PDA

View Full Version : ANNOUNCE: Jabber is now selectable as an IM contact option

Brunellus
January 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks to the tireless efforts of ubuntu-geek (and the equally-tireless nagging from me and RAV_TUX), jabber is now selectable as an IM contact option in your control panel.

While many of us use other IM clients, jabber is the only truly free and open IM client out there. We at ubuntuforums endorse jabber as our PREFERRED IM client.

This is how to set up Jabber for Ubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jabber?highlight=%28jabber%29)

Have a look at the Jabber FAQ (http://www.jabber.org/user/userfaq.shtml)

RAV TUX
January 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks to the tireless efforts of ubuntu-geek (and the equally-tireless nagging from me and RAV_TUX), jabber is now selectable as an IM contact option in your control panel.

While many of us use other IM clients, jabber is the only truly free and open IM client out there. We at ubuntuforums endorse jabber as our PREFERRED IM client.

This is how to set up Jabber for Ubuntu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jabber?highlight=%28jabber%29)

Have a look at the Jabber FAQ (http://www.jabber.org/user/userfaq.shtml)

This is simply awesome...I encourage all ubuntuforums.org members to spread the word and try to get in the habit of using jabber exclusively...

my jabber ID is: cafesabayon@jabber.org

scrooge_74
January 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Maybe jabber can be promoted between Ubuntu users as "the way" to communicate, it could give an extra sense of community

EDIT: I have a jabber account! scrooge_74@jabber.org

Brunellus
January 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Maybe jabber can be promoted between Ubuntu users as "the way" to communicate, it could give an extra sense of community
this is the hope.

ButteBlues
January 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM
This is fantastic news.

scrooge_74
January 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Everybody should put this thread in the signature

RAV TUX
January 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Everybody should put this thread in the signaturethis would help spread the word:guitar:

Majlo
January 21st, 2007, 06:47 AM
=d>

Great work !

BWF89
January 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM
What if were using the Google version of Jabber? Do we just put in our Gmail addresses?

ButteBlues
January 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM
What if were using the Google version of Jabber? Do we just put in our Gmail addresses?
Yeah.

eg: wcfarrington@gmail.com

Lord Illidan
January 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Yep, I guess so..

Mine is lotrlordillidan@gmail.com . Drop in anytime.

BWF89
January 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM
You guys should make whatever you did to get Jabber in the IM options avalible to other places using vBulleton software. Mabye even try to get it included in the next release.

Drop in anytime.
I'll send you a message next time I see you on.

The only worry I have about putting our Jabber names on here is that they might be harvested by spam bots.

LookTJ
January 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
AWESOME!! Open Source rule! finally no more jabber in signature!

Edit #1: btw thank you ubuntu-geek

Corbelius
January 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Good news :)

mand0
January 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
rolldabass at gmail dot com

How do I go about getting an @jabber account? I do not want to be tied to Google.

Brunellus
January 22nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
check the "how to" linked in my sig.

atoponce
January 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
This is great news. I am all for pushing the Jabber protocol as the preferred IM system. I make the occasional sacrifice from friends and family who don't Jabber. I don't ask that they ditch their existing protocol, just if they want to chat with me, sign up for a Jabber account, or use their existing Gmail account.

Anyway, this is great news. Thanks a bunch!

XVampireX
January 22nd, 2007, 06:53 PM
Very good news, and even though I have an MSN account, and if I know someone who also has jabber (and online in both) I'd pick Jabber any time :) though I wish I could find a 100% stable server.

Here's my jabber account (You can always also check it via that lightbulb icon near stats): XVampireX@kdetalk.com

RAV TUX
January 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
rolldabass@gmail.com

How do I go about getting an @jabber account? I do not want to be tied to Google.

BWF89
January 23rd, 2007, 03:08 AM
2 days and only 325 views? We should do something to get the word out about Jabber.

I did a poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343556) and the majority of users are using the Microsoft protocol to IM. Every Linux user should atleast have a Jabber account, even if they hardly ever use it. In the era of multi-protocol IM clients theres really no reason not to.

scrooge_74
January 23rd, 2007, 03:18 AM
2 days and only 325 views? We should do something to get the word out about Jabber.

