PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this could work?

tocky
January 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM
For those whom do not wish read all the nonsens in this post, read only the in short, note, and problem.

Today it has been a long day with searching on the internet for information of OS's. From how they're built, and which one's better then the other etc. And 90 % of the things you read on the net is jadda jadda. Mostly because people that actually know anything doesn't even bother talking with those which do not. Anyhow, various posts about Windows vs. Linux, and why Linux doesn't go anywhere etc. Got me thinking about an idea that most likely won't work but I want to see what you think.

Opensource has many bright sides, and a few dark ones too, but there's one that is a bit darker then the rest. The power of Opensource developement is relly hard to controll and distribute. For example only great hackers can start an opensource project, which often makes the projects very difficult for users. And all this beacuse the experianced thinks that it's a piece of cake to compile software etc. but most user find it hard to start a webbrowser. (a wee bit of exaguration)

But what if there was a community where people that have ideas, similar to those posted on kde-look.org for the kde4 brainstorm etc. And people could present their ideas, and hope some developers can help with programming the project.

In short: Do you think that it's possible to create a community that people (programmers or not) are able put up projects, where programmers can help develope the project.

Note. I'm talking about real documentation for projects, not like a child says, make me the perfect OS, I want it to be pink and be able to fly. I mean real documentation as pictures for a shell, with thorough explanation.

Problem: It's probably hard or even impossible to get volunteers (developers) for these kind of projects, though they probably want payment for the job.

runningwithscissors
January 20th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Problem with that idea is that people don't really know what a program is or is not capable of doing, or how easy or difficult it may be to bolt on additional features to it.

Which leads to idiotic feature lists, whinging, and pointing to other programs and saying, "but that Apple program does this!"

No thanks. Let those who develop carry on with what they can manage. They are users too, and they have researched a lot more about the kind of software they are writing than users who have little idea of software development.

raul_
January 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
It's a good idea but i don't think it's any different of what already exists.. You know software don't exist because some "hacker" thought "Hey i want to do this" and BAM it's done. Take a look at the number of packages in the repositories. They're over 10.000! I don't know what's your idea (honestly, maybe i understood it wrong) but i think things are working well :-k

I personally don't find the apps hard..maybe some of them are different for some people because they're command line based, but i REALLY can't remember of any hard application right now (the usual ones of course...music, browsing, doc viewing, messenger, mail....)

PS: you can always e-mail program developers with suggestions...i did that a couple of times

aysiu
January 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Sounds to me like this idea:
A New Idea: Forum Ambassadors (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278375&highlight=ambassadors)

tocky
January 20th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Sounds to me like this idea:
A New Idea: Forum Ambassadors (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278375&highlight=ambassadors)

Well this is limited to Ubuntu, it's a pretty good idea though, but my suggestion is a bit more then that. It's not restricted to anything, it can be the base of a new kernel, shell a whole OS, or simply just a program. The problem (at least I think is a problem) is that all these developers, are not fully used (I don't mean used as exploited, but they've got much more potential and it's a waste of talent to not make use of it), which probably holdes opensource back big time. The opensource idea doens't come even close to it's potential before it has started to evolve a great project already. But for that there's need for a or a bunch of "hackers" that start on something then other come along. Just imagine how much more could be created and how far we would be in computer/science if the process could be more efficient.

raul_
January 21st, 2007, 01:12 AM
But for that there's need for a or a bunch of "hackers" that start on something then other come along.

Where do you got this idea from?

tocky
January 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Where do you got this idea from?

Well I don't have any statistics but when I look at many opensource projects, there's almost always someone or a small group that start something on their own and then others come along. I've never seen that there's a person that says, hey I've got an idea, I can't code but I believe hat's a great idea can someone code it for me? (It might exist though but I've never seen one, but even if it does exist in very small amounts, it would gain the whole "opensource community" if there were more of this.

maniacmusician
January 21st, 2007, 10:07 AM
Well I don't have any statistics but when I look at many opensource projects, there's almost always someone or a small group that start something on their own and then others come along. I've never seen that there's a person that says, hey I've got an idea, I can't code but I believe hat's a great idea can someone code it for me? (It might exist though but I've never seen one, but even if it does exist in very small amounts, it would gain the whole "opensource community" if there were more of this.
that's because programmers work on whatever they want to work on, and they have enough on their plate doing that. If there's someone out there with programming skills that has any desire to actively do it, then they already are.

Aside from that, if you really want to get something coded and you can't do it, you should put a bounty on it; there's several places where you can do this. It requires the expenditure of money, of course, and cheap people don't like that :p

There are also feature requests, mailing lists, and contact points so that you can reach developers and tell them what you'd like to see. I understand your idea is a little different, but don't really support it. It wouldn't attract a lot of developers at all. The hard pressed ones will be going after bounties, the really dedicated ones will already be working on something, and whatever ones would be left simply wouldn't want to do it.

You're looking at it from a user's point of view, and in that perspective, it seems very great, to the extent that it's just fantastical. From a developer's point of view, it's more like a nightmare.

dvarsam
January 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Hello!

...But what if there was a community where people that have ideas...
And people could present their ideas & hope some developers can help with programming the project.

In short: Do you think that it's possible to create a community that people (programmers or not) are able put up projects, where programmers can help develop the project.

IMHO, the above is a very good idea!
However, in order for this to work, the developers must truly believe in your idea, in order to implement it.
Besides, they won't get paid for it - from what I understand here...
So, it must be a really good one!

In some sort, this is already done in the following manner:

If you take a look at people's specs filed for Feisty Fawn v7.04 - here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+specs

You will notice that there are a lot of suggestions created there.
However, only some of them have made it up to here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty/+specs
The later URL is the true/accepted projects being implemented for Feisty.

Of course, that does not mean that IF you are a programmer you can't implement your own suggestion/design filed in the former URL above.
And also it doesn't mean either that IF you are a plain/simple user, that a programmer won't implement your idea... (if he truly likes it - he will!!!)

In fact, you will see many "specs" filed in the first URL, already finished/implemented, even though they are NOT listed in the "specs" of the later URL.

Problems:
What if your idea is really new - something that has not been implemented yet & requires filing a Patent to protect it from being copied by others?

Problem: It's probably hard or even impossible to get volunteers (developers) for these kind of projects, though they probably want payment for the job.

Based on the fact that most Ubuntu projects are developed with NO payment involved, this could be possible.
But you will have to convince a programmer, that what you are suggesting is worth it for him (& the rest of the users) to actually implement it.

Thanks.

P.S.> Also, in order to be able to communicate with the programmer & explain what you want your "idea" to do, you would have to build on your communication skills with the programmer. The programmers use "computer terminology" which common users are not acquainted with...

tocky
January 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Yes, I pretty much got the response and feedback as I expected, but it's always better to listen to other's then make your own assumptions. I think I'll use the saying "If you want something done, you'll have to do it yourself" a bit more often :lolflag:

aysiu
January 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM
Yes, I pretty much got the response and feedback as I expected, but it's always better to listen to other's then make your own assumptions. I think I'll use the saying "If you want something done, you'll have to do it yourself" a bit more often :lolflag:
... or pay for it.