PDA

View Full Version : itunes license

dbbolton
January 21st, 2007, 01:05 AM
THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE. are they serious ?

because i just downloaded the version for the DeathCheater 3000's OS; i was hoping grampa joe could listen to the Dixie Chicks before his lung craps out.

banjobacon
January 21st, 2007, 02:47 AM
I saw this recently on either a blog or forum post. Turns out it's a fairly common part of most software licenses. Just do a Google search for "nuclear facilities software license".

saulgoode
January 21st, 2007, 03:09 AM
Of all proprietary licenses, my favorite was the one from HavenTree Software Limited's Interactive EasyFlow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_easyflow) (you should be able to find a copy of it in your 'fortunes' file).

NeoLithium
January 21st, 2007, 03:15 AM
Well, life support machines are sensetive; same reason doctors don't take their own cell phones in, or sometimes, depending on the hospital, even their pagers. Good thing Apple has that down; I'll remember that the next time I wanna take my iPod to Chernobyl though...

Polygon
January 21st, 2007, 03:59 AM
its just because they dont want to get sued for their software having bugs in it and causing death (s), if they were using apple software to power an airplane or a life support system (or something... i dunno lol)

MkfIbK7a
January 21st, 2007, 04:23 AM
believe me if ubuntu wasnt free it would have some thing like this

Disclaimer:
The ubuntu developers are not in any way responsible for deaths caused by using this operating system as a control for anything important, we are alsoi not responsible for any data lost in the use of this system.

banjobacon
January 21st, 2007, 05:30 AM
believe me if ubuntu wasnt free it would have some thing like this

The GPL is free, and it does have something like that. I assume this applies to most software provided in Ubuntu.

NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

12. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

MkfIbK7a
January 21st, 2007, 05:32 AM
The last couple of clauses in the GPL relate to its lack of warranty.

lol thats ironic the whole reason it has that disclaimer is because it IS free:lolflag:

FuturePilot
January 21st, 2007, 06:26 AM
Why would anyone run iTunes on a nuclear power plant?:p
:lolflag:

MkfIbK7a
January 21st, 2007, 06:30 AM

heheh!!!!!!!!!

:lolflag: :lolflag: :lolflag:

zenwhen
January 21st, 2007, 06:44 AM
Lawsuits are so crazy these days that companies want to make sure they have their bases covered.

dbbolton
January 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM
my generator in the backyard runs windows media player. when the power gets low, Air Supply kicks on.

freebeer
January 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM

How do you run a nuclear power plant without heavy metal?

:D