I did a poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343556) and the majority of users are using the Microsoft protocol to IM. Every Linux user should atleast have a Jabber account, even if they hardly ever use it. In the era of multi-protocol IM clients theres really no reason not to.

It also depends how long have you been online. I have MSN from the begining, I had yahoo as soon as I got tired of MSN (I remember my Yahoo mail account had more space than many of my friends years ago) Stoped using ICQ a long time ago. I use skype for work.

And now I have a jabber account to keep up with the spirit of the community, you should do a poll on how many people her have jabber accounts

BWF89
January 23rd, 2007, 03:52 AM
And now I have a jabber account to keep up with the spirit of the community, you should do a poll on how many people her have jabber accounts
Jabber is an option in my IM poll.

xabbott
January 24th, 2007, 08:55 AM
feel free to add me and im
http://services.nexodyne.com/email/icon/64iqF8l9.A%3D%3D/j2ubsoM%3D/R01haWw%3D/0/image.png

Ben Sprinkle
January 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM
goat_spirit@jabber.org
Thanks! :)

Corbelius
January 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
mmm... someone knows which ports uses jabber to send files? i use a router-firewall.

Polygon
January 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM
i just created a jabber account, even i dont have any friends that use it, if anyone wants to contact me with it, go ahead :D

RAV TUX
January 28th, 2007, 02:33 AM
i just created a jabber account, even i dont have any friends that use it, if anyone wants to contact me with it, go ahead :Dcool glad to see you support Jabber

Polygon
January 28th, 2007, 02:44 AM
mmm... someone knows which ports uses jabber to send files? i use a router-firewall.

15. I'm behind a firewall, can I use Jabber?
If your firewall administrators will allow outgoing connections to port 5222 (5223 for SSL), you can use Jabber without any worries. If not, some Jabber clients support the ability to talk through at least certain kinds of proxy servers (most often SOCKS servers). In addition, some Jabber developers are working on an http service that will enable you to use Jabber over the web, but it is still alpha code.

Spr0k3t
January 28th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Adding my Jabber information now. I support it and encourage it.

eriqk
January 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM
My brand spanking new JID is dwaes [at] jabber [dot] xs4all [dot] nl

Groet, Erik

irish_flu
January 30th, 2007, 03:07 AM
W00t, thanks to this thread I'm now irish_flu(AT)jabber.org

xmastree
January 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
and I'm chrismastree at gmail
However, I have a question... Why is this such a big deal?

According to the OP, ubuntu-geek has put in a lot of work to make this happen. In what way? I just signed in with my gmail account, and it seemed so easy, just like signing in with my yahoo account was.

Whilst I'm sure there was a lot of effort involved, I'm just curious as to what was required to make it happen so easily.

Brunellus
January 30th, 2007, 10:02 PM
and I'm chrismastree at gmail
However, I have a question... Why is this such a big deal?

According to the OP, ubuntu-geek has put in a lot of work to make this happen. In what way? I just signed in with my gmail account, and it seemed so easy, just like signing in with my yahoo account was.

Whilst I'm sure there was a lot of effort involved, I'm just curious as to what was required to make it happen so easily.
teh forums software did not support adding "jabber" as an IM contact option until u-g made it so.

xmastree
January 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Ah, the forums. I see now. I thought something had been done to allow the use of jabber accounts with gaim. #-o

BWF89
February 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
nvm

BWF89
February 3rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
nvm

slimdog360
February 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
okay laugh at me if you want but I cant figure it out. How does one obtain a whatever@jabber.org account? Ive looked all over the site but I cant find anything to let me join.

xmastree
February 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
From what I understand (and it had me fooled too) you just try to login with the name you want. If it's available, that's it. You're in!

Polygon
February 4th, 2007, 01:14 AM
if you want a jabber.org account or a account basically anywhere on some other jabber server, you just gotta try to login with your desired name and it will ask you for your password and all that and afterwards, you just login like normal with your normal password.

if it gives you an error or something, that means that account name is taken. try a different one

slimdog360
February 4th, 2007, 01:52 AM
well that sure was a pain. Someone took slimdog360 already so Ive got nick_j@jabber.org

mangz74
February 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM
wow..jabber...kewl..lemme change mine...:)

sloggerkhan
February 5th, 2007, 12:29 PM
now have slogger@jabber.org.

reacocard
February 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Sweet. I'm reacocard@jabber.org

darweth
February 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
sup!

i have never used jabber before but i am now darweth@jabber.org

maybe it will be useful someday!

