PDA

View Full Version : Can someone make an exact clone of TOTAL COMMANDER for linux?

burek
January 19th, 2007, 11:30 PM
We need as great softwares & powerful as Windows, so please ?
http://www.ghisler.com/

Thank you

EDIT : BEFORE POSTING about ALTERNATIVES, Please read carefully the thread
since how can gnome-commander handles with Plugins of total-commander, ... if you know all can do total commander, you wont consider the alternatives proposed by linux today...We need a clone, not an ultra minimalist total commander. TC + plugins with wine is too slow

==
Please in this thread : no single talk about krusader (okay?)

tbroderick
January 19th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Start coding.

IYY
January 20th, 2007, 12:16 AM
What about Gnome-Commander?

meng
January 20th, 2007, 12:19 AM
There are lots of great file managers for Linux already.

RAV TUX
January 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM
TOTAL COMMANDER:) (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342141)

migla
January 20th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Please in this thread : no single talk about krusader (okay?)

What is krusader?

edit: ;)

rai4shu2
January 20th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Can't believe I'm posting this first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_managers

Choad
January 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM
i totally thought u were out of your tree, asking someone to clone supreme commander

lol

Kateikyoushi
January 20th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Can't believe I'm posting this first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_managers

Most of them are lightyears away from what TC can do.

spockrock
January 20th, 2007, 03:37 AM
TOTAL COMMANDER:) (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=342141)

hahahhahahaha....awesome....

btw if you meant to :lolflag:
if not you linked back to the thread........

RAV TUX
January 20th, 2007, 06:54 AM
hahahhahahaha....awesome....

btw if you meant to :lolflag:
if not you linked back to the thread........

just my sense of humor and a bit of circular reasoning pun thrown in for fun...glad someone appreciates my humor...

you rock!:guitar:

spockrock
January 20th, 2007, 07:17 AM
just my sense of humor and a bit of circular reasoning pun thrown in for fun...glad someone appreciates my humor...

you rock!:guitar:

hahaha thanks, but off topic I also at that time noticed the :lolflag: emoticon but is that gokus hair from dragon ball z. Also the admin or mod who added that is a god.......

K.Mandla
January 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
We need as great softwares & powerful as Windows, so please ?
http://www.ghisler.com/
Looks a lot like GNOME Commander (http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/), which is in the repos (http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/gnome/gnome-commander).

I can't believe it took me that long to realize what you'd done. Ugh. :mad:

burek
January 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
With your replies , hence the desesperate thing is that :
windows has always superior applications & softwares :( :( :(

Please I tried all alternatives in Linux and Total commander is by far far far superior and full of possibliitlies + plugins to any single linux alternative
(first post edited)

K.Mandla
January 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I think your only alternative is to run Total Commander in wine. Sorry. But if you can't code it the way you want it, you'll never find the exact thing you're looking for. :-?

tbroderick
January 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM
You should jon one of the file manager's (like GNOME Commander) mailing list and request specific feature(s). If the developer(s) like your ideas, they might do the work. But you should explain what you want and why. Don't just say you want a clone Total Commander.

Kateikyoushi
January 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
With your replies , hence the desesperate thing is that :
windows has always superior applications & softwares :( :( :(

Please I tried all alternatives in Linux and Total commander is by far far far superior and full of possibliitlies + plugins to any single linux alternative
(first post edited)

I disagree with that win always have better softs but in TC's case unfortunately true, linux commanders are so nineties.

rai4shu2
January 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM
It's hardly fair to compare most Linux apps that have been around about five years to a killer world-class app that's been around over ten years. Five years ago, TC was called "Windows Commander" and it wasn't any better than Gnome Commander is right now.

shining
January 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I disagree with that win always have better softs but in TC's case unfortunately true, linux commanders are so nineties.

