PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Weather Warning

NoVista
January 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Was wondering what some of you thought was the best Weather program available.

ComplexNumber
January 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Was wondering what some of you thought was the best Weather program available.
concerning what aspect of the weather?

for weather reports that i know of, i would say either the weather applet(gives a forecast of the weather) in gnome or liquid weather(superkaramba) for kde are probably the best IMO.

DerHesse
January 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM
forecatsfox plugin for ff :D

tagra123
January 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM
forecastsfox for firefox seems much more stable -- doesn't lock up a lot like the weather applet does.

Also I bookmarked, in the firefox panel, NOAA for my city for much more detailed and accurate forecasts than accuweather or weather channel.

Mateo
January 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Weather applet has never locked up for me..

fuscia
January 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
look out the window.

tagra123
January 21st, 2007, 02:28 AM
Weather applet has never locked up for me..

I think it depends on the city. When I used Lima, Oh locked up frequently. Put findlay in for a few days and work just fine. Seem to happen when refreshing data. Anyway the forcastfox works flawlessly fo me.

euler_fan
January 21st, 2007, 02:38 AM
forecatsfox plugin for ff :D

Me too. have had no problems with it. I think I will try the NOAA weather thing though.

zanglang
January 21st, 2007, 05:03 AM
I like the weather applet, but it only shows current weather unless you click it for details. I wish someone would write an applet that properly shows forecast data from accuweather like Forecastfox. :p

Bezmotivnik
January 22nd, 2007, 06:22 AM
OK, so I tried ForecastFox -- and it's inaccurate. It updates, but apparently doesn't get the correct information from its own source. It says it's 50 and when you click on it it goes to the page and it shows it's 44.

What's the point?

mips
January 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
OK, so I tried ForecastFox -- and it's inaccurate. It updates, but apparently doesn't get the correct information from its own source. It says it's 50 and when you click on it it goes to the page and it shows it's 44.

What's the point?

Weird mine works fine. Are you looking at the days forecast or the current one ?

See attached image.

tagra123
January 22nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
If you right-click on the current weather icon (at the bottom) and click on options then you can set the refresh rate.

Profiles

Change profiles every _____ minutes

Mine is set at 2 minutes -- accurate enough.

If the data at te website changes before another refresh you'll see different results.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
Are you looking at...the current one ?
Yeah.

The refresh doesn't change it, either.

Weird.

Apparently the plugin doesn't always interact properly with the particular weather page for the area selected.

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I just installed it in Ubuntu and it has the identical problem as in XP.

This is ForecastFox Enhanced, if that makes any difference. ](*,)

mips
January 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I just installed it in Ubuntu and it has the identical problem as in XP.

This is ForecastFox Enhanced, if that makes any difference. ](*,)

I use the normal version.

rasbach
January 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
IMHO, if you really need to know what the weather is like outside- you're probably spending too much time on your computer. :wink:

Bezmotivnik
January 23rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
As I suspected, it's a problem with the linked site; AccuWeather.Com just isn't very accu for my area.

The page has shown a twenty-degree fluctuation in the past few minutes and is now off by at least twenty degrees.

There's also a problem with the way the plugin accesses it.

Plugin uninstalled. :frown:

Pobega
January 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
I personally use adesklets, I think it's the best for my weather needs; And it doesn't get in the way.