PDA

View Full Version : I can't get ANY thing to program in

ArenaSkill
January 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hey all,

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I can't seem to find any compiler to program in that works. It's probably me, but jeez there has to be at least one program that is easy to install and get the compiler running. I tried Jedit for Java but when I click on the icon nothing ever shows. I really wanted something simlar to Dev c++ on windows for my C++ stuff... can anybody direct me to wisdom here? Thanks

an.echte.trilingue
January 20th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Do you mean something like sudo apt-get install build-essential ? That will install gcc, at least...

Wybiral
January 20th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Try python... It's already installed in ubuntu, just open up a text file and enter your program... try...

Save this as "hello.py"

print "Hello Wordl!"

Then go to the command line and type "python hello.py"

There are also editors for python that some people prefer over a text editor. I hear SPE is good.

You can also compile C++ programs from the command line too, but once again, people will probably complain that thats too much work... If you want an IDE, anjuta is pretty good.

You can find SPE and anjuta in your synaptic package manager.

Mirrorball
January 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I really wanted something simlar to Dev c++ on windows for my C++ stuff... can anybody direct me to wisdom here? Thanks
Then you don't want just a compiler, you want an IDE. ;) Eclipse, Anjuta, KDeveloper, NetBeans, SPE...

ArenaSkill
January 21st, 2007, 03:55 AM
Yea sorry guys, I did mean IDE, just took it for granted you would know, *don't ask me why" So, I have tried netbeans and eclipse and can't get them installed... but I will try *yet* again. Thanks for the advice

hod139
January 21st, 2007, 03:57 AM
I wrote this howto for installing eclipse. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=201378)