There are probably others. Some people think it's the same for music players, and foobar2k

burek
January 20th, 2007, 12:07 PM
It's hardly fair to compare most Linux apps that have been around about five years to a killer world-class app that's been around over ten years. Five years ago, TC was called "Windows Commander" and it wasn't any better than Gnome Commander is right now.

I used windows commander since version 3, and I have real doubts about it ... but yes

Viva Linux, anyhow

(btw, for old pc: emelfm is more reacting than gnome-commander for old pc's .... )

Erik Trybom
January 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I also have to say that the single application I miss the most in Linux is Total Commander. Krusader is getting there, and XFE is sort of OK, but none of them really come close.

However, you don't just ask people to write excellent software for free. TC is a commercial application, and it's had several years of development. Now that there doesn't seem to ever be a TC for Linux, the best thing we can do is help the existing projects.

burek
January 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I also have to say that the single application I miss the most in Linux is Total Commander. Krusader is getting there, and XFE is sort of OK, but none of them really come close.

However, you don't just ask people to write excellent software for free. TC is a commercial application, and it's had several years of development. Now that there doesn't seem to ever be a TC for Linux, the best thing we can do is help the existing projects.

I dont recall if xfe handle the zip files ... emelfm is better for zip, rar ... quick go into ...
(krusader & gnome-commander are too heavy for a 32MB pc)

I think it is time now to think further in Linux & developments

Ubuntu is getting famous, and it is time to create worth & powerful applications (& FAST) for linux
Linux is getting better & better , so let 's make happy the new users in terms of : office apps, multimedia, securtiy, and games !

Let's all of us CODE !

Kateikyoushi
January 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
There are probably others. Some people think it's the same for music players, and foobar2k

Foobar is great indeed but I think most people prefer a music organizers especially sa their collection grows.

RAV TUX
January 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Let's all of us CODE !

As Linux users we should all learn and know how to code....

This would be a worthy endeavor...and one I need to pursue

Kateikyoushi
January 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Yes we should write our own apps, better ones even their OS.

burek
January 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Yes we should write our own apps, better ones even their OS.

So, we start this Project of Total Commander Clone, yes or not ?
Is there some volounters to go head CODING with us ?
(plugins import module will be quite difficult somehow: http://www.ghisler.com/dplugins.htm )

bonzodog
January 20th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Well, I still think that Thunar is by far the best File Manager I have ever come across, however, it is worth noting that Midnight Commander does everything that TC can AFAIK. Though, saying that, I'm not sure what the plugins add to it, as I haven't used a win machine for ~5 yrs.

Choad
January 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Well, I still think that Thunar is by far the best File Manager I have ever come across, however, it is worth noting that Midnight Commander does everything that TC can AFAIK. Though, saying that, I'm not sure what the plugins add to it, as I haven't used a win machine for ~5 yrs.
qft, thunar rules. it should be ported to gnome (avoid using the xfce libs) and used as default in ubuntu. nautilus is an unwieldy beast.

Tuna-Fish
January 21st, 2007, 12:21 AM
qft, thunar rules. it should be ported to gnome (avoid using the xfce libs) and used as default in ubuntu. nautilus is an unwieldy beast.

Doesn't xfce use the same gtk libs as gnome?

DoktorSeven
January 21st, 2007, 01:56 AM
BASH?

I mean, really, an all-in-one file browser is kind of opposite the way Linux does things. Each program does its part and doesn't really interfere with the others. In other words, a program in Linux is never really an all-in-one solution,. TC would be seen as kind of overkill/bloated for Linux, in truth.

But hey, it runs in Wine, apparently -- if you want TC in Linux, run it in Wine. :)

Kateikyoushi
January 22nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
I agree with your point linux generally tends to prefer smaller apps for one purpose but check FF, TC already uses plugins something similar could be used in linux.
TC is bloat ? Seriously I do not think these days when even subnotebooks come with half a gig memory the memory usage different between TC and gnome commander matters.

