26th, 2009, 09:30 PM
i was gonna copy the best, but there are so many, i thought id just put the link

http://www.junauza.com/2008/01/top-50-linux-quotes-of-all-time.html

of course there are a few we have seen here before

Name change
February 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM
OK this quote is a bit KDE specific, but I still find it to be really good.
It was written in a thread (http://forum.kde.org/linus-on-kde4-t-28218-2.html) (post #20) about Linus jumping from KDE to Gnome.

Some people need gods, idols or icons; they are free to follow Linus Torvalds, or anyone else, blindly.

But, fortunately for KDE, new Linux users nor *BSD users nor users looking for an alternative for Microsoft nor users willing to try some other UI for Mac nor Solaris users looking for a decent GUI, see Linus Torvalds as a god, idol or icon. They look for quality, without caring about the opinion of someone who was someone in a different field and/or a different era.

So, if people want to switch to a different DE because Linus Torvalds does, let them. They're punnishing theirselves more than they're punnishing us. Maybe they'll be back, maybe they won't. We'll see.

I sincerely hope that this is true for Linux community in a whole.
But I'm sometimes not so sure.

And another more computer centric quote instead of Microsoft bashing as most of quotes here:

The awe and veneration once accorded to gods who supposedly controlled human destinies now belongs to the machines.
-David Lyon Information Society
It's a sig in some of my Linux forums... I really like it.
because it's open to interpretation whether this is a good or bad or even if it's a correct view or if it's similar to gods of yesteryears in a way that we put hope and faith in them but they give nothing to assure that hope and faith...

Ibrahim mufeed
August 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM
What about this one:

"Why to use Windows since there is a door?!!"

Regards,