PDA

View Full Version : General questiona bout computer safety

Coop
January 19th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Hello
I want to ask some general questions about computer safety:

1.Is it okay to turn the monitor off while the system is running?

2.Is it okay to turn the computer off by the power button on the cpu?

3.Is it okay to disconnect the computer's power supply before turning off the monitor and speakers and modem and other peripherals?

4.Does Linux disturb or interfere with the internet?

Please answer me
Ahmed

Coop
January 19th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Hi
The correct title of the thread is "General questions about computer safety"
Ahmed

KaeseEs
January 19th, 2007, 01:45 AM
The short and sweet:

#1 is OK all the time.

#2 is generally a Bad Idea, even though pressing (not holding) the power button will normally just cause the OS to shut the computer down, it's safer to just click through. (For future reference, the power button is connected from the case to the motherboard, not the cpu)

#3 should be fine, as long as you don't disconnect while the computer itself is still running; I don't see quite why you would want to do this, however.

#4 gives no worries at all; a huge percentage of all websites run Linux themselves (for example, Google is entirely Linux-powered).

Coop
January 19th, 2007, 01:50 AM
KaeseEs thank you for your answer
Ahmed

Tomosaur
January 19th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Hello
I want to ask some general questions about computer safety:

1.Is it okay to turn the monitor off while the system is running?

2.Is it okay to turn the computer off by the power button on the cpu?

3.Is it okay to disconnect the computer's power supply before turning off the monitor and speakers and modem and other peripherals?

4.Does Linux disturb or interfere with the internet?

Please answer me
Ahmed

1) Yes.
2) No - depending on what your computer is doing. Best practice is to shut down properly before switching off. Just turning it off can lead to data loss and/or corruption, but there are safeguards against this. Just don't do it.
3) No, for the same reason above. Monitor and speakers should be ok. Peripherals which handle some data internally may not be safe from this, but it really just depends on what each piece of hardware is. Depending on the configuration of your home-electrical system, this could cause problems elsewhere too, although it's unlikely.
4) I don't understand this question. The internet is a network of computers. Every node (computer) which is added to the network will impact performance very very slightly (so little that it is barely ever noticeable). Theoretically, a large enough amount of people on the internet could cause it to grind to a halt, but the number of servers out there far exceeds the number of computers required to do this. Occasionally, a concentrated attack can knock servers offline for a while (this is known as a DoS attack, and is basically just a large number of computers making repetitive and constant requests for data from a server. The server can't handle the load, and either locks up, or is otherwise slowed to virtually a halt. Linux does not impact the internet any more than any other operating system.

Coop
January 19th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Thank you Tomosaur for your answer.
I asked the 4th question because when I was in Karachi last year (right now I'm living in Sydney,Australia),my ISP refused to let the internet work with Linux and the reason they gave is that Linux is rare so it interferes with the internet connection and wiring etc.
Ahmed

Tomosaur
January 19th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Thank you Tomosaur for your answer.
I asked the 4th question because when I was in Karachi last year (right now I'm living in Sydney,Australia),my ISP refused to let the internet work with Linux and the reason they gave is that Linux is rare so it interferes with the internet connection and wiring etc.
Ahmed

Nah, your ISP doesn't know what it's talking about. Certain modems do not work on linux, but that's a hardware issue, and nothing whatsoever to do with the internet. I assume the person you were talking to just doesn't know what linux is.

Dragonbite
January 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM
The only thing to keep in mind is if your monitor doubles as a USB hub. My monitor is a 4-port USB hub and turning off the power to the monitor turns off the power to the hub (this may have been corrected with newer monitors). I've noticed the biggest problem with Microsoft blaring out a message about loosing connection to the hub but I haven't tried it with Linux yet.