Anyway TC is one of the best piece of software I ever used.

dorcssa
January 22nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
I see no big difference between tc and krusader..but I use them(in tc's case used) for really avarage and basic stuff. Well, only one thing I noticed, when it comes to ftp, tc is far more better, but there are other ftp clients which can do the work.

father
July 24th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Tux Commander? with some development...

http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/

Spr0k3t
July 24th, 2007, 09:51 AM
A complete port of TC with full plugin support does not seem like it will happen. The best you will find are the many clones and offshots of similar systems out there. I'd drop a grand easily if I could have my favorite file manager, but it's not likely it would happen. I'd offer to port the code, but the file manager is closed source and much of it relys on windows components. Also, it doesn't work in Wine. I'd kill for Opus8 or higher on Linux. It's just that Opus4 doesn't mutt the custard. TC is decent... but I like Opus better.

roadrun777
September 7th, 2008, 06:23 AM
I happen to agree here. Gnome commander lacks archive/compression integration. It also likes to crash a lot when you try searching files.
Krusader comes closer to TC than Gnome-commander, but each one has some horrible, horrible, awful features. For ex. Krusader makes it very difficult to set up ftp links, while GC does this better. Neither let you customize the menus compared to TC, and again GC's lack of file compression handling is aggravating. To unpack a file I count five extra mouse clicks and being forced to switch from mouse to keyboard to mouse and back to keyboard just to handle a tar file.

Midnight Commander is really nice, although I haven't figured out how to change the way it looks at all, plus it is almost impossible to copy text from it. So when I am editing a .conf file I have to go load up GC (gnome-commander) and view the file so I can copy text from one file to another.
It's aggravating. I know there has to be a way to copy text from a console window running MC but I haven't figure out how to yet.

With TC I can check MD5, unpack, move, change permissions and edit in under 5 seconds with no mouse involved. With MC certain keys don't function correctly, like TAB, you would think tab would move your focus caret, but noooo (lol). It just pukes some ANSI code on the command line.
With kr and GC you frequently need to switch back and forth from mouse and keyboard, extremely inefficient, not to mention breaking your flow.
And I truly hate gnome's archive manager. I wish that I could have context extraction options on any archive file I right click on. Even if its in a console.

So, does TC really run in wine? I would think it would have trouble with the linux file system?!? Otherwise I will try it out.

And before you smart off and say for me to write my own OS, well I AM! So far it's been one year of work, and 1 man working on it, and I have probably another 12 years left. So there!
\\:D/

karellen
September 7th, 2008, 07:04 AM
for me Krusader is just fine

KillerSponge
September 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Well, running TC in Wine would be quite pointless, as it would only be able to read the wine filesystem...

But Tuxcommander looks VERY promising! It looks like an almost exact clone, although it is still under development, and a lot of features aren't implemented yet (archive support, remote connections), but the feel is there already, and I personally can't wait for it to be 'ready-for-use' :grin:

zmjjmz
September 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Well, running TC in Wine would be quite pointless, as it would only be able to read the wine filesystem...

No, it could read past .wine.
And it has a Platinum on AppDB.

original_jamingrit
September 7th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yay for necromancy!

Myself, I've always been partial to worker (http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/). It has support for archive access and ftp, ssh, plus others. Plus it's got that old-school look.

bkraptor
January 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Wow @ tuxcmd. I have no clue how I haven't found out about it earlier. It's a lot better than gnome-commander!

Thanks!

CrazyArcher
January 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
No, it could read past .wine.

+1. I was surprised myself when I installed it in Wine that it can crawl through all the directories and did the basic operations just fine. Never tried to work with plugins in Linux, though.

handy
January 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yay for necromancy!

Myself, I've always been partial to worker (http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/). It has support for archive access and ftp, ssh, plus others. Plus it's got that old-school look.

You are the only other person I have seen in this forum who also likes Worker.

I am an old Amigan, & DOpus was the centre of computing on the AmigaOS for me in those days, so when I found Worker I was extremely happy, & configured it to suit my needs.

