PDA

View Full Version : Switched to Linux NOW WHAT

greenwom
May 14th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Well,

I've gotten my wireless card to work (ndiswrapper linksys card)
I've gotten sound and streaming to work (I can even play a CD over a stream)
Added some aps

The only thing I'm still working on is my wacom tablet and Lphoto. Once the tablet works the Windows partion comes off.

I'd now like to widen my skills and start PROGRAMMING and getting better with Linux commands. I'm not sure what type of programming I should start with. I have no personal need for anything yet.... So what should I do?

Mike Buksas
May 14th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Good question. How are the apps you installed working for you? Anything you wish they did, or did better? Finding a personal itch to scratch is the way to go when learning to program. Contributing to an open source project is also a great way to give back to the people who write all of this stuff.

Once you've got an itch, the rest will follow. If you want to get down and dirty with the kernel, or drivers, learn C. If you want to write complex applications with lots of functionality, I recomend Python. If you want to automate stuff you do in the command window, learn bash shell. There are books and web-sites galore for learning these. Ask, and you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Also, what do you do away from the computer? Is there a missing app or tool that could help you do it better?

jerome bettis
May 14th, 2005, 02:33 AM
first off welcome to linux. it sounds like you're in the right place.

second, go over to the customizing hoary forum and check out the automate script at the top of the page. it will take care of a lot of stuff for you.

if you want to learn the command line, google could point you to several good tutorials. it's a little confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes a very powerful friend.

as far as learning to program, go over to the programming forum. there's a few threads from people just like you seeking guidance about where to get started. i recommend you sign up for a class at some college if you're serious, but you should be able to pick it up by just reading books and stuff on the internet. python seems to be the most recommended noob language, but it really doesn't matter - if you can get good with one, you can get good with them all.

greenwom
May 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Well as far as my pet peev's with my box and the apps I've got;

I'd like the WACOM TO WORK, so I can do some art in GIMP

I'd like to de-inflate the system and remove as much unneeded . Right now I have some 90 processes running. I've noticed a few hang-up and the box, a few random restarts. I also get some window trails when I've got a bit going on and I would think that wouldn't happen in Linux,... I dont get that on XP on the other partion. (I think it's a set up error).

As far as programming and development, I think I ahead of some (some newbees) and way behind others in my understanding or capabiliry to understand how something works (Electronics background).
I understand every tutorial on programming I read, I just never have the itch to move on it!
My goals are to learn Java, C++ and pearl

I also want to learn HTML, I learned everything on Dreamweaver and never had to type more then the text displayed. So I'd either like to get another app like that or get profficent with tags and style sheets :)

EDIT: I just downloaded Bluefish, doesn't look as easy as Dreamweaver :) \\:D/

poofyhairguy
May 14th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I also get some window trails when I've got a bit going on and I would think that wouldn't happen in Linux,... I dont get that on XP on the other partion. (I think it's a set up error)./

Thats the fault of Metacity, Gnome's default Window Manager. Change the deafult windowmanager in Gnome and that will stop.

greenwom
May 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Ok I'm a dummy how do I change the windows manager, I've look around ,?

TravisNewman
May 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM
depends on the window manager.

the easiest way to do it for ANY window manager is to fire up the gconf editor and change
/desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager