PDA

View Full Version : Worried about external HD on flight...

darweth
January 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Hello Ubuntu friends. I sometimes get paranoid over the stupidest things. I am flying to Vegas tonight to stay with my good friend for 12 days. She has a MAC (I have never used one) and I wanted to access my music collection AND movies AND photos while I am there. I ran out and bought a Seagate 320gb 7200.10 drive + Vantec enclosure for this purpose. Formatted the baby in the HORRIBLE FAT32 filesystem and it filled it up! I went through all this work and now I am having concerns and second thoughts of bringing it. :D

Everything from fear of scanners damaging data (okay, not much... I know people bring Laptops, iPods, etc. all of the time) to fear of being stopped for carrying it on (the real fear). I would not trust my drive in stow-away and would prefer to bring it on in a little messenger bag. I am just worried will see a slim black aluminum Vantec case as a threat and take it away or something! PARANOIA! Some of this data is only on the drive because I decided to use it as a back-up as well. Are my fears silly? With the security-state and fear of objects on domestic flights, I am just concerned. Should I just take the damn drive and not think about it?

btw --- this is a domestic flight from NYC to Vegas.

Somenoob
January 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Keep it on a bag in the plane and not the one in the cargo.

JamieC
January 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm not an expert, but I think they should let you on.

If not, you may be asked to put it in the luggage hold, I'd prepare for that possibility if I were you. If you have a bag you could pad it using something, maybe bubble wrap or towels or something?

mcduck
January 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Keep it in your hand luggage and it should be fine. Also, scanners used on airports are based on x-rays, not electromagnetic induction, so they do not damage hard drives.

~LoKe
January 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Honestly, I would just box it up, pad it, wrap it in clothing if I have to, and toss it in the cargo area.

Josh1
January 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I've seen loads of people with laptops + external harddrives on planes.. You should be fine!

mips
January 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
It will be fine !

Trust me...
http://www.sledgehammeronline.com/img-color/sledgehammer_5en.jpg
http://www.sledgehammeronline.com/sle5-5.htm (http://www.sledgehammeronline.com/sle5-5.htm)

FuturePilot
January 18th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Just don't check it in. They tend to handle baggage roughly and that's definitely not good for a hard drive.

Duppy
January 18th, 2007, 10:55 PM
If you wrapped it in towels then it should be ok.

You should be worrying if it was a laptop with an LCD screen but its hasnt got a screen to break so it should be ok.

Still, ask if you can take it on hand luggage.

mips
January 18th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Just don't check it in. They tend to handle baggage roughly and that's definitely not good for a hard drive.

Putting your hard drive inside your clothing luggage would be fine. the non operational Gś are nothing compared to what it was designed for.

ububaba
January 19th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Keep it on a bag in the plane and not the one in the cargo.

Would they let you do it if you look like a person from the Middle East?:rolleyes:

Kateikyoushi
January 19th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I used to keep mine in my hand luggage, no damage so far neither to xfs nor ext and even the fat partition survived.

prizrak
January 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM
You won't have a problem in general they allow electronics on without a problem. I was asked about a USB drive before (basically the woman didn't know what it was) it was fine once I told her what it was. NYC security tends to be sort of lax for going out of NYC it's when you fly from other places to NYC they get paranoid.