I used to use Total Commander on windows, though I would have preferred to use Worker as it gives me more options for configuration.

naxa
May 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hey all,

just that's why Double Commander is out there - to clone TC!
http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/
After a year of work, it's just stepped into beta stage with version 0.4. It is under active development.
It is said that DC was inspired by TC, and among the features are Compressed files handing, Multi-rename tool, search tool, support for TC plugins and so on, already. (However I've never tried TC plugins in linux, it sounds bizarre since they are written as windows dlls... one day I should try how they meant that). It has Unicode support and already supports regex in file search, too. It comes with Background in all file operations and also Pause/Start.
However it's maybe far from complete, it's already a start. I am positive that this project will evelop into a powerful clone.

handy
May 10th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Worker is very mature, I forget how many years now, though I'm sure it is at least 8 years old & still being actively maintained by its creator.

Horses for courses anyway, what suits one, is a nightmare for another.

I like the minimal resource requirements of Worker, & the incredible configurability, though in the end, the only reason I used TC years ago, when I was on Windows, was because it was as close as I could get to Jonathon Potter's wonderful DOpus, on the Amiga, & Worker is a DOpus clone... :D

alexthunder
May 12th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I've tried Gnome Commander, Tux Commander, RCommander, Krusader, Worker, ... The best alternative to Total Commander for me is Double Commander. It is far from ideal, but I got used to the keyboard shortcuts of Total Commander, so it is hard to use something like Krusader.

cariboo
May 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Have you tried mc?

clanky
May 12th, 2010, 06:53 PM
old thread is old

JohnM1
July 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Double Commander is the answer.

I've been using Ubuntu for years, tried every single file manager, but always gone back to Total Commander under Wine.

But now I've been using Double Commander for a week. It's the best. At last someone has got it right.

uriel1998
November 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
I found DoubleCommander to be extremely slow with file operations - otherwise, it was the best clone. But that slowness was really a big deal-killer for me.

TuxCommander, once configured, has been my general go-to for a native client. It's configurable enough, and the hotkeys for bookmarks are better than Gnome-Commander's.

However, I missed Lister, the file-viewer in TC. And I missed the built-in zip function (I work with eBooks that get persnickety about HOW they're zipped - TC has always done it right, file-roller not so much). And I discovered this hack (http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=17082&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=52c248226311deea130dfb4541ac0590) to make program associations work right:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WINE_BROWSER.file\shell\open\com mand]
@="winebrowser \"%1\""
So I created the file below and imported it into the WINE registry. And boom! Working Total Commander. The only issue has been the HTML files - probably because they're old ones I imported with execute flags from a Windows system.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="video/avi"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="image/bmp"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.css]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="text/css"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.eps]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="application/postscript"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gif]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="image/gif"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.gz]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="application/x-gzip"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="text/html"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="text/html"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ico]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="image/x-icon"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ini]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jfif]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="image/jpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpe]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpeg]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="audio/mpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpe]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="video/mpeg"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpeg]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="image/png"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ps]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="application/postscript"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tar]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="application/x-tar"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tgz]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="application/x-compressed"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="image/tiff"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tiff]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="image/tiff"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
@="txtfile"
"Content Type"="text/plain"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wav]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="audio/wav"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wri]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xbm]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="image/x-xbitmap"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="text/xml"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xsl]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="text/xml"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip]
@="WINE_BROWSER.file"
"Content Type"="application/x-zip-compressed"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WINE_BROWSER.file\shell\open\com mand]
@="winebrowser \"%1\""

uriel1998
November 21st, 2010, 09:35 PM
One additional note (if anyone else is finding this thread, so they don't have to find the solutions):

Use WINE's regedit to make your favorite paths part of the environment:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment]
"Path"="z:\\\\usr\\\\bin;h:\\\\Apps"

(I've installed many of my java apps in the Apps subdirectory off my home directory.) While this doesn't allow %P%N opening from the button bar, it does mean you can type

xterm

and have it be in the right directory as well.