PDA

View Full Version : BBC To Cut Costs....

Johnsie
January 19th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Yesterday the BBC was told they can't have as much money as they wanted. But would they save license payers money by switching to Linux? If this something we can encourage to happen?

floke
January 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I've read that (apparently) it already enjoys fairly wide use within the BBC (especially within the weather department) on an unofficial basis - i.e. that an informal blind-eye to the use of Linux exists for many IT staff.

Who knows how true this is though. But it's a nice thought (and a nice idea) - the Beeb needs all the help it can get.

Omnios
January 19th, 2007, 11:00 PM
If the stigma of Linux costs money is broken then a lot of organizations might consider Linux. The stigma is there are more M$ tecki's as apposed to Linux but if they used linux and hired Linux licenced teckies how much would they save as I do not see putting a Linux tecki on payroll any different than a M$ tecki and the result would be a sytem based on what they are doing not bending there system to M$. Though this might be a bit more complicated it would result in a cheaper system catered to there needs.

Basicly M$ is trying to say Linux is expencive yet much cheaper to achieve the same results for a better overall system.

Johnsie
January 19th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well, I know the guys on Click dont seem to talk about Linux too much.... I guess they are trying to please their mainly Windows audience or maybe they are just Windows fans. I'd personally like to see them talk about open source more on that and the news a little more than they do right now. The BBC are of course one of the leading propogand companies in the UK and the world so it would be great to have them on our side.

floke
January 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Or maybe we just need a Linux freak in the BB house!

KaroSHiv0n
January 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Or maybe we just need a Linux freak in the BB house!

rofl. the mere idea. 'so wots that? like a computer or something? you ***** peice of *** from ********************** ! ****** my ********* ??!'

ComplexNumber
January 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Yesterday the BBC was told they can't have as much money as they wanted. But would they save license payers money by switching to Linux? If this something we can encourage to happen?
yeah, but the BBC is the BBC. they don't think logically like that. they just think: "right, how much can we screw the british public out of this year by hiking up the licence fee above inflation, yet show the same old crappy repeats and programmes that only appeal to the lowest common demominator of our society(eg Big brother and other drivel) on tv".
soon, the BBC are converting from analogue to digital, and guess which mugs are going to pay for it? yup, you guessed it! us!

floke
January 19th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Are you serious? When it comes to the BBC vs ITV, C4, C5 for quality progs (not forgetting BBC radio) then it's a no-brainer.

Anyway, this isn't a 'discuss the BBC' thread, but about the use of Linux at the BBC, so I won't go on :)

ComplexNumber
January 19th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Are you serious? When it comes to the BBC vs ITV, C4, C5 for quality progs (not forgetting BBC radio) then it's a no-brainer.

Anyway, this isn't a 'discuss the BBC' thread, but about the use of Linux at the BBC, so I won't go on :)
yeah, you're right. its true what i say, though. i originally intended to get round to speaking about linux as regards to the BBC, but i got carried away on a rant :p. the BBC dont favour anything or anyone unless a) it brings them in lots of money and b) panders to political correctness, so they're a waste of space IMO. seeing that linux users are counted as a "minority group", i would have thought that the BBC would have bent over backwards trying to do all they can for us. but unfortunately, money talks louder than "minority groups"....and microsoft has spoken.

floke
January 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Well, like Johnsie says at the top - you'd have thought that click at least would do a bit more to support it. As for being a minority group, I'm not tooooo bothered about that - as long as everything works ok, then at least we have the benefit of few viruses etc. (i know this isn't due directly to the small user base, but its a factor). Saying that, though, given the choice between (a) status quo, and (b) 'Lx world domination' - I'd go for the latter.

Actually, why not write to the BBC and ask them. Think I'll do that.

I'll let you know what happens.

smoker
January 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM

the bbc always ask for more than they know they are going to get, it is a tradition with them. of course they could save money switching to linux, as well as a hundred other ways, but as the great british public pays for the bbc, they will never willingly concede that they can survive on less. it is time the bbc was sold off to whoever would be interested in buying, i personally, could do with spending my licence fee money on better things.

so linux, yes, but the bbc wont change as long as the british taxpayers are suckers!:D

floke
January 20th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Well, not a 100% fan of the BBC (by its nature its impossible to be a 100% fan), but again what would you rather have? You think the BBC should be sold off and turned into another ITV - enjoying record low viewing figures and advertising revenues??

Anyway, my information request on the BBC policy/attitude towards Linux has been dispatched, so will let the forum know as soon as (assuming I do) hear anything....

teaker1s
January 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM
role on 2012 hopefully like sky it will be pay per view-then I can pay for exactly what I watch and not subsidise something I don't use and have zero interest paying for.
I don't deny that if enjoy the bbc's services then they are value for money,I'd rather spend the money on discovery and nature channels.:biggrin:

smoker
January 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Well, not a 100% fan of the BBC (by its nature its impossible to be a 100% fan), but again what would you rather have? You think the BBC should be sold off and turned into another ITV - enjoying record low viewing figures and advertising revenues??

Anyway, my information request on the BBC policy/attitude towards Linux has been dispatched, so will let the forum know as soon as (assuming I do) hear anything....

definitely not a fan of throwing money down a drain! but it is not a debate about the good and bad of the bbc!

good luck with your request, and i hope you get a prompt positive reply:D

floke
January 28th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Ok, so it's been a week and no reply.
Time to get on the phone methinks!

beercz
January 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Just a comment about the BBC:

A lot of my international friends think the BBC is the best broadcaster in the world, better thank what they have in their countries. They are very jealous of the UK having the BBC.

Also for our license fee we get 7 advertising free BBC channels, 5 national radio stations, local radio stations, fantastic news output, high quality programming and a huge website full of fantastic content, including free downloads of programs that we may have missed (both TV and radio), some live. All for around £15 per month.

I could go on, but I am a bit of a fan. Try watching TV in other countries like the US and then compare!

Having said all that, I do wish they would cover more linux/open source stuff, esp. on Click which I do watch from time to time.

azkehmm
January 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Advertising free TV beats commercial TV any time... :)

And yeah, all ya brits, go and write a letter to BBC and convince them to use linux. Hopefully the danish public service tv-stations will learn from them if they do switch :)

Redache
January 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Well, like Johnsie says at the top - you'd have thought that click at least would do a bit more to support it. As for being a minority group, I'm not tooooo bothered about that - as long as everything works ok, then at least we have the benefit of few viruses etc. (i know this isn't due directly to the small user base, but its a factor). Saying that, though, given the choice between (a) status quo, and (b) 'Lx world domination' - I'd go for the latter.

What you've got to remember is Click are a technology news program, They don't do so much on Open Source and Linux because they see it as too large a minefield plus Microsoft would throw hissy fits with them.

I think the BBC are wonderful because they have one of the best news channels. They usually have unbiased opinion and are pretty fair with what they show. I don't mind paying a TV license for what the BBC has to offer. I'd prefer it to having another ITV anyday.