PDA

View Full Version : Elive 0.6 = Amazing

4KvRMU7Nnv
January 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I thought I wouldn't ever find another OS that could be up to par with Ubuntu's standards. Until I downloaded Elive.
With that said, let me introduce you to my OS fettish. I am obsessed with new OSs and I download every one that I hear anyone compliment to try it for myself. Until recently, however, I was never as impressed with them as I have been with Ubuntu. Then I tried Elive. First off, it got my Nvidia card 3D acceleration installed and working within the Live CD. Something that has never happened to me before. Sure, other OSs claim to do that, but none of them actually did. I know this isn't a big detail, but it sure added. The real thing that has converted me to Elive from Ubuntu, however, is these two things that I value most in an OS. Speed and Visual Appeal. Elive tops the charts in both catagories. While it isn't possible to get Compiz or beryl or any such things running on Enlightenment, they aren't needed. You can enable composite as I have and you will be amazed at how fast it can be.

**I really can't emphasize how fast this OS is...Really...like, for instance, take Ubuntu. Multiply the speed times 7 and you get Elive. Yes, it is that amazing. I click on an Icon literally at the same time that it starts up.**

Admittedly, I did have to reconfigure a few things to get it optimally working on my laptop that I didn't have to do with Ubuntu. All I had to do was change a few values in the xorg.conf for the touchpad sensitivity, use ndiswrapper for wireless, and reconfigure the sound card. All three of those were very simple. I loved ubuntu like it was a child, but now I'm hooked on elive. (what a crappy parent I am...playing favorites..lol)

You seriously must try elive out. ...so..fast....

Kateikyoushi
January 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
I have to admit some of their user screenshots were incredible.

manmower
January 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I'm considering trying E17. How good is support for GTK/Gnome apps though? I gather Enlightenment uses its own toolkit which doesn't have much native software available (yet)..

Chyper
January 20th, 2007, 02:03 PM
thanks

i was looking for a lightweight distro like zenwalk but with debians package manager.

i downloaded and installed elive_0.6.1(unstable).
only problem i had was the partitioner wouldn't recognize the drive so i used fdisk. after that it went flawlessly. :)

rocknrolf77
January 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I'm considering trying E17. How good is support for GTK/Gnome apps though? I gather Enlightenment uses its own toolkit which doesn't have much native software available (yet)..

No problem trying out e17. Using it now and it looks really good. Just install everything that has to do with e17 from synaptic and log out. Choose enlightenment as your session, and log in.

No problem using gnome apps here.

4KvRMU7Nnv
January 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM
About GTK themes, It does use them. Not some weird obscure Enlightenment ETK or something. So you can still use your favorite GTK themes with Elive. I don't know how to install new ones outside those that are in the synaptic becuase I don't know which folder to put them in. If someone knows, please help.

Neo40
January 20th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Its nice but it has not the latest E17 developement (or maybe I'm wrong?)

4KvRMU7Nnv
January 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM
well once you get it you just have to upgrade in synaptic

Neo40
January 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM
well once you get it you just have to upgrade in synaptic

In ubuntu, using this repository:
## E17 repository "edevelop.org"
deb http://edevelop.org/pkg-e/ubuntu edgy e17
deb-src http://edevelop.org/pkg-e/ubuntu edgy e17
I get the version 0.16.999.037

When I installed elive last week, even after upgrade in synaptic, I got only the version 0.16.999.026 (or something like that).

Well, maybe I should reinstall it to make sure... ;)

ButteBlues
January 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I am playing around with ELive on an old Pentium 2. I never thought I'd find myself saying that a Live CD would be running on that hardware, let alone FAST! =D

AgenT
January 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM
Enlightenment 17 does not support composite so I am not sure why the original poster says he enabled composite. E17 does not need composite for its graphical environment.

For using GNOME applications in E17: this is definitely possible. You can use GNOME applications in any window manager or desktop. They will just look a little different from other applications.

For help in installing custom themes, see this FAQ:
http://art.gnome.org/faq.php

Ubuntu is also not a good choice for using E17 because it lags behind and is not a distribution that the E17 developers focus on. Try Debian instead as one of the developers uses Debian and maintains an official up-to-date Debian repository. This developer also maintains the Ubuntu one but because he uses Debian, the Ubuntu repository is not his main focus. It is also more likely that something will go wrong on Ubuntu as the developer will not be testing the packages on it.