Trisa
February 8th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the hard work with the Jabber contact option. Just added my Jabber account now. :)

DivineOmega
February 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Hey. I'm using Jabber now (DivineOmega@jabber.org) but have very few friends who use it. Most use Microsoft's Protocol.

What convincing arguments could to I use to show the advantages of Jabber over proprietary protocol's such as Microsoft? And possibly convert a few friends?

Feel free to contact me on my Jabber account any time. :)

scrooge_74
February 9th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Hey. I'm using Jabber now (DivineOmega@jabber.org) but have very few friends who use it. Most use Microsoft's Protocol.

What convincing arguments could to I use to show the advantages of Jabber over proprietary protocol's such as Microsoft? And possibly convert a few friends?

That is going to be difficult, maybe you can convince them to use as another way to communicate. For me is a very usefull way of talking to friends who have accounts in Gmail since I rather not have another account (I just have to many to be checking every day)

Brunellus
February 9th, 2007, 04:13 PM
That is going to be difficult, maybe you can convince them to use as another way to communicate. For me is a very usefull way of talking to friends who have accounts in Gmail since I rather not have another account (I just have to many to be checking every day)
it's become my IM of choice for Ubuntu-related communications. that is, when I'm not on freenode.

reacocard
February 9th, 2007, 11:39 PM

One thing you can show them is how to use a Jabber 'transport' to talk with their MSN/AIM/Yahoo buddies, all from their Jabber account. That's not only cool, but useful too.

DivineOmega
February 10th, 2007, 12:33 AM
One thing you can show them is how to use a Jabber 'transport' to talk with their MSN/AIM/Yahoo buddies, all from their Jabber account. That's not only cool, but useful too.

How does one set up a transport in GAIM? Is it possible as I have never come across the option?

reacocard
February 10th, 2007, 12:48 AM
How does one set up a transport in GAIM? Is it possible as I have never come across the option?

I'm not sure. What I would recommend is just using a Jabber-native client like Gajim to set it up. After it's set up, Gaim will have no trouble using the transport and you can remove Gajim if you like.

DivineOmega
February 10th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure. What I would recommend is just using a Jabber-native client like Gajim to set it up. After it's set up, Gaim will have no trouble using the transport and you can remove Gajim if you like.

I've just been looking into myself. According to http://gaim.sourceforge.net/protocol.php#jabber GAIM does not support subscribing to Jabber transports but can use them if created in other clients, as you suggest.

mykalreborn
February 11th, 2007, 12:39 AM
reborn579@gmail.com
ok so it's not absoultely open source, but it works.
if you want to talk about spirituality or if you want a semi-amatuer shrink to help you with some of your problems :D you give me a ring ;)

beerfan
February 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Wow, great to see the forums finally support my favorite IM protocol. Thanks for the hard work.

Here's a couple of bits of info I haven't seen anyone mention yet.

There are a couple of great Jabber clients other than Gaim. Gajim and Gossip are Jabber only clients so if you want to make the switch completely that's the way to go. These clients are much simpler to use than Gaim since they don't need to support a ton of protocols.

Second, it is possible to add other transports to your jabber account with a client that supports service discovery. XMPP (the Jabber protocol) has the potential to be much more than just an IM protocol. It supports conference rooms (IRC replacement), presence (you can be logged into multiple clients in separate locations simultaneously and messages will be routed to the correct client), media transfer (via protocol extensions like Google's Jingle and others like SIP and video which are still in development and testing), and will in time support almost any collaborative need imaginable since it's so flexible and...open! A Jabber transport is essentially a proxy or protocol translator that converts other IM protocols to XMPP and vice versa. You can even subscribe to transports that are hosted on other servers than the one hosting your Jabber address. For example, open up your Jabber client (Gajim for example) and do a service discovery on a server that has some transports (don't bother trying talk.google.com because it has no services). The gajim.org server, for example, has a conference room service and has an MSN transport. You'll have to google for a server that hosts the specific transport you need (partial list here http://www.jabber.org/user/publicservers.shtml) and then do a service discovery on that server. Then you can subscribe to that transport with your client, using your existing account in the corresponding protocol. As a warning, other IM protocols do not support presence so you couldn't be logged into MSN, for example, with your Jabber account and your MSN account at the same time (if you had both accounts in Gaim for example). Once you have subscribed to a transport any contacts available via that transport will be available in any client you use. I've had MSN and AIM accounts added to my gmail account and used them in Google Talk as an example.

As a disclaimer, I don't claim to be a Jabber guru, though I've been using it for a while and have read a bit about the technical implementations, so if I've made any errors here I beg your pardon and please correct me. ;-)

beerfan
February 13th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I just googled for other Jabber clients to see what's new. The Jabbin client is a fork of the Psi client, which I forgot to mention earlier, which integrates Jingle and can reportedly VoIP with GTalk. I'll be trying this client out shortly.

http://www.jabbin.com/int/

There is also a couple of command-line jabber clients out there. There's one called freetalk in Ubuntu repositories and another called IMCom that seems, perhaps, less developed.

Noah0504
February 13th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I have Jabber, but I don't know anyone who uses it. :(

My Jabber name is Noah0504@jabber.org. Someone drop me a line sometime!

StickyStyle
February 16th, 2007, 07:26 AM
So since jabber has become the 'preferred' method for the forum, shouldn't a real jabber client (not GAIM) be installed by default with Ubuntu? gajim is pretty nice, and supports a lot of the features that make jabber nice.

reacocard
February 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM
So since jabber has become the 'preferred' method for the forum, shouldn't a real jabber client (not GAIM) be installed by default with Ubuntu? gajim is pretty nice, and supports a lot of the features that make jabber nice.

I agree. Gajim works excellently, and with Jabber's transports, there's really no need to use Gaim for msn/yahoo/aim. I think it unlikely that this will happen though, since setting up transports isn't as easy as Gaim is for new users.

Brunellus
February 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I agree. Gajim works excellently, and with Jabber's transports, there's really no need to use Gaim for msn/yahoo/aim. I think it unlikely that this will happen though, since setting up transports isn't as easy as Gaim is for new users.
I'm conflicted on this.

On the one hand, I really like jabber. I use it (and IRC) for my ubuntu-related communications.

On the other, I have contacts on other networks.

GAIM is the best solution for me, as it's good enough on enough networks to serve my needs.

beerfan
February 17th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Gajim is mature and stable enough to be installed as the default Jabber client. It also follows the gnome UI guidelines (whatever those are called), something which Gaim doesn't even do.

I wouldn't argue that it is preferable to promote jabber transports as a replacement for other IM protocols though. Servers that host any of the protocol transports have been known to have differing versions, have stability issues, and other things which make transports less reliable than using a native client. That being said, there is only one real native client (that made by the owner of the protocol) so even third party clients have issues from time to time.

Promoting XMPP and Jabber is something that Ubuntu should do though and it would be nice to see a Jabber client installed by default.

Brunellus
February 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Gajim is mature and stable enough to be installed as the default Jabber client. It also follows the gnome UI guidelines (whatever those are called), something which Gaim doesn't even do.

I wouldn't argue that it is preferable to promote jabber transports as a replacement for other IM protocols though. Servers that host any of the protocol transports have been known to have differing versions, have stability issues, and other things which make transports less reliable than using a native client. That being said, there is only one real native client (that made by the owner of the protocol) so even third party clients have issues from time to time.

Promoting XMPP and Jabber is something that Ubuntu should do though and it would be nice to see a Jabber client installed by default.
GAIM is enough of a XMPP client. it's multi-protocol, and serves the greatest utility. Of all my contacts, probably fewer than ten percent are XMPP (whether jabber or gtalk). Adding an additional chat client to the install is needless bloat.

That said, there's nothing that stops GNUsene (GNewsense? Nuiscance?) from adopting Gajim as their default client, as the entire XMPP chain is Free Software, while other IM protocols are not.

Noah0504
February 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM
That said, there's nothing that stops GNUsene (GNewsense? Nuiscance?) from adopting Gajim as their default client, as the entire XMPP chain is Free Software, while other IM protocols are not.
gNewSense. :)

Well, I agree. I have too many friends that use other protocols for me to use Gajim. While I could use transports, it's just easier to use Gaim.

