PDA

View Full Version : When will shipit start shipping post-Dapper releases of Ubuntu?

Coop
January 18th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Hello
When will Canonical's shipit service start shipping post-Dapper releases of Ubuntu?
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn or Ubuntu 7.10 or a later release?
Please answer me.
Ahmed

mips
January 18th, 2007, 11:47 PM
From what I understand they will only ship Dapper LTS.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue14#head-1e3555bea7bd06018bbadcf89ed23281e09d78f1

This might change in future but i think they are going to stick to the LTS releases.

dvarsam
January 19th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Hello!

From what I understand they will only ship Dapper LTS. This might change in future but i think they are going to stick to the LTS releases.

I hope that at least they decide to ship "Feisty Fawn" CDs (if they don't want to do this with the current "Edgy").
Besides, who will want to order a "Dapper" CD, if voice chat is available/possible with the coming of "Feisty Fawn"?
Thanks.

23meg
January 19th, 2007, 12:46 AM
From what I understand they will only ship Dapper LTS.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue14#head-1e3555bea7bd06018bbadcf89ed23281e09d78f1

This might change in future but i think they are going to stick to the LTS releases.That announcement is pretty old; what it means to say is that Shipit will stick to Dapper instead of shipping Edgy, not that they'll only ship LTS releases in the future. It's most likely that they'll only not ship LTS+1 releases, since those (like Edgy) will probably have less than six months of time in which they'll be the latest stable version.

zerhacke
January 19th, 2007, 12:46 AM
The thing about giving people Feisty or Edgy is that it's not going to be supported at some point. Dapper will be for a long time to come.

If I were a new Linux user I would want something with long term support so I wouldn't have to continually download CDs and/or update the whole system over and over. New to Linux users most of the time want that long term support.

23meg
January 19th, 2007, 12:49 AM
If I were a new Linux user I would want something with long term support so I wouldn't have to continually download CDs and/or update the whole system over and over. New to Linux users most of the time want that long term support.Long term support will only mean that security fixes keep coming; if you want new software versions, you'll still have to upgrade, as is the case with every release. And new users do usually want the latest and greatest, not the older and more stable. Long term support is more appealing for server and enterprise users.

Mateo
January 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM
why would anyone not upgrade with the upgrade manager. wouldn't it get annoying to see the * in your system tray all the time?

23meg
January 19th, 2007, 01:03 AM
why would anyone not upgrade with the upgrade manager. wouldn't it get annoying to see the * in your system tray all the time?If things are working perfectly, new versions of software and new features aren't needed, there wouldn't be a reason to upgrade. Not everyone wants to have the latest and greatest; some people just want to perform a specific set of tasks with their OS, and as long as those tasks do not change and are performable with a specific version, they stay with that version.

Dragonbite
January 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Some people also don't want to spend all night long with their system downloading all of the upgrade files over dial-up, let alone try and download a full ISO to install the newer version.

Dragonbite
April 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM
They Will be shipping Feisty Fawn! =D> (yea!) I just wentt to ShipIt (https://shipit.ubuntu.com/myrequest) and I see the message

We'll be back in a few days, shipping Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) CDs.
So great! Look forward to ordering it from them! Woo Hoo!

Rock On! :guitar:

Dual Cortex
April 4th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I was thinking they would start shipping Edgy when feisty came out.

karellen
April 4th, 2007, 07:20 PM
anyone who has a decent internet connection should dowload the new versions of ubuntu instead of requesting piles of free cd's from canonical, imho

EdThaSlayer
April 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I guess they will start shipping post-Dapper releases when the new Feisty Fawn comes out. :)

Dragonbite
April 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM
anyone who has a decent internet connection should dowload the new versions of ubuntu instead of requesting piles of free cd's from canonical, imhoWell, since I don't have broadband I'll be one who orders the CDs (plus more to pass around whenever I get a chance).