DivineOmega
February 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
gNewSense. :)

Well, I agree. I have too many friends that use other protocols for me to use Gajim. While I could use transports, it's just easier to use Gaim.

Plus AFAIK Jabber transports do not (yet?) support file transfers over other protocols, which is something that would be too inconvenient for me to do without.

diskotek
March 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
i'm using GAIM and my jabber id is my gmail address: i've added my id and selected gmail.com as server. that's ok, right?

dostster (at) gmail (dot) com

StickyStyle
March 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM
i'm using GAIM and my jabber id is my gmail address: i've added my id and selected gmail.com as server. that's ok, right?

dostster (at) gmail (dot) com

Check the following page on how to setup GAIM with gtalk...
http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24073

(The short answer is no, you use 'talk.google.com' for the server)

diskotek
March 14th, 2007, 06:07 PM
thank you, so i can not talk with jabber accounts owner. just with gtalk users.. hmm, i think i need to have a jabber id then.

StickyStyle
March 14th, 2007, 06:16 PM
thank you, so i can not talk with jabber accounts owner. just with gtalk users.. hmm, i think i need to have a jabber id then.

You should be able to talk to anyone on the jabber 'network', your gmail address IS your jabber id (aka JID). Try adding someone else with a jabber id to your roster, you can use me if you like for testing.

tribaal
March 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Awesome :)

- trib'

alinuxfan
April 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM
yeah I am having a similar issue with talking to jabber people
I will try adding one of you on here
mine is agjennings at gmail dot com

alinuxfan

scrooge_74
April 10th, 2007, 11:15 PM
The problem is talking from Gmail accounts using GAIM to Jabber users?

I just want to know....

Since I dont have a Gmail account, but using a jabber id I can talk to people using Gtalk

factotum218
April 28th, 2007, 10:27 PM

EDIT: I have a jabber account! scrooge_74@jabber.org

Didn't know segrigation was still popular in this day and age.

scrooge_74
April 29th, 2007, 08:44 PM
It seems you dont read the newspapers or you would have notice it has never gone out of fashion

RAV TUX
April 30th, 2007, 04:35 AM
This is simply awesome...I encourage all ubuntuforums.org members to spread the word and try to get in the habit of using jabber exclusively...

my jabber ID is: cafesabayon@jabber.org

Jabber account has changed to: OZma@jabber.org

Brunellus
May 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Didn't know segrigation was still popular in this day and age.
it is not a question of segregation. It is a question of supporting and using a totally Free Software IM system.

I maintain my other IM accounts, but I only list Jabber here.

StickyStyle
May 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Segregation is a pretty loaded word to be throwing around for something such as this.

If I where to even consider using the word in this context (and straight from the dictionary definition), I would have to say that all other IM networks are much more segregated that jabber based on the fact they keep you in there own little area. Heck with Jabber you can use transports and be connected to every network...hardly segregated (as an individual).

Plus as mentioned, it is about supporting FOSS.

scrooge_74
May 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM
it is not a question of segregation. It is a question of supporting and using a totally Free Software IM system.

I also have other IM accounts, but to show support I only post my Jabber account so any user of the forum can contact me if needed and avoid people just popping up on my personal Yahoo account.

In this way I also support open source I dont have to be chain to a service and I dont have to have google account to talk to people using Gtalk.

Steve H
May 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Well, I've signed up for Jabber, but no-one I know is using it. But I'm all for supporting it as the Ubuntu preferred messenger so here is my ID: steve_herron@jabber.me.uk

Add me or just msg me.....it's all good.

:)

scrooge_74
May 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
You can also talk with any friend who uses Gtalk

electragician
May 6th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I'm a returning Linux user. I used Fedora Core for a long time, then I transitioned to a PPC Mac. I'm now back on an x86 machine and back on Linux, with Ubuntu being my new favorite distro.

I've created a jabber.org account but I don't have anyone to talk to :) If anyone wants to add me to their contact list, please do so... my information is in my sig below.

My main interest are motorcycles and just about anything to do with computers, and Ubuntu/linux.

RAV TUX
May 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM

Your a good man.

phibxr
May 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Ah, finally. Been waiting for this a long time. Too bad I didn't notice it until five months after it was implemented though. Thanks. :)

Bou
May 17th, 2007, 03:40 PM

I wonder if I can use Gaim to contact people from the forums.

scrooge_74
May 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Yes you can using any of the supported protocols, including jabber

matchstich
May 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM
i'm there,cept i don't use im that much. most times i do not even turn it on.

dannyboy79
June 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
i can't seem to get my jabber (XMAPP) with my gmail account to work with Feisty Gaim OR Gutsy Pidgin. Can anyone suggest something to me, please?

reacocard
June 7th, 2007, 06:40 PM
i can't seem to get my jabber (XMAPP) with my gmail account to work with Feisty Gaim OR Gutsy Pidgin. Can anyone suggest something to me, please?

Use Gajim instead. It works perfectly for me on Feisty.

dannyboy79
June 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Use Gajim instead. It works perfectly for me on Feisty.

What is Gajim? Also, this doesn't answer my basic question, what settings and or server do I need to use to get my Jabber (XMAPP) to work by using my gmail account???

reacocard
June 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM
What is Gajim? Also, this doesn't answer my basic question, what settings and or server do I need to use to get my Jabber (XMAPP) to work by using my gmail account???

Gajim is a different IM client (its in the repos). For GAIM/Pidgin, http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24073

steeleyuk
June 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
steeley.uk (at) googlemail.com for anyone that cares...

John.Michael.Kane
June 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Open Pidgin click add

Select XMPP for the protocol
Screen name your gmail name (without @gmail.com)
Server gmail.com
Resource PIDGIN
Password the same one you use to log in to gmail.
Local alias Whatever name you want to be known by.

Click save, and you should be golden.

steeleyuk
June 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Quick question, does anyone know the maximum dimensions and file size a profile picture can be in Pidgin? Every size I try it just complains about the image being too big.

dannyboy79
June 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Open Pidgin click add

Select XMPP for the protocol
Screen name your gmail name (without @gmail.com)
Server gmail.com
Resource PIDGIN
Password the same one you use to log in to gmail.
Local alias Whatever name you want to be known by.

Click save, and you should be golden.and I assume it's the same for gaim? I thought I tried that but I beleive it kept saying that it couldn't connect. I'll certainly try again, thank you for the detailed instructions.

John.Michael.Kane
June 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM
and I assume it's the same for gaim? I thought I tried that but I beleive it kept saying that it couldn't connect. I'll certainly try again, thank you for the detailed instructions.

Those same instructions should hold true for the non-pidgin version, only change would be the use of the Jabber for the protocol instead of XMPP, and the Resource would be GAIM

dannyboy79
June 8th, 2007, 03:03 AM
nope, it doesn't work. here's some pics:
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7104/screenshotgl8.th.png (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotgl8.png)

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/728/screenshot1nv0.th.png (http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1nv0.png)

any help please??

AlexenderReez
July 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM
mine is in my signature:)

reacocard
July 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I've updated mine because jabber.org doesn't seem to be very reliable any more. I am now reacocard@alpha-labs.net

Polygon
July 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I've updated mine because jabber.org doesn't seem to be very reliable any more. I am now reacocard@alpha-labs.net

it was like that earlier, like it would go down for no reason....... its been better about it lately though.

reacocard
July 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM
it was like that earlier, like it would go down for no reason....... its been better about it lately though.

It was down last night. The one time in over two weeks I decide to log on, and its down. Coincidence perhaps, but a server with fewer users seems likely to be up more, so I switched.

pyros
July 30th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Hooray! Open Standards!

RomeReactor
July 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Just got my account set up:

RomeReactor@gmail.com

Now to see what it's like... :D

Sayers
July 30th, 2007, 05:54 PM
How do I do this in Kubuntu?

AlexenderReez
August 26th, 2007, 07:28 PM
How do I do this in Kubuntu?

use kopete is even better in kubuntu....

drubin
March 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Jabber rocks, I develop in it!!

Are there any open server- Ubuntu groups out there??

Guitar John
April 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I went to User CP>Edit Details. I see AIM, MSN, Skype, Yahoo, and ICQ. No Jabber. No longer an option?

Pollywoggy
April 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I do not see Jabber in my CP, I only see Skype, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo and something else, but no Jabber.

I thought Jabber had been there, I vaguely remember the Jabber icon being next to my nick.

macogw
April 27th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I do not see Jabber in my CP, I only see Skype, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo and something else, but no Jabber.

I thought Jabber had been there, I vaguely remember the Jabber icon being next to my nick.
It's not in the new forum (yet?)

Pollywoggy
May 17th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I do not see the Jabber option in my CP.

Pollywoggy
May 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
It's not in the new forum (yet?)

Well I do not see it.

drubin
May 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM
It seemed to have been removed during the site upgrade also waiting for it to be put back

-grubby
May 17th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Yah..it's a plugin and the forum admins are hoping it's upgraded to the new version of vBulletin they're using. It should be back in the future. It's on the long list of things to do

doorknob60
May 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM
Yeah, I'd like it back too, but I'd rather get the thing where it says what OS you use, that's always interesting.

Jammerdelray
May 21st, 2008, 07:15 AM
Forgive me for asking, Not sure what you mean by IM Option in Control Panel. I figured out how to open the control panel but i don't see anything for IM option? I'm new so :P

Guitar John
July 7th, 2008, 12:36 AM
User CP > Edit You Details: There are boxes where you can put in your ID for ICQ Number, MSN Messenger Handle, Skype Name, AIM Screen Name, or Yahoo! Messenger Handle.

Jabber is not currently an option although it was in the old forum format.

mrgnash
July 18th, 2008, 07:01 AM
User CP > Edit You Details: There are boxes where you can put in your ID for ICQ Number, MSN Messenger Handle, Skype Name, AIM Screen Name, or Yahoo! Messenger Handle.

Jabber is not currently an option although it was in the old forum format.

Well that sucks.

drubin
August 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM
JABBER: ubuntuforums' preferred IM protocol

I often see this in people signatures. Yet this forums is not even remotely in support of this. I under that the reasons for not having it selectable as an IM option. This is purely a logistical reason with a forum of this size you really do not want to go around messing with things.

But why is every thing related to IM always IRC, instead of Jabber, I am in huge favor for things to be discussed in jabber chat rooms as apposed to IRC is there a reason for this that I may not fully understand?

Does any one disagree with me or perhaps have a valid reason why not?

Polygon
August 12th, 2008, 08:24 AM
at the time this topic was created, they actually had jabber as a contact option, and it would appear next to aim,msn and yahoo and all that.

but they upgraded the forum software and i guess the custom plugin they wrote broke and they havent had the time to rewrite it

also, irc is much more stable, more common, and has been battle tested to handle large amounts of people...im not sure if jabber chatrooms could do that.

but irc is also an open protocol, so its not that bad.

drubin
August 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM
at the time this topic was created, they actually had jabber as a contact option, and it would appear next to aim,msn and yahoo and all that.
Ye I understand this.

but they upgraded the forum software and i guess the custom plugin they wrote broke and they havent had the time to rewrite it

Yes I understand why it not there. nor was that my point

also, irc is much more stable, more common, and has been battle tested to handle large amounts of people...im not sure if jabber chatrooms could do that.

but irc is also an open protocol, so its not that bad.

So explain why your signature and others have it listed as the preferred communication means?

Also do you have proof about IRC being more stable?

Kabezon
August 12th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Mine is mkhr.90@jabberes.org, feel free to add me =]

Polygon
August 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
irc works, when you connect to the ubuntu channel (irc.freenode.net) there are many servers that different people end up connecting to, like a freenode server in the us, another in europe.. so if one goes down the entire network doesn't go down. I believe that if your running jabber, its just on one server so if that goes down, you cant sign in. the servers at jabber.org go down a lot.....

and jabber and irc are two different things. sure they allow you to chat, but irc is more geared towards the chatrooms, while jabber is built around the individual, where you have your own buddy list, you can see the status of your friends....you only see/talk to people you have added....

irc isn't a IM...its just a collection of chat rooms, which is why they use it for support, as i bet irc does chat rooms a hell of a lot better then jabber, or any other protocol.

K.Mandla
August 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure why this thread is still open; and to be honest, I'm not sure it's accurate any more. I don't know of any plans to reinstate Jabber, or if it's even functioning, but if the status changes I'm sure someone will post new information

In the mean time, since this thread is turning into a debate between clients, let's close it and let it die.